We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some newbie-type questions

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Topic
Some newbie-type questions

OK - I have been a forum stalker long enough.

We are planning a trip (our 1st ANYWHERE south of the border) to Mazatlan late June/early July. I have learned SO MUCH from your site (like its gonna be kinda HOT ... maybe) - you guys are fabulous.

I have a few questions that you probably have somewhere on your site but I just can't find them:

1) We are staying at the El Cid Resort at the Marina. What is the best way to get there from the airport?

2) If we are going to Stone Island - what is the best way to go? Tour or grab some sort of water taxi and do it ourselves?

3) What is the best way to see Copola or the tequilla factory .. Mazatlan Frank? (I kinda want to support a local guy rather than getting involved with a big ol' tour company)

and most important of all ...

Where do you go to get Mazatlan's BEST margarita??

Sandpoint, Idaho
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Some newbie-type questions

#1 is a good question for me as well, wondering the best way to obtain a cab or other transpo from the airport to my hotel (Azteca Inn) for a fellah with limited knowledge of spanish (I feel terrible about going to a country without speaking the language, but I'm studying hard!)

Are there obvious cab zones outside the main doors where they wait? or is there something I should know?

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,045 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some newbie-type questions

Do not get sucked in by the timeshare sharks, they will offer you vans, taxis, ect walk past them to the booth ouside where you can get a taxi it will cost $25-$30 U.S.

Stone Island is about $30 if you book with one of the tour outfits less than half that if you do it yourself. There is quite a bit of info here about how to go about that. Just do a search at the top of the page.

Mazatlan Frank would be as good as any to get lined up on a trip to Copala or the tequilla factory.

Best margarita?? Try the Minnesota Bar $3.50 for a very big, very good one. It is about 5 blocks south of Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan.

Or go to the ferry at El Cid Marina ride acroos to the north side & walk to the La Marina Tennis Club great food & drinks very reasonable

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
747 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some newbie-type questions

Taxi should be 26 to 30, i believe. I think there is a cut off before the el cid marina where it goes up.

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
133 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some newbie-type questions

See the current thread titled, "Timeshare Presentation from Airport." We have visited Mazatlan 4 times and on every trip have taken advantage of the timeshare sales presentations to pay for our transportation to and from the airport, as well as every single tour we have ever taken there (Stone island twice, Copala, Bird Island, etc.). It all depends on your mental approach as to whether or not it's worth it to you, but we save quite literally hundreds and hundreds of dollars every time this way.

This past trip was for 10 days. Thanks to having spent a total of just over 3 hours at 2 different sales pitches, the 2 of us - adults who like to eat shrimp and have a few beers every day - spent barely over $400 for the entire trip for all food, beverages, incidentals, souvenirs, and tours. But you must be prepared, or the sales pitch will make you as bitter as many of the other posters here are. As I said, read the other thread and, whatever you decide to do, ENJOY!!

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Some newbie-type questions

Thanks so much for all the advice. I think I will forgo the timeshare people and just take a taxi and relax. I can think of about a zillion things I would rather be doing than spending 3-4 hours listening to a high pressure sales pitch.

My next round of questions:

1) I know cruise ships port in Mazatlan on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Should I steer clear of certain parts of town during those days? What do the cruise people tend to hit?

2) Should I worry about drinking the water at the resort?

3) My daughters love mexican hot chocolate. Can they get a cup in the marchado?

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some newbie-type questions

"Thanks so much for all the advice. I think I will forgo the timeshare people and just take a taxi and relax. I can think of about a zillion things I would rather be doing than spending 3-4 hours listening to a high pressure sales pitch.

My next round of questions:

1) I know cruise ships port in Mazatlan on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Should I steer clear of certain parts of town during those days? What do the cruise people tend to hit?

2) Should I worry about drinking the water at the resort?

3) My daughters love mexican hot chocolate. Can they get a cup in the marchado?"

That's a wise decision on the taxi from the airport. The cruise ships have never affected me although some prices in the Golden Zone gift shops may go up. Most of the resorts have purified water and drinking from the faucet has never made me sick. Don't know about the hot chcolate.

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,463 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some newbie-type questions

Yes, avoid the central market and Gaviotis area of the Golden zone when cruise ships are in town. The prices go up and shop owners refuse to negotiate.

I highly recommend Mazatlan Frank for both tours queried.

Mexican hot chocolate can be purchased in powder form at the market--called "Chocolate Ibarra" or "Abuelita" Chocolate Abuelita.

We like it at Panama Restaurant in the Golden Zone. Other restaurants have it as well.

Go to Stone Island on your own. cheaper andyou get to do what you want to do.

Mazatlan
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Some newbie-type questions

You also can take a van from the airport to your hotel, and it costs $65 pesos or $6.50 US. It may stop at a number of other hotels before yours, but I'm cheap and almost always use that option.

Jersey City, NJ USA
Destination Expert
for Jersey City
Level Contributor
872 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some newbie-type questions

^^ interesting.. what is the name of this van and where in the airport can i take it? do u think it would stop at the holiday inn sunspree (or nearby, im pretty sure we could walk it)

Mazatlan
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Some newbie-type questions

The vans are right at the exit from the airport. There is a ticket window where you purchase a ticket, and someone will show you which van. They stop at any hotel you ask them to, or even a private residence.