We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money & our 1st trip to Mazatlan

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ogden, Utah
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Money & our 1st trip to Mazatlan

We're taking our very first trip to Mazatlan this April 2008. We'll be staying 1- week at the El Cid Yacht Club. A question my wife has is how much clothing should she pack? My question is about money: should we exchange for pesos? do they accept our credit cards at restaurants, hotels, etc.? If you have any suggestions on excursions, that would be very helpful.

thanks, we're excited.

Ogden, Utah

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
673 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money & our 1st trip to Mazatlan

Every one travels a bit differently. Personally, I pack 2 shirts to every pair of bottoms. I am not the dressy up type so I just stick to mainly shorts. You will need a light sweater. I usually only take a couple pairs of socks because I mainly am in my flip flops the whole time!

Exchange for Peso when you get to your Hotel, then while out walking around keep a mental note on what little cambios exchangerates are. We usually only use those if were feeling lazy and not wanting to go to the bank which is usually the best rates.

Again, personally we try NOT to use our credit cards. Many people say its been fine but one time the machine ate our card. To us it was not worth the worry and the hassle it gave us. We tend to take more travlers checks than needed. If we need the money we have it.

Plan a trip (by bus) to Stone Island.

Plan a morning (by bus) to Old Town, take your time walking through Old Town. Have lunch and mosy back when you feel the need. The lounge chairs at the pool will be calling your names and waiting for you when you get "home" to your Resort.

Use the "search" tools here on the board you will get all of the informatiopn you need!!

If you've had to much sun a day trip to Concordia is a great way to see teh Country side while in an AC bus.

We will aslo be in Mazatlan the first week of April. Looking forward to the sand between our toes!

Alberta, Can.
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Money & our 1st trip to Mazatlan

... and while walking in Old Mazatlan do not forget to go to the top of the Freeman Hotel on Olas Altos.

My favorite. View the city the docks and Stone Island.

Try to avoid using credit cards unless in places like your hotel.

There are ATMs at the airport and all over.To avoid paying to much in fees take out more at a time.

If using Travellers cheques, there is a American Express office on the Zone, and a number of banks.

You do not need pesos till you get to your hotel. The taxis from the airport take US $ or pesos. They use 10 pesos to the dollar as exchange. The average rate right now is 10.50. It changes daily.

You are going to be staying in a very nice place. Good walking shoes a must.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
747 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money & our 1st trip to Mazatlan

FYI

I took traveler checks and my atm card. I had issue's getting money out. Had to use the bank across from coasta de ora. I had even contacted my bank before leaving for mzt. I was glad I had a back up plan.

4. Re: Money & our 1st trip to Mazatlan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 12:19