We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel and Restaurants near Playa

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
2 posts
Save Topic
Hotel and Restaurants near Playa

First off: Thanks to all the great post-ers here for fantastic information! We are going to MAZ and staying at the Playa at the end of March. Never been to Mazatlan before.

We are looking forward to getting out of the snow and having some fun.

Any suggestions for having fun/getting around the hotel? (Activities, things to look out for, nightlife nearby, etc...)

Also, it seems that there are so many great places to have meals in Maz: Closer to the Playa, any recommendations?

Again, thanks for any and all input! This is a great resource.

BC Okanagan
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel and Restaurants near Playa

The Playa has a beautiful restaurant that is great to have any meal at and watch what people are doing on the beach or just watch the sunset.

They also have a restaurant at the pool, but it is seperate so take your pesos with you. Have the shrimp burger, its amazing.

Once you leave the Playa grounds, you have so many options is crazy. Walk on the beach next door to the south and you are at Joes Oyster Bar, a great place for drinks and eats and very laid back afternoons.

We walked down the beach to the north every day and just popped into any hotel that caught our eye and had a drink or lunch ect.

If you do your walking on the street, just turn left as you leave the gates and walk up a little, cross the street and you are at Gringo Lingo, they have an all you can eat menu for $14.99.

We just walked and walked all over, shopping and checking out restaurants. We walked to Panamas every morning for some fresh baking to take back to the room.

The Playa is a great choice for your first visit to Mazatlan, it is in the perfect spot to explore from.

And make sure you walk around and find all the hidden little areas that the Playa has on its own grounds too. There is one pool that is my favorite, its very warm and has seating all around like a huge hot tub, but its in a very quiet shady area. Perfect for a book and a drink!

Make sure you post a trip report for us when you get back!!

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,443 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel and Restaurants near Playa

Right next door to the Playa--to the south is a newly constructed zip line and climbing wall. It is for anyone fro age six to--whatever. The Playa has a great consiegre, and is very helpful. Try the Mexican Fiesta on Tues or Sat night.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,598 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel and Restaurants near Playa

Yooper,

As mama40 mentioned ..no matter what direction you walk ...There are endless and so many of them are in walking distance of a short ride !!! You will never run out of places to eat...or never go hungry...

Enjoy, and you have the time of your life in Mazatlan !! : )

Disney Chicks

Minnesota
Level Contributor
62 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel and Restaurants near Playa

Take a city tour early int he week to get your bearings. It's fun to go downtown and see the traditional market.

I want to second that recommendation of Panama. We try to have breakfast there at least once during our annual visit to Mazatlan. Across the street from Panama is a little counter place that offers blended beverages from fresh fruits - smoothies and variations. Very good - and the servings are huge - nearly a quart sized cup for $2.00 or so. I like the mango/honey/yogurt mix. The name of the place is something like Dengue. We also like Los Arcos for the variety of seafood - but it's a bit of a hike from Playa.

Don't be afraid to explore Mazatlan. If you get lost you can just hail a cab and they'll take you back to your hotel.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
343 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel and Restaurants near Playa

Right across from the Los Sabalos Hotel there's an italian restaurant. I don't recall the name of it right off hand, Vitorino's or something like that. If you like seafood and want to try something different I would recommend you get a seafood pizza. The're out of this and world and we always make sure we get one,two or maybe ten each trip. They make a great snack returning to the room after a fun night out. It's located about a half block south of the Playa on the opposite side of the street. Enjoy!

Beaverton, Oregon
Level Contributor
361 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel and Restaurants near Playa

Let me put in a second for Vittore's (turn right, cross the street, down one block from the Playa). I stayed at the Playa in Dec. Vittore's was our favorite. Panama's was our regular hang-out - loved it. As far as a city tour, we had a lousy experience with the one that cost $20. a piece. If I were to do it again, I'd just hire a taxi. There were 2 of us. I think you could see a whole lot of Mazatlan for $40. If you check a guide book and write down some places you'd like to see, I think any taxi driver could take you there and more. However, it'd be good to find one who speaks English. Be sure to try Pancho's for a meal - down about 2 blocks from the Playa - same side of the street. One day I rented a bike (Kelly's bike shop on the same street as Panama's - a block south and across the street), and rode downtown on the malecon. Right on the beach, flat, wide, concrete, good exercise - I enjoyed it. We liked the Playa - hope you do too.

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
673 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel and Restaurants near Playa

Ponchos for a Sunset Dinner! His food is exellent, a little more expensive than we usually spend but we always make one meal there because his peronality is go great and so is his food! From the playa driveway go left for a short walk.

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,700 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel and Restaurants near Playa

Check out Twisted Mama's Restaurant if you are looking for something different in this area. It is just over a year old and in an unlikely location. Twisted Mama is a Canadian woman running a hands-on kind of place. We like the fish and chips, club sandwich or ribs but there is lots more we haven't tried. She does Happy Hour all day long, complete with martini's if you are looking for a happy hour. Or a hockey game. IMHO, the food portions are way too large, but you can take left overs with you for the next day or split an order between two people. Across the side-street (Laguna Street) from Jungle Juice.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
343 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel and Restaurants near Playa

Thanks Mazzi, Iv'e been trying to remember the name of that restaurant-pub(Twisted Mama's) for a long time now. We always have a great time there and always stop by on our club hopping walking tour from the Hotel Playa. We go there,Jungle Juice, Tony's,Joe's Oyster Bar,Latitude 23,Mundo Bananas,Cow Town,Gringo Lingo and stopped by Mango's when it was still open. Does any one know if Mango's has reopened under the same or a different name? We haven't been down since june and won't be returning until august first. Already counting the day. Thanks!

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,700 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel and Restaurants near Playa

That's quite the action packed pub-walk, all within a small area too. Well done. Alas, Mundo Bananas is no longer with us. There is a newish restaurant named Makira, with a similar format, right on the beach and a little further north in the Golden Zone.