We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tortilla Soup and Mahi-Mahi

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
British Columbia
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tortilla Soup and Mahi-Mahi

Well....we are slowly getting organized for our trip. The fresh seafood purchase advice and the van rental advice was all good and will be acted on.

On the van rental thing: Hertz will rent a mini-van for about $600. per week. The liability insurance is $11. per day. If you check your particular visa card contract there (may be) auto rental insurance benefits. NOT FOR LIABILITY COVERAGE. In my case there was. Visa sent me a letter explaining that I must check off the box declining the additional insurance on the vehicle and they would cover it. This is for the collision damage insurance portion only.

Now for my request.....We are staying at the Royal Villas and like to walk out for lunch. For lunch I very much like Tortilla Soup and some plain Quesidellas (sp?) I don't care what the other people in my group want!! thats what I want. Also, for dinner I very much like Mahi-Mahi (Dorado). Recommendations very gratefully received.

NOTES: To Mazbook....I did print out your very large restaurant guide, thank you. I see on another post your shop is across from Costa de Oro. I will drop in and say hello after Feb. 18. If memory serves me (at all)back in 2003 there was a side street off the Golden Zone main drag somewhere close to you that about 1 block up there was a very nice small restaurant on the right hand (south) side of the street. They had very good tortilla soup.

To FalconRoger: Are you or did you used to be a realtor? I remember seeing a blue Falcon convertible with a realtor sign on the side of it back in 2003. Nice car. Was that you? If we see around we will say hello.

Den

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tortilla Soup and Mahi-Mahi

We were there a little over a week ago...I really enjoyed the Tortilla soup at "The Place"...the broth was so yummy..."Purple Onion" had a good Tortilla soup too...it was a little thicker. The best MahiMahi we had was at La Costa Marinera.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,571 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tortilla Soup and Mahi-Mahi

Hi Den, yep, that was me. I am still driving the same car, though by tomorrow I will (I hope) be changing for a while into my freshly rebuilt 1960 Ford Country Sedan wagon. Fire engine red, with Mazatlan Homes on the back windows. Just built the motor up, added power windows and steering, and looking forward to some crusing in a BIG car. The blue convertable goes in to have all the chrome stripped off and sent to Guadalajara. Have to do it every 2 years. Yell if you see me!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
304 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tortilla Soup and Mahi-Mahi

Hi Brokn,

I don't care much for tortilla soup...but my wife is crazy about it. Last year we (she) tried it at every resturaunt we happened to find ourselves. Her recommendation: best tortilla soup at Panama Bakery in El Centro (by the cathedral and market)

Let us know if you agree.......

Mazatlán, Sin...
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tortilla Soup and Mahi-Mahi

There are as many recipes for tortilla soup as there are cooks (both home cooks and restaurant cooks) in México. Which one is the best is probably the MOST subjective question that could be asked about common Mexican food. I can't give you an answer, as I and my family would NEVER even consider ordering it in a restaurant, ours at home is the BEST…IMHO!

About mahi-mahi: this is the Hawaiian name that has become the name for this fish in the U.S. In México, the only places that will show mahi-mahi on the menu are the VERY touristy ones. All the others will show it under the MEXICAN name – dorado.

api
Minnesota
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tortilla Soup and Mahi-Mahi

I would second the Tortilla soup from The Place (El Paraje). It is awesome!

British Columbia
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tortilla Soup and Mahi-Mahi

Thanks everyone for your recommendations. We will be in Mazatlan Feb. 18-Mar.3. I will report back with all my experiences (well maybe not ALL) after Mar. 4. Looking forward to NO WORK, warm to hot weather, fishing, golfing, lazin' around. etc.

Den

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,469 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tortilla Soup and Mahi-Mahi

Brokyn:

The restaurant you are referring to on the side street, I believe is Mr. Ace (formerly Mr. A's). Just had tortilla soup there yesterday and it was excellent. They also have an excellent Sunday brunch that is not only good, but the least expensive in the Golden Zone.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
747 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tortilla Soup and Mahi-Mahi

broken heading same time as you, the days are getting closer

9. Re: Tortilla Soup and Mahi-Mahi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 12:17