We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question for mikemo??

toronto
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Question for mikemo??

Going to SMA this winter (3rd time) but are considering Maz in '09..what can you tell me re. comparisons? Ease of getting around, restaurants, cost of "stuff" in general (food, restaurants), climate etc. Would love to "pick your brains" on this...thx.

Mazatlán, Sin...
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Question for mikemo??

Not mikemo, who knows more about SMA than I will EVER know, but I do know three things for certain (I have good friends that live in SMA and others that SUMMER in SMA). SMA is more expensive than Mazatlán. SMA is definitely colder than Mazatlán in the winter. And last, but far from least, SMA DOESN'T HAVE A BEACH!!!!

I THINK I know other things about SMA, but those three are the most important, and they are ones I know for certain.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question for mikemo??

And, unlike MZT and most of the west coast beaches, SMdA is inhabitable May - Oct.

SMdA has become very expensive - the residential real estate has finally plateaued a bit after nearly exponential gains from late '02.

Costalegre (bet Manzanillo and PV) is pretty stunning and still has some great winter bargain rates. I like LaManzanilla.

We have two cars, so getting around is a nonissue, but we use public transport in town (or walk mostly) and to BJX and MEX (drive to QRO when we can find a rare decent airfare out as parking is only $25. pesos a day).

We are going to MZT late next week only 'cuz we got 5 free nights at PB-EM as a travel perk and added two more at US$108./n IN rate.

Before the freeby, had planned a super deluxe at catalina-beach-resort.com in Zihua and will probably do that next Christmas.

Gotta get my fishing and fresh fish fixes at least once a year.

M

Mazatlan
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Question for mikemo??

Hey Mikemo if you're a real fishing enthusiast, have you ever tried El Salto?

My fishing buddies (they are SO addicted) go up there at least every other week. One guy caught 23 bass last week in a single morning.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question for mikemo??

MH,

Thanks, but I have no interest in fishing for fresh water bass, and, unfortunately, wild trout are way smarter than I.

M

5. Re: Question for mikemo??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 07:18