We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fresh fish

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
59 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Fresh fish

There is a nice fresh fish vendor in the public mall in the Santiago area that has a huge assortment of fish. I am never sure which fish to buy, as the names are all different than our Canadian names (bass, salmon trout etc..) Can anyone tell me which fish they prefer for grilling (other than dorado !!) Thanks.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo, Saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fresh fish

I really recommend marlin for grilling - the steaks are lovely and meaty, and can take as much or as little spice as you want to use. Salt and lime - excellent. Complicated spice rub - excellent!

Not sure if you'd be able to find some, but there's a kind of fish our local friends call blackfin, which they say is a garbage fish, because the flesh is really really dark, rather than white or pink. We really liked it, though. I think it's a kind of tuna, but am not sure.

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
59 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fresh fish

Mmmm.... marlin - I'm likin' it!!!

Thanx

Lethbridge, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo
Level Contributor
583 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fresh fish

If you want really fresh fish, watch for the fishing boat on manzanillo bay in the morning. When they bring their net in you can buy fish from them. A lot of the chefs come down from the condos to buy some for their guests. You could ask them which ones to buy.

You can also get your morning exercise and help them pull their net in!

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
8,504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Fresh fish

Blackfin is a kind of Bonito and Yes it's a member of the Tuna family.

Best if it's bled and chilled SAP but still OK grilled if cleaned right.

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
59 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fresh fish

Thanks everybody!!

Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fresh fish

Hi, we're staying at the Puerto Los Hadas condominios.....I believe that's on Manzanillo Bay ....where about's do the fisherman come in with their boat. We have a bbq at our private condo and would love to find some fresh fish. Thanks! Mercedes

Lethbridge, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo
Level Contributor
583 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fresh fish

Sorry, just looked at my post and my bad! It's not manzanillo bay it's santiago bay that a small group of fishermen pull their net in.

You can buy fresh fish at the market in santiago at numerous fish markets.

Sorry about the mistake!

8. Re: Fresh fish

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2013, 10:15