We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Giftables along with Maid Tips

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
684 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Giftables along with Maid Tips

Here is jsut a few ideas to get going. Keep in mind that anything too big needs to be ok'd usually by management, I once had to buy a pair of sneakers in Cabo just to go ATV riding. I bought something that I knew I wouldnt use again and left them for the maid but needed to get permission from the management, so they didnt think she was stealing them.

Better, travel sized lotions, like the kind you get from the malls

Better Chocolates

Nice little Soaps

Nail polish in smaller bottles

Try to think of things that would be a nice touch, Remember they live compleatly different from us and occasionally its nice to have somethign that you can not get where you live.

We also in the past have taken down flip flops and barterd with them on the beach. They can be expensive in Mexico.

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
684 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Giftables along with Maid Tips

I forgot to add it would also be kind and appreciated if you left a little note ..... the note should say something like "un regalo para la camarista."

That way if questioned the maid would have it and also it would be obvious you left it for her. :O)

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
684 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Giftables along with Maid Tips

ok, so I dont mean to keep posting to my own thread but here is another thing to think of, then the rest of you guys/gals can add to the thread :O)

Dont forget about your Waiters at the pool and Bartenders. They LOVE getting Baseball hats with home town Logos or a sports team that is doing great!

Remember this is IN ADDITION to Peso's not your Home Town Currency. Make life easy on them by Tipping in Peso's so they dont have to wait in those long bank lines!

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Giftables along with Maid Tips

I know your heart is in the right place, and bless you for thinking of the locals, but if you are really trying to show appreciation, please give pesos, not soaps or chocolates or nail polish. They will so appreciate any bit of money you can give, because wages are so very low here and your tip makes a difference and will be put to good use.

BC Okanagan
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Giftables along with Maid Tips

Mazzi, are you saying just tip bigger instead of tipping normally and adding a gift?

I thought that the gift was like a personal thank you.

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
684 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Giftables along with Maid Tips

I also thought it was a "personal" thankyou. That is why I expressed IN ADDITION to a PESO tip

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Giftables along with Maid Tips

When traveling our little girl is in charge of placing the $ and the treats on each of our beds.... She is digging in our pockets even before the sun is up to get out the $, because she does not want to forget !! We always leave 2 to 3 dollars on each bed every day ( and more on the finally day) and we have a wonderful place close to our town that make great chocolates... so she also get 1 very large size candy bars placed on each bed too !! We have had the ladies tell us that they really love our chocolates from the states.... and that the take them home to share with her famliy or give them to her special sweetie !!! Yes they do need the money...but sometimes too I feel a little special gift is much welcomed by them...

Disney Chicks

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Giftables along with Maid Tips

sunseeeker...I do the same every time we go to Maz...i know a lot of you dont agree with this gift idea, but please keep in mind that it is in ADDITION to a tip, and personally it doesnt matter what part of the world you are in (weatlhy or not)a gift is just that...a gift

Regina Sask Canada
Level Contributor
172 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Giftables along with Maid Tips

I totally agree with the gift. We have always taken something down for the staff where ever we stay. And yes, give the pesos. We tan at a hotel that we don't even stay at and bring them gifts and even send them Xmas cards! The service that we get is unreal. They save us chaise and have towels for us and like I said we don't even stay at the hotel. We don't even pay for our drinks or food the last day that we're there. They have done this for the last 5-6 yrs. This year we took them a cake on our last day and were the staff ever happy. Chocolate is very expensive for them. No different in price than at home and know that they appreciate it.

I always buy a whack of small botles of water for the police on bikes. They know when I'm in town and remember me every year. They really appreciate it on those hot afternoons! Adios Pete

9. Re: Giftables along with Maid Tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 07:16