We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
mlm
Plainfield,IL
Level Contributor
47 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

We were in Mazatlan in early February for our 6th time. There were a total of 10 of us. It was just as great as the other 5 times.

This time we stayed at Pueblo Bonito. It is an older property but very well maintained. The staff are all very friendly (but who isn't in Mazatlan?) The pool water was actually warm enough to swim in. The rooms were spacious and very clean and the beds were very comfortable. Every place else we stayed in the past the beds are very hard, but I actually prefer the hard beds! I sleep much better. They had 4 or 5 different types of pillows you could request. I found that very impressive. This property is a little further from the Golden Zone and we kind of missed being in that area but we could not pass the deal up that we got through Expedia and PB was always someplace we wanted to stay.

We did take the shuttle over to PB Emerald Bay. Although the pool was fabulous we were not at all impressed with the place.

First stop was Ponchos - one of our favorites. Can never go wrong there! We tried Fat Fish and although everyone on these posts have highly recommended it, we were disappoited and probably would not go back. Three out of six of us had the ribs. They said they were good but very fatty. We ate at Heather's twice (again because of previous posts). First time it was all 10 of us and it was maybe around 2 or 3 in the afternoon. We were the only people in the place and the service was SO slow and the food was just okay. One morning my sister and I figured we would give another go. Again wrong choice. Oh well! Can't satisfy everyone! Purple Onion was great for breakfast and we ate there twice for dinner. Great burgers at Munckins and cheap Pacificos! And of course Panamas for breakfast several times!

The timeshare people were not too annoying. Although the lady in brown at the Purple Onion (Blanca) is very annoying - just like others have said. She forgets from day to day that she spoke to you previously and that the answer is still NO.

The weather was okay. Evening's were definitely cool - jeans and a light jacket. Couple of the days were very breezy. It was never hot. We are used to it being much warmer. But it was still better than back in Chicago (they got 8 to 10 inches while we were gone).

One thing we noticed, probably because of cooler temps and dryness, is that there was not an abundance of flowers and lush foliage. In the past years, everywhere you looked it was green and the flowers were beautiful.

All in all we had a great time and we are looking forward to going back for our 7th time. Mazatlan doesn't change much and I guess that is why we love it so much. You know what to expect. It really is great going someplace on vacation and feeling totally comfortable and at ease and it is so easy to get around.

With that being said - we will be taking a 1 year break so now I have to ask - has anyone ever been to Manzanillo and if so would you mind e-mailing me with any suggestions? We are probably going to try that next year.

Thanks in advance for any input on Manzanillo.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for the report. I appreciate you taking the time.

Washington State USA
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for the report.

Isn't there a forum for Manzanillo?

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,455 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

Excellent report. Sorry, Manzanillo is one of the few places in Mexico that has not peaked my interest.

Alberta, Can.
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

Manzanillo is nothing like Mazatlan. You do not stay in the city itself. It is a working port also.

We stayed at a resort up north a ways in village. The beaches are like in Maz. We had a great time with the group we were with but if I went back now, I would be quite bored. To far to go to see anything.

Of coarse the area there is changing like here, but I have not read about any new resorts going up. Some of the older ones have been dropped from the Travel Brochures and with good reason. Just my thoughts.

Central South Dakota
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report

We just returned last week from Maz, but have been to Manzanillo twice before. We always rent houses and avoid the "gold zone" tourist areas. We prefer to hob nob with the locals as much as possible. In Manzanillo we stayed in a gated community, and relied on taxis to get us around. Manzanillo is several years behind Mazatlan in being developed as a tourist destination. There's a lot more of the local Mexican "ambiance" in Manzanillo.

That being said, we love Mazatlan and will probably never go back to Manzanillo. Maz is such a "user friendly" town -- easy to find your way around in. The locals at Maz are very accomodating, if you stay out of the Gold Zone you can avoid the crush of Canadians/US citizens. Manzanillo is now a cruise ship destination port, which it wasn't when we were last there, so I'm sure they're catering more to the tourist than they were in the past.

And of course, Manzanillo is quite a bit further south than Maz, so it's climate is hotter. Also, black sand beaches, the smoking volcano to the SE, the beautiful bay, Manzanillo is a lovely place, too.

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
673 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report

Great Trip Report, thak you for taking the time.

I guess this just sealed it for us with NOT going to the Purple Onion. Its too bad, because I really wanted to try the Tortilla Soup many have talked about. Why cant the owner see that the Lady in Brown is affecting his Rest.?

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
5,583 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report

The hotels pay the owner for the timeshare person to be there.

Lake Minnewawa, mn
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report

Why would anyone go to, or in particular return to, a restaurant where the owner has so little respect for his customers that he has made arrangements to have your experience there ruined.

Maybe he should accept payoff from two or three more timeshares and then he wouldn't have to serve his high priced food.

mlm
Plainfield,IL
Level Contributor
47 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report

Thank you all for your input on Manzanillo. Yes there is a forum for Manzanillo and I plan on going there to post some questions. I am hoping there are local experts just like on the Mazatlan forum. I was curious to hear if there were any Mazatlan lovers who have been there and their thoughts. We have been to many destinations in Mexico and keep coming back to Mazatlan. I guess I am just looking to see if there is someplace out there we might like as much as Mazatlan. So far it hasn't happened.

Sunseeker - don't let the lady in brown stop you from going to Purple Onion. They really do have good food there. We try to be polite when we say no but sometimes they don't take the hint so we have to be a little firmer with our no. Like others have said on these posts - this is what these people do for a living. Over the years we have become good friends with one of the timeshare guys. We always bring him and his kids White Sox shirts, hats, etc. So not all of them are bad or annoying!

10. Re: Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 16:17