We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Difference between CSS and CSA?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
33 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Difference between CSS and CSA?

Colima Surf Side (CSS) and Colima Surfing Academy, are these 2 different companies?

i have the website for CSS (which has surfing lessons), but i've also read a few mentions of CSA, and i'm confused now wondering if they are the same place, or 2 different places.

CSS looks to be on Playa Miramar about 3-4 miles away from Tesoro where we are staying.

Thanks for any help! We'd love to take our 2 teenagers for surfing lessons!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo, Saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Difference between CSS and CSA?

I don't have any info for you, but I didn't want to feel ignored; one of our other DE's, FaolanMX is probably the guy to talk to about watersports in the area; maybe send him a private message, or wait a bit and give him a chance to post an answer! :)

Edited: 13 July 2012, 15:14
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
33 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Difference between CSS and CSA?

Thanks Chelly!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Difference between CSS and CSA?

Based on this link (in Spanish) there appear to be three different companies offering surfing lessons and rentals in Manzanillo and it shows CSS and CSA as two separate companies.

http://www.yumping.com.mx/surf/colima

The folks at yumping.com seem to keep their information pretty up-to-date too. They still list my tour company Sea to Sierra in Barra and I closed in Barra over a year ago and moved to Guanajuato, so they have updated that listing to non-operational and I even didn't advise them of the change, they updated it themselves.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
33 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Difference between CSS and CSA?

Thank you Nan! Much appreciated.

Manzanillo, Mexico
Level Contributor
237 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Difference between CSS and CSA?

Whoops, I need to check here more often. They are two seperate companies. The three companies that I know of that do surfing are Colima Surfside, Colima Surf Academy and Secret Spot Surf and Skate shop. I took one lesson with CSS when I moved here 3 years ago and it was pretty good. It lasted 3 hours and I road some white wash (beginner rides). It was more of a surfing experience though. Basic lessons to show you the different aspects of surfing then taking you out to make sure you enjoy yourself. I've heard CSA does pretty much the same thing. Either one would be good for an experience.

Secret spot is more of a surf training group. It's been recommended by most of the older surfers that I know around town. They train thoroughly and make sure you have the basics down before you move on. I'd recommend them if surfing is going to become something that they'll want to do more often.

I plan on trying CSA and SS at some point but I haven't gotten to yet. I think CSS and CSA also rent boogie boards if you want something simple and easy. There's also skimboarding which is very popular around Manzanillo and it's my preferred sport.

CSS: http://colimasurfside.com/

CSA: http://pakosurfzone.com.mx/index.html/

Secret Spot: piterosurf@hotmail.com

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
33 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Difference between CSS and CSA?

Thank you Faolan! Awesome info, sounds like CSS would be the perfect fit for our needs.

7. Re: Difference between CSS and CSA?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2013, 20:17
Get answers to your questions about Manzanillo