We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Early April 08

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
685 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Early April 08

Well, there have been some great TR's in the last week and I'm just going to let ya know the basics, as I am a basics kinda gal. :O)

We arrived got settled in and went out for a bite to eat. We decided that El Paraje (The Place Restaurant)

would be our first meal as it was close to PB and weve eaten there before. Wasnt the best meal we had.

Went to PBEB for the presentation, as we are owners at PB it was a low pressure. It beautiful but a bit "swanky" for us. I imagine in a few years that part of "New Mazatlan" will be a great addition once it gets built up with Shopping and Rest. so there is something to do out that way.

The next day we were craving Taco's so we ventured on the bus to "MEGA" and got some provisons and walked back twards the GZ. Ended eating Tacos at Tacoloco (?) Big yellow building with a drive through beer joint across the street with loud music. (near the movie theater)

EXELLENT Tacos!

We booked a tour with a catamaran "The BULA" Fantastic trip/tour.

Less than 20 of us on the boat, fresh fruit platter on arrival,Beer & drinks (pop for me) Off we went. Rode down to the rock near stone Island with the seals, I was impressed with the Capt. of the BULA, in keeping his distance from the Seals as the other "Tour" boats got in real close and annoyed the Seals. Then turned back and sailed to Deer Island. We spent aprox two hours on Deer Island. Ate a provided lunch (sandwich & chips)and enjoyed Kayaking which was included. Great Beach to roam on and just enjoy yourself. There are makeshift Vault toilets in Tents on the Island. We noticed a group climbing up the hill for a hike, which would be great if you were prepard for that journey. (shoes)

Getting back on the boat... They put up the sails and sailed back to the Marina. We were able to see Porpoise on our journey several times (same group)

I really enjoyed this tour as there was music, but it was background music not loud in your face music.

We ate at a Rest. (dont remember the name) but it was next to Tony's and then Chile Peppers was after that.

Exellent Meal!! We shared a platter that had shrimps, lobster and came with rice, veggies and some potaoto concoction that was yummy. Soup was also included. $400.00 Peso's ($40 bucks) Would recommend this place to any one, if I could only remember the name.

Ponchos is always a good meal. Had the Lava bowl thing, and a whole fish. Yummy.

Not much else as I choose to just hang out at the PB Resort.

My Husband and a another Family that went down with us went on the Huana Coa Canopy Tour.(I opted out to chill at the pool and some alone time) My Husband was not impressed with the tour, it was HOT and the lines were not that high up. (After going on the Zip Lines in PV to Los Veranos, he said there was NO comparison.

We checked out of PB and checked into "La Siesta" in Old Town. Perfect budget Hotel acorss the street from the Beach. Our first meal was at Puerto Viejo just a couple of blocks from the La Siesta. It was busy with Locals so it was jsut up our ally. The food was Exellent and we were please with all of our selections. The next two days were spent exploring Centro Historico,in Old Town. Saturday night we ventured back to the Square (merchado?) where local Vendors were selling their goods. Some GREAT deals. We found the whole evening enchanting. Ate at Domitilla's which was very good. Pedro's was packed and had a waiting line, as so was the Machado Fish place. We had two kids under 10 with us and it was getting late so we ate where we could be seated. We had Carne Asada which was the best I had had down there and out friends had the Coconut Shrimp that looked wonderful.

Sunday we wandered down by the Cathederal and the boys enjoyed purchasing seed from the Vendors and feeding the Pidgeons. to them they were having a blast and it was fun watching our 6 year old chase them away and then tease tehm back with seed.

We had a great vacation, I did just enough, and enjoyed just being lazy.

P.s. The water park looked closed every time we went by there so we didnt even try.

Washington State USA
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Early April 08

Hey, thanks! Enjoyed your report.

I think the restaurant you ate at is Loco's Loco's. When we went by there the waiters from that place AND from Tony's came rushing up to us acting like timeshare sharks! I said, "OK, no thanks!", and we walked into Chilis and sat THERE and had some drinks and chips! :) We did not need the "pressure" just to have a snack! :| $18 peso beers at Chilis!

Appreciate your input on the food there, also at Puerto Viejo. We agree, too! Great prices at PV, huh! Glad you enjoyed yourself. If I go back in early July I think I'm going to play golf and then follow your lead by "being lazy" the rest of the time, except for food and cerveza, of course! (:)

L. (G.) {-D--|

calgary
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Early April 08

Thanks for the report. It sounds like you enjoy downtown Mazatlan quite a lot. My family did too. Other than the streets right around the cathedral when the cruise ships were in port, it was so much quieter and more peaceful than the Golden Zone. For anyone with traveling with kids feeding the pigeons in Plaza Machado is must.

Lars

I had a similar experience outside El Paraje. We brushed off this guy near the front door thinking he was a timeshare shark only to realize that he was trying to herd us into the same restaurant we were going to anyway. He laughed and said "you must be hungry."

Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Early April 08

Great trip report (TR)!

Glad you had a good time.

I shall have to look for some of the restaurants you mention on our next trip down.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Early April 08

Thank you so much for another fine read. I have to admit I really like the food & beer comments the most!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
778 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Early April 08

great report , gotta try the bulla trip next trip donw. Glad you had fun and relaxed as well

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
685 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Early April 08

YES! It was Loco Loco.... we saw some people leaving and asked them before anyone even asked us.. The people leaving HIGHLY reccomended the place so we took them up on the offer.

Kinda a simple laid back vacation. Thats the way I like it..... uh huh uh huh (ok, dating my self with music!) name that song!

BC Okanagan
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Early April 08

Great report Sunseeker!! Thanks :)

Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report Early April 08

sunseeker;

song is "That's the way (I like it)" by K.C. & the Sunshine band.

Now who is dating themselves? LOL!

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report Early April 08

"sunseeker;

song is "That's the way (I like it)" by K.C. & the Sunshine band.

Now who is dating themselves? LOL!"

Disco...argh! ...and I thought this was a rock n roll forum!lol

10. Re: Trip Report Early April 08

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 04:18