We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shrimp ladies

Anchorage, AK
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
shrimp ladies

So, I have to laugh at myself for asking this, but there have been several posts that reference "the shrimp ladies". Is this an actual business or is it just a group of ladies selling shrimp? If I jump into a cab and ask to be taken to the shrimp ladies am I going to get laughed at and taken "for a ride".

Lake Minnewawa, mn
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: shrimp ladies

If you want a cab to the shrimp ladies, I doubt they will laugh at you.

The shrimp ladies are on Aquiles Serdan and Zuniga, just a few blocks north of the central market.

It isn't just shrimp they sell. They have squid and clams and other sea creatures.

While you are in the neighborhood you should also check out the flower market. It is just a block north on Aquiles Serdan at 16 de Septiembre.

While walking through this area I always feel, this is Mexico. Even if you don't buy anything check this area out at least once.

Lake Minnewawa, mn
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: shrimp ladies

Sorry but I missed part of your questions.

The shrimp ladies are not an actual business. It is a group of ladies that have an umbrella, a chair and some coolers lined up on both sides of the street for a block.

The flower market is individuals that have taken over the old bus station and have individual stalls and sell beautiful flowers.

3. Re: shrimp ladies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 January 2009, 09:13
Canada
Level Contributor
383 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shrimp ladies

So if I buy shrimp, from whomever, (I may try buying some from the man on the beach... I know it's more expensive but he lures us every morning) does anyone have preparation suggestions using readily available ingredients? I'm a decent cook, but when it comes to shrimp I've been known to murder them :(

As we'll just have a kitchenette with minimal cooking supplies I'm looking for simple yet flavorful ideas.

Ontario
Level Contributor
3,009 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shrimp ladies

Saute lightly in garlic butter in a frying pan. And remember...lightly! You can add seasoning or hotness to taste - we don't.

Mazatlan
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: shrimp ladies

just tell the taxi driver to take you "Las Changueras", a real typical mazatlan place

Anchorage, AK
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: shrimp ladies

Thank you so much for your reponses, you guys are always so helpful. I can't wait to get my hands on those addictive little buggers. I have to say Mazatlan has ruined shrimp for me, being in Alaska we just don't get that kind of quality up here, that and I think a good beer and warm relaxing beach makes anything taste better. 55 more days and counting!

Anchorage, AK
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: shrimp ladies

I always like to have boiled shrimp dipped in a mixture of melted butter, fresh garlic, a dash of lemon juice and some Cholula Sauce. Yep my mouth is officially watering.

Canada
Level Contributor
383 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: shrimp ladies

Me too getoutandlive...had shrimp last night at Tony Romas which were very good but hubby and I were in agreement that there's no comparison to the "addictive little buggers" in Mazatlan lol

So approximately how long for a boil, or a "light" saute? I'm sure it's a feel or a look cooking time but I'm miss paranoid about raw food of any kind so maybe a no more than a certain amount of minutes cook time might help me. Thanks!

Mazatlán, Sin...
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: shrimp ladies

prices, Here is the best, clearest advice on cooking shrimp:

"Shrimp are easy to cook by any number of preparation methods. There's only one rule: don't overcook. Shrimp are done when they turn pink and can be tough if cooked too long. For best results, cook the minimum amount of time specified in a recipe and watch closely.

The quickest, easiest way to prepare shrimp is to boil it. Unpeeled shrimp will take about three minutes of cooking time and peeled shrimp will be done in one to two minutes. To stop the cooking process, drain the shrimp as soon as it turns pink and rinse in cold water."

Naturally, the time will vary slightly for the size. The above will be correct for most large size (20-25 per pound) shrimp. SLIGHTLY LONGER for larger, slightly shorter for smaller.