We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atm fees - Citibank

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
117 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Atm fees – Citibank

Only a couple weeks till our trip and I’m trying to figure out how to minimize our potential atm fees. We have a little used account with Citibank, and while cruising through their site I have discovered their list of international atms.

citi.com/locations/…noroeste.htm

I’ve also searched through both MasterCard and Visa’s international atm search sites and I’m able to select and display only Citibank atms. Well the lists from both MC and Visa seem to be longer then the one straight from Citibank, and of course none of them have locator maps. I’m trying to find out if any Citibanks or Citibank atms actually exist, where they might be, and if they’re well marked.

I’ve also seen on a few internet posts that since Banamex is a subsidiary of Citi, that their atms should be fee free as well. I’d love either firsthand knowledge or experience about the fee situation of both Citibank and Banamex.

We’ll be staying Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay, so I’m trying to figure out the best way to make an atm visit to start our trip. I’ll bring cash for the taxi ride to EB but I’ve either got to stop and get pesos on the way to the resort, or we’ll have to be able to find an atm after taking the shuttle to the PB Maz.

As always I appreciate any help you guys can provide. We’re thoroughly excited at this point and are counting the days.

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atm fees – Citibank

There is a Banamex in the Golden Zone on Camaron Sabalo. It is a ways from PB Emerald Bay, so I suggest you get as much cash as you think you'll need. Also tell the cab driver you want to stop at Banamex on the way. Since it is a little out of the way I recommend a couple bucks tip. This would be easier and cheaper then the PB shuttle, then the bus to the bank and back. PB Emerald Bay has safe deposit.

Mazatlán, Sin...
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Atm fees – Citibank

You better check with your local Citibank about fees. The only debit card that I KNOW FOR CERTAIN doesn't have ANY fees is the B of A card when used at a Banco Santander ATM. I've heard of others, but never have I specifically heard anyone say (or post), "I used my XXX card at a XXX bank ATM in Mexico and there were NO fees of any kind." I've ONLY heard that statement from friends and others with a B of A card, who used it at a Banco Santander ATM.

One exception, nearly all credit unions have a debit card that has no fees, regardless of where you use it.

Another note: except for the B of A -- Santander case, most ATMs in Mexico do charge a very small 7.5 peso ($0.68 USD) charge whenever a "non-bank" or foreign card is used in them, even if it's a "no-fee" credit union card.

Walnut Creek, CA
Level Contributor
347 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atm fees – Citibank

Be sure your PIN is only 4 digits as this is all the ATMs in Mexico accept! Our first trip to Cabo a few years ago was tough to get money because of our 6 digit PIN. I changed it to 4 digits before going to PV this summer and no problems ever. Just FYI!

I don't know about fees. We just paid them. oh well.

Mazatlán, Sin...
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Atm fees – Citibank

mebber is correct--a few years ago! Now, MOST of those older ATMs have been replaced by ones that will accept either 4 digit or 6 digit PINs.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Atm fees – Citibank

My experience has been No Fee at Banamex using my Citibank ATM Card.

Mazatlán, Sin...
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Atm fees – Citibank

peddler, Thank you! You're the first I've seen to come right out and say that, but I still have a question. So that it's clear in my mind, and I can post the correct info for others, do you mean the Banamex ATM fee of $7.50 MXN or the Citibank fee that you only see on your statement, or both? This question comes up so frequently that it would be good to know the REAL scoop!

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Atm fees – Citibank

I have NEVER been charged any fee by either. Now if I use my Washington Mutual ATM card no charges except Mastercard (logo on the card) takes 1% so $10 on a thousand dollar withdrawal.

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,031 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Atm fees – Citibank

There is / or was an atm machine at south end of the Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan complex, it is outside the resort but right next to the south gate

If you take the P.B. E.B. shuttle to P.B Maz it will be easy to get cash there, we use it often when we are in Maz.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
117 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Atm fees – Citibank

Thanks everyone for the information. I'll be sure to let you guys know if any fees get charged.

Does there happen to be a Banamex/Citi anywhere next to a grocery store where I could do both at the same time on the way out to EB.

Birdman, what bank is the atm for?

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Atm fees – Citibank

There are a couple small grocery stores near Banamex bank in the Golden Zone.