We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip must do's.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First trip must do's.

Just booked our first trip to Manzanillo for January. We have travelled to Puerto Vallarta the last 12 winters but needed a change. As we are "lazy" travellers, used to knowing our way around and what to see and do we need help. We are there for 2 weeks and would like to know what we absolutely should see and do. We have 3 couples only joining us for a week so we would do most of our activities the first week. Your help would be greatly appreciated. We are all very adventurous and are not afraid of taking local busses and going off the beaten path. Thank you everyone

Mentioned in this post
Manzanillo
Manzanillo
Colima, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Toronto
Level Contributor
482 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip must do's.

Where will you be staying? Your location can determine the ease of traveling north, south or inland.

jt

Manzanillo
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo
Level Contributor
566 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip must do's.

Let me begin by saying welcome to this forum and thanks for choosing Manzanillo as your destination for your next vacation!

You have asked a very tough question without knowing a little bit more about your interests or expectations. Why did you chose Manzanillo and what do you know about us? Have you searched on line yet?

A little more information about really like, or don't would sure help guide you to fun here in Manzanillo. I see Guayabitos took your breath away while visiting there. I can certainly the mutual attraction there.

Oh, one thing I will mention is that if you like to relax on the beach without the usual vendor non stop bombardment, then you will love Manzanillo.

Riding the local buses to the ends of their routes and back is the best and least expensive city tour you can get here, not to mention an absolute blast. It's better than any amusement ride and only 7 pesos per person.

Saludos!

bd

Mentioned in this post
Manzanillo
Manzanillo
Colima, Mexico
Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip must do's.

El Centro is nothing like PV far less touristy.

Beaches are superior to PV's In IMO & far, far fewer beach peddlers.

After Zihuatanejo my favorite Pacific coast destination is Manzanillo.

Edited: 22 June 2014, 04:35
Mentioned in this post
El Centro
El Centro
318 Reviews
Manzanillo, Mexico
Zihuatanejo
Zihuatanejo
Guerrero, Mexico
Manzanillo
Manzanillo
Colima, Mexico
Hamilton, Ontario
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip must do's.

Spend at least one day relaxing on the beach at Playa Miramar in the Santiago area. The beach is fantastic for strolling back and forth, and the swimming is great. Very gradual slope so you can wade for a good while. There is a very nice restaurant there called Oasis. They offer loungers and umbrellas (and clean washrooms) if you are having drinks / lunch there. Also try to arrange a trip to Barra de Navidad, about half an hour north. It is a very funky town to stroll around in with many shops and restaurants. Easy to get to with a car, or from the bus station in Santiago. Also, eat a dinner at La Pergola in the Salagua area of Manzanillo. Excellent food and decent prices!!! I hope you enjoy Manzanillo!

Mentioned in this post
Playa Miramar
Playa Miramar
263 Reviews
Manzanillo, Mexico
Barra de Navidad
Barra de Navidad
Costalegre, Mexico
Manzanillo
Manzanillo
Colima, Mexico
Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip must do's.

We are staying at the Barcelo. We do anything, surf, ziplining, atv, swimming, fishing, touring towns, touring jungles. We are all adventurous and enjoy doing anything really. We have searched the web and want the opinion of people who have "been there done that". We also like to go out every evening to local bars, not tourist type bars so any help with that would be great.

Lethbridge, Canada
Destination Expert
for Manzanillo
Level Contributor
622 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip must do's.

Colima, Comala for the day. Various things to see, have lunch in Comala, ruins in Colima (if open), check out Colima for an hour or two, drive the highway magica, stop at some plantations, etc.

Turtle sanctuary, Cuyatlan.

Visit downtown Manzanillo and check out the iguana sanctuary, club social, downtown market, shopping.

"La Kamila", mexican happy hour across from the golf course at las hadas or tesoro on miquel de la madrid.

Walk Santiago bay to La Bouquita and eat at the seafood ramadas.

Saturday tiangus market in Santiago.

Snorkel and sight seeing (booze cruise or not) out of La Audencia on Pacifico tours. Nice afternoon bay tour.

Deep sea fishing. (usually in the am for 4 to 5 hours)

Edited: 25 June 2014, 15:16
Mentioned in this post
Manzanillo
Manzanillo
Colima, Mexico
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,900 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip must do's.

Hi fellow Saskatonian!

I would suggest a trip up to visit La Manzanilla and Barra de Navidad. Rent a taxi driver for the day, perhaps. Both are lovely little towns and you might want to check them out in case you want to visit for a longer span one day. :) We spent a week in Barra and really loved it...we also spent a week in Guayabitos and we enjoyed Barra far more!

ETA: If that is too long of a day for you (I believe they would be about an hour drive away?) then I recommend going to the Aquarium to snorkel at the end of Playa Boquita for a few hours. Reef is at the far north end of the bay/beach there.

Edited: 25 June 2014, 16:24
Mentioned in this post
Barra de Navidad
Barra de Navidad
Costalegre, Mexico
Fort McMurray...
Level Contributor
541 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip must do's.

There are many options to pick from for activities here. The one thing you should check out is the turtle sanctuary. Why? A really fun low key tour and hanging out with the turtles and other animals there will produce a smile on your face that will not disappear for at least three days!

canada
Level Contributor
127 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip must do's.

If you go to a Comala I suggest you book a tour through http://www.admiremexicotours.com/index.php

We have had the pleasure of taking 3 of his tours and they are terrific! He is well educated on the area. On one trip we visited The ruins of El Chanal. A terrific company offering unique tours! You won't be disappointed.

Comala, Colima
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First trip must do's.

Hello!

There is a new craft beer factory in Colima, natural Springs in Zacualpan, Lava sightseen at night from the Colima Volcano, you can see the Colombian and Brazilian coffee process in Comala. You can also see the state band perform on the main square thursdays and sundays. zipline neer the volcano, another interesting options are the temporary exhibits at the museum of popular arts. Hope this helps you plan better your trip. Saludos!

Get answers to your questions about Manzanillo