We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buy booze at the airport??

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MN
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
buy booze at the airport??

Are there duty free shop in Mazalan airport? If so, is it cheaper to buy it there than when we get to the resort and go to say..walmart?? Can you bring anything like tequlla home with you to the US?

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: buy booze at the airport??

You can buy duty free booze on your way home but not when you are going into Maz. try Walmart or one of the other big stores.

According to the regs. You can take 2 litters per person home with you.

We generally bring 3 & have never been questioned so it is your call on that one.

Hope this helps Have fun

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
747 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: buy booze at the airport??

I have found it's cheaper in the big stores then in the ones around the golden zone

MN
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: buy booze at the airport??

thanks

Brackendale, Bc
Level Contributor
9 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: buy booze at the airport??

For taking home, the liquor is much cheaper at the airport. I price-checked all over 2 years ago when we were down and ending up buying tequila at a store in Mazatlan (best price I saw). Then I got to the airport and it was lots cheaper there (at the duty-free). Same with vanilla. This past trip I skipped shopping for those two things until our way home, at the airport. Saved the hassle and saved money!

MN
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: buy booze at the airport??

thanks! Great idea on the vanilla - I hadnt thought of that.

Mazatlán, Sin...
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: buy booze at the airport??

LonyM (and familytravelers),

In the past I have checked the duty free store at the Mazatlán airport often. I have NEVER found any Mexican produced product to be less than it sells for at the regular stores (as different from the purely tourist stores) in Mazatlán, and usually a LOT more expensive!

That certainly includes liquor and vanilla.

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: buy booze at the airport??

We are in mazatlan a couple times a year & I gree with mazbook.

The big stores Mega, Walmart, & Gigante all have better prices than the duty free shop at the airport.

That said, we buy at the duty free so we do not have the hassle of carting 4-6 bottles of booze & 3-4 bottles of vanilla from the resort to the check in counter at the airport.

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, Mission
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: buy booze at the airport??

I agree Mazbook and Birdman, especially on pricing.

One thing though:

we figured we could buy in town and cart out to airport; nope, its a hassle for us Canadians flying back on a connection through the USA - as we found out on our last trip.

If you fly direct, Mazatlan to Canada, you will have no difficulty buying at the Duty Free for carry on and return through Canadian Customs.

However, if you're connecting through the USA, they required us to repack our duty free bottle from Mexico into our checked baggage before we could then clear security again in Phoenix. Maybe this is a special case for that connection, who knows for sure.

It would have been cheaper for us to have bought our wine in Maz, and packed and padded it well before having it all checked for the trip home.

As it was, my wife was uncertain about the size of wine bottles in carry-on, so she left one bottle as a gift for our maid (on top our tip). She then packed one bottle in a carry-on.

Turns out, after I asked the flight clerk, we had to check that bag, and my wife just bought another bottle at the duty free ... which got repacked into checked luggage in Phoenix on the return trip. Doh!

Brackendale, Bc
Level Contributor
9 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: buy booze at the airport??

Hi,

I didn't check wine prices and I was checking only on the expensive type tequilas (I bought Tequila Cazdores Reposado, 1 litre size). It was about $10 cheaper at the airport, (in the duty-free shop as you leave) than anywhere else I saw it.

I looked for the pure vanilla at the Mega store this time and only saw bottles of the artificial vanilla - maybe they had the pure vanilla somewhere else? The vanilla at the airport duty-free cost me $3 for 250 mls. It was $7 at a shop in the golden zone near the Playa.

As for any other liquor, I don't know, I didn't compare. Though I did buy Kahlua 980ml in a cool bottle for about $10 at the duty-free. I have no idea what it costs in town.

Mazatlán, Sin...
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: buy booze at the airport??

LonyM, You are correct about not getting the real vanilla at Gigante, Walmart, etc., and that the tourist shops in the Golden Zone sometimes price it outrageously, BUT, the Farmacias Moderna in the Golden Zone stock all size bottles (from the little ones up to liters) of the Orlando brand vanilla; IMHO the very best brand available, and they are priced correctly, not some special "tourist" price. I haven't checked lately, but I would be VERY surprised to find that the duty-free shop is less expensive.

The reason that duty-free shops are often less expensive is that many of the things they sell are imported items, so if they're duty-free, they're cheaper. Tequila and vanilla are definitely not imported items in México.