We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volacno Tours - worth going?

Which Manzanillo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg
Level Contributor
481 posts
Save Topic
Volacno Tours - worth going?

My husband is a geology nut and wants to go. No recent postings but wondering if its worth it. I know you can only get within four miles.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Volacno Tours - worth going?

We were in Colima when they were "puffing". Did not take a tour just observed from a far.

Colima's town square is possibly the most lovely in all of Mexico but the town IMO deteriorates quickly a few blocks of the Plaza.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo, Saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Volacno Tours - worth going?

The volcano tour is really pretty and scenic, and great for standard folks like myself, but it may not be as thrilling as a couple of geology nuts might like it to be. :) They take you to a very pretty little lookout point, but most tours don't take you close enough to be able to get your hands dirty in the rocks.

Edited: 22 October 2011, 16:18
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,171 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Volacno Tours - worth going?

how long is the tour and how long does it take to get there?

Alberta Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Volacno Tours - worth going?

My wife and I took the bus to Colima and went on the full day [6 hr] tour with

Jupiter from Admire Mexico tours. We liked it and will probably take some friends on it this year. Jupiter is a very knowledgeable man and gives a very

interesting narrative about the volcano, a coffee plantation, a local museum,

and the area in general. Lunch at Zocalo in Comala was included. See link below for his tours.

http://www.admiremexicotours.com/tours.html

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo, Saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Volacno Tours - worth going?

We did ours with Tlaloc Tours, and had a great time. It's a full day tour (8 hours) and includes food, a couple of beers, and air-conditioned vehicles.

You can find more detail at their website; select Colima Tours, and then COMALA ECO-VOLCANO TOUR.

www.tlaloctours.com

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
9,171 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Volacno Tours - worth going?

thank you! :)

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Volacno Tours - worth going?

Jupiter of Admire Mexico Tours also does a great Snow Volcano Tour http://www.admiremexicotours.com/tour3.html up the snow volcano (the inactive twin of the active volcano). I have been on that tour and have sent many people on it and it is well worth the early morning start. Everyone comes back raving about it even though it involves about 45 minutes of hiking up around 4000 Meters in altitude. From the observation point at 4000 meters used by the University Volcanologists you get the best and closest view possible of the active volcano. That tour does require an overnight in Colima though because the departure is early in the morning. You're back in time to get the ETN back to Manzanillo that night though.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
481 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Volacno Tours - worth going?

Awesome everyone. Thank you so much.

Comala, Colima
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Volacno Tours - worth going?

Hi, for safety reasons we can not get closer than the 4 miles, since 2009 not even scientists are going up. They monitor the activity by plane and other devices. If you are a geologist you would be definitly interested in the Snow Volcano Tour.

We leave around 6:00am and we return around 4:00pm to Colima city.

10. Re: Volacno Tours - worth going?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Manzanillo