We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Club Santiago?

Which Manzanillo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
omaha, nebraska
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Club Santiago?

We'll be staying in a rental home in Club Santiago. Any info on the location would be great. Things to do, restaurants, grocery stores proximity.

Thanks!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo, Saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Club Santiago?

Club Santiago is a nice residential neighborhood on the north end of Santiago Bay. The stretch of beach nearby is known as Playa la Boquita, and is quite nice; very lively, and lined with restaurants that always smell pretty amazing!

The water there is quiet, great for snorkeling and splashing about in the water - there's very little wave activity.

There's a beach club there for owners and (I'm sure) renters in the Club Santiago area, so between that and the beachside places, there's no lack of restaurants.

One thing there ISN'T is a real grocery store. There are a couple of small corner stores where you could pick up milk and, like, a lime if you forgot to buy one, but to get groceries, you'll probably want to take a taxi out to Santiago or Salagua, where there's lots of shopping and stores.

If your Spanish is good, you could go to one of the local markets and buy super fresh produce, meat, and fish. If it isn't, go to Soriana or WalMart; they both have full grocery stores, and also beer, wine, and spirits.

You could also try to do some of your grocery shopping on Saturday; go to the Saturday market, which is like a huge one-day flea market, where you can buy produce fresh off the farm, silver, souvenirs, makeup, and blender parts.

omaha, nebraska
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Club Santiago?

Wow! Thanks for the info about Club Santiago. Very helpful!

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
59 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Club Santiago?

Residents of Club Santiag have access to a very nice private beach club on Miramar beach, and I believe they have a grill there for food and bevvies. Right next door to that is another very nice restaurant called Oasis. Great place to spend the day - you can use their lounger if buying drinks or food. They also do a Mexican Fieast night on enight each month. Don't miss out on that - its well worth it. There is a small convenience store in front of the Oasis where you can buy wine, beer, pop etc. The town of Santiago has a couple of fresh fish stores. We buy Mahi Mahi and shrimp for cooking in our condo. Large public market there with everything from soup to nuts, but if you prefer supermarkets, bus into Salagua where there are two supermarkets plus a WalMart and cab it back home. Cabs are inexpensive and buses even cheaper!!! Enjoy yourselves!

omaha, nebraska
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Club Santiago?

Oh gosh! That's so helpful! Thanks! I think our new plan is to fly into Manzanillo instead of taking a bus from Guadalajara. This will save lots of time and potential frustration. Thanks for the info regarding restaurants and convenience stores. So glad there's even. Walmart!

San Miguel de...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Club Santiago?

Hi cerveza4me.... I too will be visiting Club Santiago in mid-November. I could not quite make out what night the monthly fiesta is at the Oasis Club... could you please clarify?

Gracias!

carol

Edited: 20 October 2013, 07:43
omaha, nebraska
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Club Santiago?

We will be staying in Club Santiago at the end of June. How bad will the mosquito situation be at that time? The home we're staying in is not air conditioned. Any tips or tricks?

Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
59 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Club Santiago?

Sorry - not sure about Mexican Fiesta nights. Perhaps one of the Destination experts may know?

St. Albert, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Club Santiago?

I would fly to manzanillo instead of Guadalajara.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
229 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Club Santiago?

FYI, there is a lagoon/marsh area behind the Club Santiago, so bring your bug spray because the mosquitos and "no see ums" (what the locals call them) which are a smaller type of stinging insect that will get you as well.

No A/C in June, sorry, but good luck :-)

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo, Saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Club Santiago?

I second that; during the wet season, it's always best to bring bug spray. We bring it down every winter vacation, and so far, we've only needed it while on jungle tours, but it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Get answers to your questions about Manzanillo