We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Access to beach beside BKP

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Access to beach beside BKP

I just read in a review of the Karmina Palace that the gate to the beach next door is now kept locked, possibly due to stair repairs since the hurricane. This is not good news if it's the only easy way to access that beach. We love to take long walks down the beach and decided we could stay at BKP only because we could walk the beach next door.

Is there another easy way to access that beach from the Karmina aside from the gate where the steps are reportedly being repaired?

Thanks much!

~freezing

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo, Saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Access to beach beside BKP

In the two years we've visited the Karmina, the gate was actually always locked; we never once saw it unlocked; most people trying to walk the beach on Manzanillo Bay had to sneak through the bushes at the edge of a golf course, and make their way down a steep, rocky and muddy hill, and then back up, all the while avoiding security.

On the upside, this means that apparently you can probably still get to the beach, but on the downside, it's a bit of an adventure.

Lethbridge, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo
Level Contributor
590 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Access to beach beside BKP

Was just there last week and tried to access that property from the beach side.

The tide was coming in and the river was flowing so you would have had to wade through knee to thigh high water.

The gate was locked with a guard posted at it!

We didn't feel like wading through the water so didn't even try!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
840 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Access to beach beside BKP

That's too bad. I can kinda of understand it as protecting their guests is a priority. I have seen locals use the river for picnics on the weekends and it would be easy for anyone to get in through the gate. Plus those stairs were scary before the hurricane, I can only imagine them now. At the same time the beach was great for a nice long walk or a short jaunt to Wal-Mart for those forgotten items.

Near Saskatoon
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Access to beach beside BKP

Hey Longjohn, we were also there last week (Feb. 8-15) and we watched a couple of groups leisurely stroll past the security guard on the south side of the resort and down onto the beach headed towards the plaza and Wal-Mart. The guard never even moved (and yes, he was definitely awake) other than a quick nod to them.

On the north side, the only time the gates were opened was when groups of golfers needed to get to the 18th green due to bridge repairs. We never saw anyone venture out or in.

I think it all depends on who the security guard is and whether he sees bracelets or not.

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Access to beach beside BKP

Hmmm.. OK. This could be good news... I can be charming if I have to. Maybe that's the price of admission through the gate? I hope so.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
530 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Access to beach beside BKP

We walked that beach everyday last year for the 2 weeks we stayed @ the Karmina. The same 2 weeks as this year and we are planning to try and walk that beach Wed Feb 22 in the morning so I will post if we can't get through that gate or down the stairs or if we are successful. So the rest of you coming will have the heads up.

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Access to beach beside BKP

That would be great! Thanks HolaMx!

Lethbridge, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo
Level Contributor
590 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Access to beach beside BKP

Exactly!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
840 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Access to beach beside BKP

<3 Holamexico (suppose to be a heart...) Thanks

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
530 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Access to beach beside BKP

Hi All,

So we just landed this afternoon and we walked over to the gate that leads to the beach towards the Walmart. At first glance the gate looks like it is locked as there is a pad lock hanging from it.....this is the same as it was last year but it is not locked and the security guard that was there told us we can go through the gate every day it is never locked and go have a nice walk on the beach. The stairs are fine, they are the same as they were last year no worse no better. There is work being done there, but to the fence. They are replacing the whole length of chain link fence the bushes have been trimmed back so that the workers can do the work. You just have to wiggle the latch in order to open it as it sticks....just the same as when we were here last year. The hurricane Jova damaged the bushes and fence and that is why it needs to be replaced. the river at the bottom of the stairs is a bit wider but didn't look too much deeper...perhaps all the rain Manzanillo had is part of that.

We will be walking that beach tomorrow.

It's Beautiful here! It feels like we just came home!

Holamexico08 from paradise