We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pueblo Bonito (not Emerald Bay)

Spokane, WA
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
Pueblo Bonito (not Emerald Bay)

We return to Mazatlan in a few weeks, staying this time at the Pueblo Bonito (not the one at Emerald Bay).

I have seen pictures, but do not know the overall layout. I would appreciate advice on whether there are any room locations that are preferable for wahtever reason or any to avoid. I would like to avoid being too close to noisy areas (last year we really enjoyed the Playa Mazatlan, but we felt fortunate to not have a room close to Joe's Oyster bar) and would welcome a nice view.

We are in a two bedroom suite if that makes any difference in what we might receive and we usually like higher floors so we can open drapes without being on display for people walking by.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pueblo Bonito (not Emerald Bay)

I stayed at the PB in Mazatlan about three years ago. I wish I could help you on room questions but I can say that I thorougly enjoyed the resort and hope to go back there soon. The only reason I haven't gone back is the El Cid keeps sending me these half-off coupons!

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
133 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pueblo Bonito (not Emerald Bay)

You can call reservations ahead of time to ask what your options are and request specific placement, although I do not know whether or not they will truly assign you to a room based on a phone call. We arrived in Mazatlan early last month, staying at the Hotel La Siesta for 3 days before checking in at PB, and stopped in at PB 2 days early to personally request specific room placement. We asked for a top-floor room in the older section, looking straight out on the ocean, and were given exactly that. Had we made the request by phone, it might or might not have been a different story.

We habitually ask for top-floor rooms wherever we go, in order to avoid floor-pounding from the unit above us, but the rooms at PB were so quiet, I doubt we would have heard anything anyway had we been on a lower floor.

I believe I read somebody's post somewhere (perhaps here on TripAdvisor) that they thought the view from lower floors was better due to the height of the palms blocking top-floor views. I can't argue that, but it didn't bother us; we could see the ocean and the closest island just fine between the trees.

The older, larger, section, the northerly of the two, looks out on more activity (2 restaurants, main pool area, larger poolside bar, and main beach area), so it's not as quiet as the newer section to the south, but we never had any issue with noise even though we were usually in bed before 10.

I may be mistaken, but I believe the few 2BR units they do have are all on the western ends, looking directly out on the ocean. Imagine PB as a somewhat-lopsided number 3. The ocean is to the left of the 3, and Avenida Camaron Sabalo is to the right. That would put the 2BR units (if I am correct) all on the far left end points of the 3. You can sort of see what I'm talking about in the photo at pueblobonito-mazatlan.com/cabos_maza_photo.p… - at the far left is the top of the 3, behind the restaurant. To the right of center is the middle of the 3, separating the older section on the left from the newer section on the right. At the right is the bottom of the 3.

I'm sure a call to the reservations desk would confirm (or deny) this.

BC Okanagan
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pueblo Bonito (not Emerald Bay)

Wow kcirbodmot, That was a great response!

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,476 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pueblo Bonito (not Emerald Bay)

From a previous poster:

We just returned from a two week stay at PB Mazatlan. There are about 30 palapas on the beach and you can order food and drinks from there. With regard to rooms, a junior suite has two double beds, bathroom, and partial kitchen which includes a microwave, two burner stove, blender, toaster, coffee pot, and refrigerator. A new feature this year is an in-room safe which is really convenient for storing valuables, etc. A one bedroom unit has 2 double beds in the bedroom and a pull-out sofa in the main area. There is a full kitchen. There is also an Executive Suite which is a much larger version of the one bedroom and it has two bathrooms. We were lucky enough to stay in one of those the first time we went with family. We prefer the junior suite to the one bedroom since there are just two of us. All rooms have an ocean view and there is daily maid service. There are several restaurants within walking distance. Munchkins across the street serves up a great burger if you are craving one, and we love the tortilla soup at The Place right down the street.

Washington State
Level Contributor
305 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pueblo Bonito (not Emerald Bay)

Hey NWtourist,

I own a timeshare at Pueblo Bonito.

Let me tell you they do have only 3 two bedroom units.

201- Presidential Suite, located on the second floor with very nice view. Old section.

401- Penthouse, located on the fourth floor. Splendid view of both pools, the ocean, etc. Old section.

432 - Penthouse, located on the fourth floor. Old Section. Great views as well. However, this is private and not available to public. I heard this belongs to one of the owners of the resort.

Send an email to my favorite Reservations Assistant, her name is Nancy Acosta and her email is: nacosta@pueblobonito.com.mx. She will tell you which two bedroom will be available on your behalf.

Have a wonderful stay at Pueblo Bonito, the number one hotel in Mazatlan.

Enjoy,

Pat

Washington State
Level Contributor
305 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pueblo Bonito (not Emerald Bay)

Hey NWtourist,

I forgot to add, 201 & 401 are located at the end of the 3, in the middle, so the views are incredible and better than 432 in my opinion.

Enjoy,

Pat

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
133 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pueblo Bonito (not Emerald Bay)

"Send an email to my favorite Reservations Assistant, her name is Nancy Acosta and her email is: nacosta@pueblobonito.com.mx."

I agree; both Nancy and Isela (and Patricia, too) in Reservations were very responsive to our information requests prior to our visit.

And when you're there, see if you can spot the guy who's a supervisor in Maintenance and who (in my opinion) is a dead ringer for Lionel Ritchie ("aaaawww, she's a brick... house!").

Tom

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
673 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pueblo Bonito (not Emerald Bay)

Great views from almost any room we have stayed at here.

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pueblo Bonito (not Emerald Bay)

If you are in one of the 2 bedroon owners suites you have one of the best rooms in the place. The one we stayed in was located on the northern end of the building overlooking the pool & activities area.

No noice, great views, 3 decks, jaccuzi in the master bedroom, exercise equipment in the second bedroom.

Go enjoy & let us know about your trip when you get back.

Spokane, WA
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Pueblo Bonito (not Emerald Bay)

Thank you all so much, but I am embarrassed to admit that I misspoke about our room.

It is not a "two bedroom" (although those sound very nice), but rather what is described as follows as a “Luxury suite”:

Two double beds in bedroom (king beds not available). Twin sofa bed in living/dining room along with dining set, loveseat, and coffee table. Ocean-view balcony or patio with dining set. 705 square feet. Fully equipped kitchenette with two-burner stovetop, microwave oven, refrigerator, toaster, blender, coffeemaker. Shower/tub combination. Two TVs. Vaulted ceilings.

I was thinking two rooms compared to having the beds in the main room, which is what we had last year, and I typed "two-bedroom.

So at the risk of wearing out my welcome, I ask again, any suggestions of rooms/areas to request or rooms/areas to stay away from.

Again, my apologies for the error.