We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living in Mexico full-time?

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, Mission
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Living in Mexico full-time?

Been researching on the forums and elsewhere.

With various benefits of living in Mexico full-time, or even for 6 months, I'm looking now at trying to convince my wife we should look at an alternative lifestyle from my day-in / day-out job, i.e. trying something different. It would require us selling the house in a year or two and down-sizing to two smaller residences - one in Canada and one rental in Mexico, i.e. Mazatlan.

1. Typically, what do you Mazatlan experts / ex-pats from USA and Canada pay for Health Care Insurance in Mexico? Are there Mexican health insurance packages available?

I've been hearing both good and bad about Mexican health care, with the good out-weighing the bad.

2. Car insurance cost for 6 months?

3. Won't ask about housing rentals, as I know this can vary depending on wants and desires, location, and other. This we will address when the time comes.

4. Typical jobs available to foreigners / immigrants - aside from Timeshare sales (Yeck!).

All input welcome, thanks.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Living in Mexico full-time?

I hope your "high roller" timeshare buddies don't see your comment there!!

Ontario
Level Contributor
2,992 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Living in Mexico full-time?

As this site is primarily for tourists, or should be, you are asking the wrong people. Try http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MazInfo/ where there are many people who have done what you are discussing.

IMHO your concerns are details, although I wouldn't bet on getting a job in Mazatlan unless no locals can come close to doing.

More important is to spend significant time living there - six months minimum, although a year would give you the full gamut of weather issues - to see if it works for you. It doesn't for many, and certainly two weeks experience doesn't come close.

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,031 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Living in Mexico full-time?

You have been reading my mind.

I am thinking of the same thing. Maybe a nice little casa in Mazatlan Dec.through May then back up here June through Nov.

I wouldn't worry about work down there too much but would try to find something to keep me from getting bored.

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Living in Mexico full-time?

Thanks guys.

Neils,

we would likely do a "trial run" of 4 to 6 months at some point before we decide go longer.

Every time I come to Mexico, I long to return.

I don't care what nay-sayers say about the negatives of Mexico, e.g. CBC web-site posts by people about the predicament of Brenda Martin who just yesterday - after two years - had her "formal" judgement handed down by the Mexican courts.

Birdman;

I think lots of people from this area are alternating their seasons between here and Mazatlan (or PV).

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Living in Mexico full-time?

neils advice about mazinfo is correct. It is devoted to more detailed info about living in Mazatlan with about 3000 members. But a short answer for you;

1. IMSS (Mexican social security is about $300 USD per year. Private plans are available for around $1200 per year. The health care is supurb!

2. Depends on the vehicle but figure about $400 per year.

3. From $350 to $2,000 per month with many nice placesat around $750 to $1000.

4. Not much. You can however start a business.

If you want details you can contact me dirrect or get onto mazinfo.

Mazatlan
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Living in Mexico full-time?

You might also try the following 3 sites:

http://www.whatsupmaz.org/

and

http://www.maztravel.com/kwiki/index.cgi

http://www.maztravel.com

MazTravel has extensive information about living in Mexico.

The job market is very tough to break into in Mexico. It will most likely take years for you to build any type of successful business and there is a LOT of competition.

Mazatlan
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Living in Mexico full-time?

If you REALLY want to consider a move to Mexico and are looking outside of Mazatlan, you might join this forum ($30 a year).

http://mexconnected.com/

Almost every conceivable question to life and living in Mexico can easily be found using the search feature (something not easy to do with the other forums listed above). Rolly's site -

http://www.rollybrook.com/

is also a great place to start - if you get serious!

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Living in Mexico full-time?

Read my book, "Maatlan IS Paradise." It was written to answer all your questions. I am a snow bird, live here six months and in Washington State the other six months. It gets easier as routines are established and most importantly the support groups in Mazatlan are fabulous.

Washington State USA
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Living in Mexico full-time?

Wow! With all this outpouring of info and help, I think the Professor may already be lowering his ride and stocking up on squared-off, untucked white shirts! (:)

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Living in Mexico full-time?

Thanks for all the great info.

I also appreciate the PMs people have sent me.

The info will provide detailed persuasive advice when I get into conversations with my wife ...

and my Manager. Apparently, we have at least two offices in Mexico, with one on the Pacific coast. I can only hope that given all the Latin American documentation work I've been doing lately - in Spanish - that I can convince him to send me to Mexico on a long term work exchange that would help out our Mexican associates in their offices there.