We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching tours

Which Manzanillo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
edmonton
Level Contributor
130 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Whale watching tours

Hi,

We are coming to Manzanillo Feb 8/2012 staying at the Tesoro.

My husband and I have never been whale watching, and we are curious if the day trip providers in Manzanillo offer such a tour ?

Any feedback would be welcome.

Cheers, Cherlea

London Ontario
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale watching tours

I would love to know as well. We are going to Las Hadas on Feb 20th and would love to go whale watching as well. We went in Los Cabos 2 years ago and AMAZING is the only way to describe it.

Manzanillo, Mexico
Level Contributor
237 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale watching tours

I checked all of the local tour companies and I didn't see any specific whale watching tour. You could try contacting some like Danitours or Tlaloc to see if they'd do a custom tour for you.

With that being said it's hard to tell when and if we'll get whales offshore in Manzanillo. Los Cabos and Cabo san Lucas are known for the whale watching because they come every year around the same time. For the whales to come this far south it really depends on the temperature of the water. It needs to be about 70-72 degrees F or lower for them to start showing up. Right now the water is still 78-80 degrees F so we haven't seen them yet. Typically around March/April they'll be here. Last year it got cold at the beginning of December so they were around for quite a while.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo, Saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale watching tours

The first year we stayed at the Tesoro, we could see whales in the morning from our balcony. Last spring, there were a few couples at the Karmina that took pictures of whales from their balcony, but it seems to be all just luck if you catch sight of them as they're passing through.

The local tour companies don't even really advertise dolphin-seeing tours, though there are a couple of pods that always seem to be in the area in the spring.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
837 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale watching tours

Hey ChellyBelle - I was one of the people who got to take pictures. The entire two weeks we were there was at least one in the Bay. Mostly in the morning's, and you had to be patient waiting. We did do a snorkeling tour and saw two in the other bay. The boat tried to get closer too but they stopped by the time we got close. One of the guys on the tour said that was the first time he every saw two of them at once. Another said that was the first time he ever saw one, never mind two.

The day of Superbowl, during half time, one started playing with some guy in a jet ski. When you watched for awhile, you could see the whale was playing with him. He would jump in the jet ski's wake, and when the guy stopped just to watch for awhile, the whale would do the tail slap until he moved again. It was great to watch. (That was the day I got the great shots)

My advise would be to grab a take out coffee and watch the water in the mornings. Then again grab a drink and watch the water about a hour before sundown. That's when ours was most active. If you can see the Barcelo from where you are and see a lot of people at the golf course staring into the water, they would be whale watching.

edmonton
Level Contributor
130 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale watching tours

Thank you for the feedback from everyone. I will take everyone's advice, and hopefully we will see whales.

6. Re: Whale watching tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2013, 10:21
Get answers to your questions about Manzanillo