We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Realistic time to be at airport in advance of flight....

Which Manzanillo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
503 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Realistic time to be at airport in advance of flight....

I know they say be 3 hours before departure but now that our flights have changed and our flight leaves at 8:20 a.m. to go back home, I am thinking that the shuttle will have to pick us up around 4:30 a.m. at the latest and that is just too early with small children. Therefore I am thinking I will take a taxi to airport. If my flight is 8:20 a.m., does anyone have any suggestions as to a good time to leave the Karmina Palace to make my flight. I am thinking 30 minutes there and max 90 minutes for check in, which means we could get a taxi around 6:20 a.m. We are travelling Air Transat Club Class as well, so I believe we get priority check in if there is a line. Anyone have any thoughts?

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo, Saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Realistic time to be at airport in advance of flight....

IMHO, it might be cutting it a bit close, to arrive at the airport just after 7:00AM for a flight leaving at 8:20AM. The plane will probably start boarding at around 7:45, which gives you a very short period of time to make it through the luggage inspection and all that stuff.

Lethbridge, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo
Level Contributor
581 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Realistic time to be at airport in advance of flight....

That's a tough one. I'm pretty sure that they are not going to leave without you and that it is probably the only canadian flight at that time.

We have pretty much got there 2 to 2.5 hours before take off and usually make it before the buses from the resorts show up. All this means is that if we haven't got a confirmed seat yet we get it before the crowd shows up. It also means a shorter line for checking our baggage.

We usually check in and then go outside and sit on the lawn for a couple of hours, drink beer and watch happy tourists leaving the airport and unhappy ones coming to the airport.

I don't know what the club class does for you but I am guessing it means your seat is already approved.

I think your timing would be fine!

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
2,985 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Realistic time to be at airport in advance of flight....

When I reserve seats ahead, as you did, and have an early flight, I feel 1 1/2 hours ahead is plenty. I think you can check in on-line 24 hours ahead with air-transat also from some international airports. Call them and ask if Manzanillo has that service, then you will have peace of mind if you check in the day before you leave.

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
1,959 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Realistic time to be at airport in advance of flight....

I don't think that you can check in online from Manzanillo with Air Transat ...I know I couldn't from Puerto Vallarta in Nov. Please let us know if you can.

When I flew out of Manzanillo last March...(with Continental)...I was surprised at the very thorough hand search through our luggage. It seemed to take much longer then what we've experienced in other airports. Not sure it will be the same with Air Transat.

Edited: 17 December 2011, 06:03
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo, Saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Realistic time to be at airport in advance of flight....

The luggage inspection is the same across the board; it's done by airport personnel, and indeed it IS a very enthusiastic, in-depth search of every single suitcase.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Realistic time to be at airport in advance of flight....

I always tried to get there before the giant bus or buses from the 'airport transfers included' resorts pulled up and disgorged their huge load of passengers. Or, failing that I tried for last minute when that group had already been processed and threaded their way through security.

This is a teeny tiny little airport. A lot of the time needed in airports is just for the huge distance one must cover to get from point A to point B. At ZLO it is less than a 30 second walk from the check-in counter to the security gate that leads to the boarding lounge and less than a 20 second walk from the security gate to the boarding lounge.

Once the crowd thins out - or before it thickens - check-in and the security checks are a quick process. I doubt that there are a lot of other flights out early in the morning at ZLO so you should be fine if you give yourself an hour and a half.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
503 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Realistic time to be at airport in advance of flight....

Thanks everyone.

8. Re: Realistic time to be at airport in advance of flight....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2012, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Manzanillo