We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timers at Barcelo Karmina!!!

Level Contributor
17 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
First Timers at Barcelo Karmina!!!

Hello All:)

My group of 7 is heading down to the Barceló Karmina from Feb 7th-21st and we have a few questions. We have all been to various areas in Mexico numerous times but Manzanillo will be a first for all of us. Judging by the pictures and reviews I have been reading I am not sure why it took us so long to find this place...lol. Here are my questions:

1. Is the tap water okay for brushing teeth and what not?

2. Will the electrical outlets be the same as in Canada?

3. We booked an Oceanview Junior Suite and am wondering what to expect from the room? Like is there a coffee maker, lotions and shampoos, face cloths, etc?

4. What is the beach towel scenario? Do we get towel cards or do we just get one at a hut and return it when done?

5. What time does the breakfast and supper buffet open? We are travelling with a diabetic and it is very helpful to be able to stay on a schedule that is similar to home habits.

6. Is there a Walmart/Mega store close to the hotel?

7. How is the evening weather? I have been to some parts of Mexico where you could stay in your swimsuit till 10pm and other parts I needed pants and a hoodie by 5pm...lol.

8. I understand that the hotel is about 45 mins away from the Airport. We will be travelling via Transat and we are wondering if that 45 minute estimate includes numerous stops at other resorts or does it pretty much go from the airport to Barceló? Also, are there any airport rules we should be aware of or is it just the usual...get outside the airport as soon as you have your luggage?

Thanks so much for any help I can get. It doesn't take long to find these things out once you are there but it is easier if we know some things in advance.

Happy Travelling to all and I will definitely post a review after I return!!!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo, Saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timers at Barcelo Karmina!!!

Karmina is absolutely lovely - we did two, two-week vacations there back to back when we first started visiting Manzanillo.

Don't use the tap water for brushing teeth - your room will have bottles of water in the fridge. I actually suspect that the tap water is treated, but it isn't worth the risk. I did it a couple of times, because, well, muscle memory makes me reach for the tap to rinse my toothbrush, and I didn't get sick, but everyone is different.

Outlets in the hotel are the same as in Canada.

Oceanview junior suites have a little kitchenette, so there's a coffee maker which they stock daily. If you want extra supplies, let them know.

There's a soap/shampoo dispenser in the shower area, and, I think, soaps by the sink, but there weren't any lotions that I can recall. Lots of facecloths and towels, and if you need more, just call down.

When you get there, they'll give you your towel card. You'll take that to the towel exchange by the pool, and they'll give you a towel. For the rest of your stay there, you just keep bringing them your used beach towel at the end of the day, and they'll give you a new one. When your stay is over, you bring them your beach towel and they'll give you a card back, which you'll present at check-out. Heaven forfend that you lose your towel or towel card. It's only a $20.00 charge, but there's a sense that you've lost a priceless cultural artifact. :)

Breakfast was open around 6:30 last time I was there, but they're still putting out food. Supper was 5:30 or 6:00. If you need any little snacky foods or anything like that, take a taxi out to Soriana or Walmart - there's one within about a kilometre and a half, but the walk down the driveway from the Karmina is hot hot hot, as it's a long stretch of unshaded road. If you're adventurous, you can also use the gates to get out onto the beach and walk the beach to walmart - if you're facing the beach cove, walmart is on your left, across the little part of the golf course. Hop out onto the beach, walk past the first large hotel and then up onto street level just after it.

Evening weather is typically pretty warm - I always bring a sweater, but end up carrying it around because it's too warm to wear. The breeze when you first step outside makes you think you need a sweater, but after five minutes, you realize how wrong you were. :)

Generally, the Karmina is the first stop on the bus ride to the hotel zone, because it's closest to the main road. Once you're in the airport, look for the people with the clipboards; depending on who you're touring with, you'll be looking for someone in a dark green shirt marked Tlaloc Tours or Transat, or a bright yellow shirt marked Hectours or Westjet. They'll ask what hotel you're staying at, and make sure you get on the right bus.

Enjoy your stay, and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Manzanillo
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo
Level Contributor
563 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timers at Barcelo Karmina!!!

The water in Manzanillo is treated and absolutely fine to "brush your teeth with". Bottled water is supplied at all resorts and is inexpensive and consumed by everyone including locals for drinking.

That being said, tap water is used in cooking by many with no problems at all.

We aren't really a third world country . . .

come on down, "the water's fine".

Have fun here!

Manzanillo
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo
Level Contributor
563 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timers at Barcelo Karmina!!!

Not all electrical outlets are grounded here. Three prong outlets may or may not be grounded, and there are many 2 prong outlets around here, so a 2 to 3 prong adaptor will come in handy. They are available here, but usually you will need it before you find one, so it's a good idea to bring one along with you.

Have fun here!

Level Contributor
17 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Timers at Barcelo Karmina!!!

Thanks so much for the replies ChellyBelle and BuffaloDon. The information I get on Trip Advisor goes a very long way and its much appreciated. I was asking about outlets because my e-reader and camera need an outlet to charge. I am the only one in our group that has any need for outlets...lol. But an adaptor would be better just to play it safe. And in other parts of Mexico I have brushed my teeth with the water but used bottled for drinking and I have not experienced any stomach problems thus far.

Anyone have any pointers for fun stuff to do off the resort?

The countdown is on now...11 more sleeps:)

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Timers at Barcelo Karmina!!!

Yeah, that's a really good point - in the hotel, you'll find grounded outlets just like in Canada, but if you're out and about, you'll need an adapter - they're mostly two-prongs!

As for fun stuff, it all depends on what you like to do. We spend a lot of time boogieboarding at Playa Miramar - I totally recommend that. There are lots of good sightseeing and adventure tours, and a couple of different beaches that have really different water action; Miramar is great for boogieboarding and bodysurfing, Boquita has calm water and is great for kids and snorkelers.

Palmerston, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Timers at Barcelo Karmina!!!

Hi:we were just there earlier this month and loved it!

1. Water is okay for brushing your teeth. Your orientation meeting lets you know this.

2. Outlets are okay in the rooms, regular 3 prong

3. Rooms are complete with coffee maker and lots of small extras,

4. You get a card and exchange it for a towel and you can get new ones all week. When you leave return your

towel for the card again or they make you run down to do this.

5. Breakfast main buffet 7

Smaller buffet 8

Supper at 6:30

6. Mexican Walmart as they say is out the gate to the right, 50 peso cab ride or 20 min walk

7. All the time we were there it was warm and calm. Sooooo nice!

8. Our ride in was closer to 25 - 30 min and we went straight to the hotel. No hustlers here, so relaxed.

They have about a 1 % unemployment rate and everyone hardly even looks at you.

So that being said you will have a great time. Enjoy! :)

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Timers at Barcelo Karmina!!!

Yay! The last time I did orientation was 2010, and they told us to use bottled water, but it's so much better to have actual recent information! Thanks so much for posting this!

Palmerston, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Timers at Barcelo Karmina!!!

No problem.

Do you have any contacts that will help in finding a place for 1 - 3 month stay? We are thinking of a longer stay next time but not at a resort. Any help would be great.

thanks,

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Timers at Barcelo Karmina!!!

Absolutely - I'll PM you shortly!

Seattle WA
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Timers at Barcelo Karmina!!!

For your electronics, take along a power strip. Then you'll have all your electronics in one spot. You probably don't have time to order before your trip but this one is compact and great: amazon.com/gp/…

or this with USB:

www.amazon.com/s…

Other posts are accurate for the property and you'll have a great time.

Get answers to your questions about Manzanillo
Recent Conversations