We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day to remember

L.A.
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
A day to remember

hey everyone

the wife and I will be in mazatlan for a day on a cruise ship in two weeks. were both late 40s not into the beach or partying. Done enough shopping in mexico already, we would like to return to the ship with a truly memorable day in mazatlan. Any suggestions?

Mercado Pino Suarez
Gift & Speciality Shops
Look Vintage and Modern Gallery
Art Galleries, Gift & Speciality Shops
Joyeria Cielito Lindo
Gift & Speciality Shops
Mercado Municipal
Flea & Street Markets
Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A day to remember

Taxi tour, followed by a massage at one of the spas, Aroma Spa or Las Palmas - both not far from the Cruise ships.

Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A day to remember

Sorry, should be more specific:

meant to say Pulmonia tour of the city, not taxi tour.

Get a good driver and they will know where to show you around.

Ontario
Level Contributor
3,021 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A day to remember

If it were me, I would hire a pulmonia driver at the dock, and get him to take you downtown. Places to see are the Plazuela Marchado, the theatre and tour, and the main market four or five blocks north. On the way you will pass the cathedral.

For lunch you could eat in the Plazuela at one of the many sidewalk cafes, or take a cab down to La Puntilla restaurant and catch the small ferry to Stone Island for lunch, drinks, quads, horses, banana rides, or just relaxing on one of the best beaches anywhere.

The ferry back gets you to within sight of your ship.

Many other things to do, but that will give you flavour of the city and beaches.

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
685 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A day to remember

I am with Nelis on this one, with the option of getting to Stone Island for lunch. This tour will get you the sights of Old Town, while sight seeing along the way.

Once you find the Plumonia's talk to each driver, see what their level of English is, and go with the one you feel most comfortable talking to. This will help make the trip more enjoyable.

After the sightseeing in the Pulmonia, have him take you to the ferry dock and ride the boat ferry's to Stone Island where you can go to a quiet lunch on the Beach at maybe Lety's. Tell them you are on your Honeymoon, I bet they step it up a notch. (dont really know for sure but what the heck, it cant hurt!)

Dont forget your Camara and have someone take your picture while you are in the Pulmonia, its a great shot!

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,646 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A day to remember

Excerpt from my book, "Mazatlan IS Paradis."

I have been asked several times what I would do if I had one day in the port of Mazatlán. It depends on personal preferences. If you are into the “Herd mentality” or just prefer having skilled tour guides enhance the experience with good information, go on a shore excursion tour.

That said, if you would like a taste of the countryside, take the Sierra Madre tour. It is usually 7-9 hours in length, and an air conditioned bus will take you to the centuries-old village of Concordia where you can actually see bricks, tiles, and furniture being manufactured. You will be amazed with the ancient tools used and the beautiful artistry of the finished products. While there visit the cathedral and park. You will then go further into the Sierra Madres and stop at a little silver mining town called Copala. While a few American and Canadians live there, this village will take you back into time. Don’t miss visiting the recently repaired church. Oh yes, no one leaves Copala without partaking of Daniel’s world famous coconut crème pie.

Most ships provide a shore excursion called something like, “Old Mazatlán Walking Tour.” You will be guided through the narrow streets where you can visit the old Angela Peralta Theater, cathedral, central market, and a couple museums. You should learn a great deal about the history of Mazatlán. They will take you to the Golden Zone for shopping, but beware—the place they drop you will be where all the cruise ships send shore excursions—and the prices are higher. I suggest that you stay in the downtown area and have lunch at one of the sidewalk cafes, then wave down a Pulmonia driver and tell him to take you to “Here is Paco,” gift shop.

All you really need is a map of Mazatlán and a sense of adventure and you can save some money to be used for additional shopping. When you exit the cruise ship, flag down a Pulmonia and tell him to take you to the street called A. Serdan where the central market is located. Then follow the simple directions I provide you called “A walk in the downtown area,” in Chapter 5. After the walk, stop at one of the cafes in Olas Altas for a nice Mexican lunch while people watching.

Following lunch, you should be rested and ready for some serious shopping. You can be sure that a pulmonia will be parked nearby, and the driver will be waiting for you to pay the check and stand. Tell him to take you to “Here is Paco” gift shop. There are several shops on that and the block south of Paco’s that you can get the same deal by showing my book. When you are ready to drop, hail another Pulmonia and tell the driver to take you to the cruise ship dock. Enjoy the open-air ride along the malecón to your home-away-from-home-on-the-sea.

e:"

Mentioned in this post
Concordia
Concordia
Sinaloa, Mexico
Copala
Copala
Sinaloa, Mexico
Golden Zone
Golden Zone
381 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
6. Re: A day to remember

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 14:17
Get answers to your questions about Mazatlan