We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Las Hadas or Blue Bay i Manzanilo or back to Huatulco?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
125 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Las Hadas or Blue Bay i Manzanilo or back to Huatulco?

Hi all you knowledgeable travellers; My husband and I are thinking about Manzanillo as an affordable alternative(roughly 1/2 price now) to our beloved Huatulco (no kids this time). I see Las Hadas is a Las Brisas property and we like Las Brisas in Hux. I am wondering how Las Hadas and Blue Bay compare. We like beach, quiet and great authentic Mexican food - the rest is icing. What do you have to say? Hoping Jova was the last for the residents of Manzanillo and area!!!!!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo, Saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Las Hadas or Blue Bay i Manzanilo or back to Huatulco?

Hi there! From what I've seen and heard, Las Hadas and Blue Bay are very different in terms of hotels; Blue Bay is a bit more of a budget hotel; still quite nice, but not completely comparable.

Also, Blue Bay is located about 45 minutes north of the airport, which is 45 minutes north of Manzanillo, so you won't have access to restaurants offsite. The closest town is La Manzanillo, which is a pretty little seaside town about 15 minutes away. It's a very nice property, with lots of lovely beach, though; if you're looking for quiet, to relax and get away from it all, Blue Bay is a great choice.

If you want easy access to great restaurants and shopping, though, Las Hadas is a better choice. It's a very pretty hotel in a very area. There are great restaurants in walking distance in the community of Las Hadas, or for a longer walk (or cheap taxi ride) you have access to lots of markets and restaurants that serve all kinds of food.

Las Hadas has been a fairly quiet hotel. Not sure why, or whether it will be the same this year, but in past years, even during the height of the tourist season, they keep the hotel occupancy rate very low; between that, and the layout of the hotel, it's possible to have a very quiet, private experience there.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Las Hadas or Blue Bay i Manzanilo or back to Huatulco?

Sorry to reply to my own reply, but a happy medium between Blue Bay and Las Hadas might be Gran Festivall - looks like they've got similar pricing to Blue Bay, but they're located in Santiago, a suburb of Manzanillo very close to the hotel zone, and right across the street from a really great beach area, with shopping and restaurants.

The hotel itself is the same star rating as Blue Bay, but it's been recently rebranded, and has gotten pretty good reviews recently, and it's nicely located.

Just a thought...

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
490 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Las Hadas or Blue Bay i Manzanilo or back to Huatulco?

Great advice above.

If Blue Bay and Las Hadas are priced about the same;, I would strongly vote for Las Hadas.

Manzanillo
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Las Hadas or Blue Bay i Manzanilo or back to Huatulco?

Blue Bay is more than 1-1/2 hours from Manzanillo's hotel zone, in another state-Jalisco. It is quite isolated, with not too much around to do. The closest town is La Manzanilla, and if you stay at Blue Bay, you'd have to take a taxi out to the main highway if you even hope to get a bus. Better to rent a car at he airport so you will not feel so isolated. La Hadas has lost some of its glow over the years, and there are a lot of steps to get anywhere. Not sure what you are looking for in a hotel. Therre are a lot of children at Gran Festival and Hotel Tesoro. Some rooms can really hear the disco at night. Maybe if I know exactly what you're looking for, I could help more.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
125 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Las Hadas or Blue Bay i Manzanilo or back to Huatulco?

Thanks everyone - We would not be taking the kids on this trip and are not disco people. Mostly just relaxing and a nice beach (more beach people than pool people). Las Hadas does look like a good option!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,181 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Las Hadas or Blue Bay i Manzanilo or back to Huatulco?

My husband and I have stayed at both the Blue Bay and the Las Hadas in Manzanillo (and the Crown Pacific in Huatulco).

Out of those three- the Las Hadas is the nicest, as the other posters said. The Blue Bay is on a gorgeous beach- but the hotel (common areas and rooms) leaves a LOT to be desired- unless they have done a major renovation since we stayed there in about 2008, and I don't think they have. It was just a bit tired and shabby.

The food was surprisingly decent for a 3 star, though. Lots of Mexican food since they cater to nationals. (The BEST cinnamon hot chocolate at breakfast!!) I know what some people did was pay once they got there for a ocean front junior suite (much nicer than a regular room, and lovely huge balconies with loungers!) or moved to the Punta Serena next door (adults only). It is also quite isolated and remote....we enjoyed that but not everyone would. We took day trips to La Manzanilla and also to Tenacatita (latter is sadly closed to the public now...I think still?). We also took kayaks out every morning where hubby fished along the rocks- crystal clear water, dolphins swimming alongside us...very cool.

If you aren't that fussy and you like quiet, and the Blue Bay is FAR cheaper- you might want to go for it, and just upgrade your room. :)

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Las Hadas or Blue Bay i Manzanilo or back to Huatulco?

Hi Rissask! I just posted an article I found about the possible reopening of Tenacatita in another thread.

Mr. Cowtipper and I haven't been north of the airport yet, but with this upcoming three-week trip, it would be nice to be able to do a day-trip north and visit a newly reopened Tenacatita!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,181 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Las Hadas or Blue Bay i Manzanilo or back to Huatulco?

That is good news! We really liked it there. Quite good snorkeling at Playa Mora. Lovely 'spit' of land at the end, with the double sided beach....make sure you climb up to the top- quite the vista! :)

9. Re: Las Hadas or Blue Bay i Manzanilo or back to Huatulco?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Manzanillo