We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zone-to-zone travel

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southern Oregon
Level Contributor
190 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Zone-to-zone travel

We're expecting to take the bus quite a bit during our stay at P.B. Maz. Who can beat the price?

But I've seen some mention of traveling between zones, and its relation to pulmonia fare.

So, from P.B. Maz to Catedral de Mazatlan, how much should we expect to pay for a pulmonia? That's about as far as we're going to go one-way.

Halfway to that, from P.B. Maz to, say, right around Valentino's, how much?

Mazatlan
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Zone-to-zone travel

According to the tourism office you should expect to pay 50 - 60 pesos for that trip. According to the Pacific Pearl - the zone to zone fare posting made earlier in this forum - should be $40 pesos.

I'd like to get the real scoop on "zone" travel for pulmonias as well. If the zone regulations for pulmonias are correct, a LOT of folks are over paying for pulmonia rides.

Ontario
Level Contributor
3,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zone-to-zone travel

From what I understand, pulmonias are a sort of tourist attraction, and are not regulated like the taxis. If I'm wrong, which is entirely possible, you could expect to pay a little more than a taxi anyway for the thrill of the whole thing!

As rates are negotiated for both, and many are not comfortable negotiating, I think that a LOT of folks are indeed over-paying for a pulmonia, whatever that means. It's a free market out there, unless and until the city starts pulling licenses....?

In our recent experience, PB to downtown the 50 to 60 pesos is probably correct, very unlikely to be less than 50. To Valentinos you shouldn't be paying more than 40, might get away with less.

The buses are excellent as you note.....

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Zone-to-zone travel

I got kind of wrapped up in the cost of taxis and pulmonia's once upon a time...then stopped and thought about that I was concerned about 1 or 2 dollars...didnt matter any more after that...dont want to get ripped off but for $2 wasn't worried about it any more

Mazatlan
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Zone-to-zone travel

Of course you're right CrazyGolfer. A buck or 2 isn't going to make or break anyone's vacation. I would just like to find out the real story about "zones" and pulmonias. Maybe its why some of my Mexican friends simply pay a fare without negotiating - they "know" the correct zone fare.

The big ripoff I hear about is from the cruise ship docks. 100 pesos for a ride to the Plaza Machado - about 10 blocks and surely in the same zone. That fare should be $25 pesos max. This won't ruin a vacation either, but it certainly isn't fair.

British Columbia
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zone-to-zone travel

My 2 friends took great sport in negotiating Pulmoniey fares every time we went anywhere. It was a bit time consuming but it did verify the expected cost at the end of the ride. Crazygolfer is right though, as although my friends always got "the good price" I usually paid and just rounded up the amount to either 50 pesos or 100 pesos. Not very many 100 peso (10 dollar) rides out there.

From the Royal Villas to the Cathedral or the Centro Market was a 100 peso ride. On our return 6 of us got a nice newer Van ride for the same 100 peso cost.

Everywhere else we went the cost was a low of 20 pesos and a high of 50 pesos. When you think about the cost of airfare, hotels, meals, and drinks the cost of taxi fare is minimal. Our 6 person group certainly spent much more money on booze than on taxi rides.

Washington State USA
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Zone-to-zone travel

Quote: "From the Royal Villas to the Cathedral or the Centro Market was a 100 peso ride."

Double what it should be, unfortunately. Not only do I think we all should try to help ourselves a bit by not allowing the drivers to get too deeply into our wallets, we should also think of the others, the locals/expats/snowbirds, etc., so they don't have to deal with drivers only looking for the big bucks when they need a lift. I don't believe there should be any pressure on those folks to pay a higher than appropriate fee...been discussed here before....just MHO....... :)

Lar

7. Re: Zone-to-zone travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 15:19