We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much money should i bring

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
washington
1 post
Save Topic
how much money should i bring

we are a family of three, 10 yr old daughter, likes to shop, we like to eat normal, not extreem and we like to drink, I was curoius on a 7 day trip what would you expect average food/tipping/site seeing ball park to be? I hate nickle and diming the credit card, all advise welcome, thanks

BC Okanagan
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how much money should i bring

Talk to your bank and see if they have a special deal for international interact use.

Use your debit card to get cash for spending and eating.

Eating, Drinking and Shopping in Maz is really cheap if you do it right. We gave the kids a $30 a day spending allowance and it was waaaay more than they needed.

Depending on what you like to drink and where you want to drink your allowance might be a little higher haha

$10 a meal per person is a good average, you can do cheaper and more expensive. Follow the happy hours for your drinks, or better yet, take an insulated travel mug or two and buy your booze at Walmart cheap to help the budget go further.

When are you planning to go?

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
673 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how much money should i bring

Given that you like to drink a little and your Daughter likes to shop, I'd say a good ball park figure would be $1500.00. We try really hard not to use plastic while in Mexico. Its best to have travlers checks left over than to not have enough money.

Teach/practice haggling with your daughter before you go down. Its a fun sport on the beach. The only place your going to better at getting cheaper is the market in Old town and if its like PV its getting harder to haggle there.

Have fun.

You can always go on a timeshare get a few free actvities, a bottle of tequila, (shots in teh room before you go out, also put it in the freezer it goes down much easier) and some cash. (ask for cash not rest. credit)They may let your daughter play in the pool while you go on your presentation. Be picky about which Timeshare you go on though. Some are better than others.

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
673 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how much money should i bring

Dont forget to tip the maids in your room,(daily as they change) we also like to take down little gifties for them, like some cool things that they wouldnt get in MX.

Central Ca.
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how much money should i bring

Please give me an example of some things you have brought. We always tip, but to add something else might be fun. We stay where they are always the some young girls and are so nice.

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
673 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how much money should i bring

Will post in another thread so others can find and add to it!

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, Mission
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how much money should i bring

When my wife and I were in Mazatlan in December for two weeks, I budgeted no more than USD500 for the two weeks of eating out, including groceries for breakfasts and lunches, based on what I saw someone else mention in a trip review for our hotel.

We might have gone over our budget by USD100.

So, if you add a child - who might eat in comparative cost to an adult - I'd say that a food budget should not exceed USD900.

If you like to drink, and you are going for a week, you will have to make your own calculations.

I personally think that a food and "drink" budget for two adults, and a child, shouldn't exceed USD1000.

I'm thinking you are responsible adults who are not going to get so pie-eyed that you wouldn't still be able to supervise your daughter.

As for shopping, a budget in this regard would have to be completely personal. I usually budget on the maximum I am allowed by Canadian customs in my yearly travel allowance. I am not familiar with American customs travel allowance.

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
133 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how much money should i bring

We just returned yesterday from 10 days in Mazatlan. 2 adults, mid-40s, like a beer or margarita or three but not drunkards, and like to eat shrimp at least once a day when there. We spent under $500 for the 10 days.

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
673 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how much money should i bring

ok, so I was oput of the ball park. I was basing your money on our last Mexico Visit which was PV. We watch our monry carefully, but then we also are on vacation so we seem to spend a little more. Maybe I should rethink and only bring $700.00 this time

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,641 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how much money should i bring

We average about $100 to $150 a day...I had to use plastic on last trip in January, I under budgeted a bit.. Had mid to medium priced meals and just a few drinks a day.. and hardly no shopping. This was for 2 adult and 1 child. Just hate being caught short and everyone works so hard for that dollar.. In my eye..you are on vacation, You have planned a great vacation.. you shouldn't have to count every penny.....splurging just a bit is OK.. in my book.. have fun, live a little and enjoy your trip to Mazatlan !!

Disney Chicks

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
673 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how much money should i bring

Thanks Disney. Im going to go back to $1200.00 for our trip then! What the heck its only Travlers checks and I can either save ehm for our Later in the year trip of cash them. We kinda refuse to use plastic on our trip as one year in Ixtapa the machine ate our card.