We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decisions

El Dorado, Arkansas
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Topic
Decisions

I want to bring my son to Mexico next spring for his graduation. I can't decide on Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarta? We love the beach and he loves fishing. We have been to Ocho Rios, Jamaica, Cozumel and Playa del Carmen but want to try the Mexican Rivera.

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,066 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Decisions

If you like high prices, crowds, rip offs, ect I would say go to Puerto villarta otherwise go to Maz. Nuff said??

Mazatlan
Level Contributor
474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Decisions

I see you posted the same question in different forums. Of course, everyone's going to give you a different answer.

Here's my honest to goodness: You both love the beach and he loves fishing: Mazatlan.

Now there are other things to consider. Is money an issue? Are you looking for nightlife? Are you looking for a quiet hotel or a busy tourist come'ngo?

As I'm writing this I'm sitting in my office looking out my window. (it's right in front of the ocean) I gotta tell you, we have a great looking beach.

El Dorado, Arkansas
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Decisions

Thanks you both so much. Night life is not high on my list, just relaxing by the ocean, good food and drinks, some shopping & sightseeing. Money is no problem. Mazatlan was where I was leaning towards. Can you recommend a good resort ot hotel?

AB canada
Level Contributor
416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Decisions

danelf.....I am so jealous of your office that over looks the beaches of Mazatlan. What kind of work do you do? Do you need an assistant?

Caribbeangirl....Mazatlan will not disappoint you, it is very easy to fall in love with the people, their food, their weather, the beaches, most of all the people. Emerge your self in the culture, and mingle with the people as much as you can.

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,066 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Decisions

There are several look to the lower left of this post & you'll see about 20 of them I like Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan, El Cid Marina, or The Inn At Mazatlan in that order but others will say differently so look em, over pick one, & have fun.

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,066 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Decisions

There are several look to the lower left of this post & you'll see about 20 of them I like Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan, El Cid Marina, or The Inn At Mazatlan in that order but others will say differently so look em, over pick one, & have fun.

Mazatlan
Level Contributor
474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Decisions

Sierrado... Come on over!! Take over for me for a while. I need a vacation... pronto.

CaribbeanGirl... My personal favorite has to be (and always will be) Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay. Most people here, even though they probably agree that it's the best looking hotel, don't recomend it because it's too darn far away from anything worth seeing. El Cid Marina would probably be my second choice but the problem here (if there ever was one) is that you don't have a beach right in front of the hotel. It's there, but not quite there. You have to take a water taxi that leaves you on the other side of the marina and then you can access the beach. The other good thing is that your son can charter a fishing boat right there and then. And probably choice numero 3 would have to be Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan. Very nice beach, great looking hotel, right next to the marina.

These would be my choices.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
409 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Decisions

we've stayed at the el cid marina and it is very nice. If fishing is what he wants to do you couldn't be in a better place. This a little bit out of the way. They do have a van that will take you to their other resort it is more in town and easier and closer to walk to and from things.

Staying at a resort in the golden zone would be closer to the night clubs and such.

We toured the Royal Villas and it was beautiful. We have stayed at the Inn at Mazatlan. The rooms aren't much to brag about but the service was great and the beach right in front of the resort was very nice. There are alot of water/beach activities it that area (banana boats, parasailing) We have also stayed at Pueblo Bonito (in town) It is beautiful and the service is great.

Puerto Vallarta is beautiful and it is more of a party town than Mazatlan. There are alot more activities if that is what you are looking for. Any of the tours done by Vallarta adventures you can't go wrong. Good luck and have fun.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
409 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Decisions

we've stayed at the el cid marina and it is very nice. If fishing is what he wants to do you couldn't be in a better place. This a little bit out of the way. They do have a van that will take you to their other resort it is more in town and easier and closer to walk to and from things.

Staying at a resort in the golden zone would be closer to the night clubs and such.

We toured the Royal Villas and it was beautiful. We have stayed at the Inn at Mazatlan. The rooms aren't much to brag about but the service was great and the beach right in front of the resort was very nice. There are alot of water/beach activities it that area (banana boats, parasailing) We have also stayed at Pueblo Bonito (in town) It is beautiful and the service is great.

Puerto Vallarta is beautiful and it is more of a party town than Mazatlan. There are alot more activities if that is what you are looking for. Any of the tours done by Vallarta adventures you can't go wrong. Good luck and have fun.

El Dorado, Arkansas
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Decisions

Thanks so much for all the replys. My son wants to fish some lake he found in Bass Master magazine, El Salto? Thinks he wants to be the next Pro Bass Master!!!!

Mazatlan it is!!! See ya next summer!!

Get answers to your questions about Mazatlan