We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shrimp ladies hours

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
409 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Shrimp ladies hours

Any idea what the hours are the shrimp ladies are available to purchase shrimp from?

Thanks

Mazatlán, Sin...
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shrimp ladies hours

From very early in the morning until they're out! That usually happens in the early afternoon.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
409 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shrimp ladies hours

Thanks

3. Re: Shrimp ladies hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 January 2009, 06:41
Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,066 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shrimp ladies hours

We have found that although they are a little more expesive (or maybe not when you figure transportaion costs) the shrimp man that travels the beach every morning has a far better product than the shrimp ladies have.

I know some folks will argue & everyone has their opinion but having been in the seafood industry for over 40 years I know quality (or lack thereof)when I smell it.

If you do decide to buy them from the shrimp ladies, do it early in the morning & get them back to referigation ASAP.

Unless things have changed in the past couple years, the shrimp ladies store their shrimp in a water & ice slurry from the time they arrive until they are sold out, by early afternoon they may be good for a bisque but not much else in my opinion.

As a sidenote; I used to fish for crab, salmon & tuna out of Florence about 30 year ago.

Gville SC
Level Contributor
176 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shrimp ladies hours

Birdman, Florence??? Florence where? Just curious, the 'auto link' pointed to Florence Italy.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shrimp ladies hours

I've always received very good quality shrimp from the ladies. I always "shop" though and don't think they're all the same. I've seen some that looked pretty bad and would not buy.

Having been in the legal industry and had many, many cases pertaining to seafood on the western us coast for many years, I've heard it all, and I would question somebody hawking shrimp in a bucket in the sun than that on ice in the shade.

I'm sure the guy is good, but there is not a comparison, in my opinion.

BC Okanagan
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shrimp ladies hours

Im thinking Birdman is referring to Florence Oregon? Home of the Sand dunes? Great place!

Ontario
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shrimp ladies hours

I'm with birdman on this one. I don't know where the shrimp ladies get their shrimp from these days. The old story is that they sold the "left-overs" from the nights catch, and was a way for ladies widowed from their fisherman husbands to earn a living. Nowadays they replenish their shrimp from frozen blocks - most of them anyway.

Not to say the shrimp isn't good, but it's variable.

On the other hand, we've always got excellent shrimp from the beach sellers - there are at least four of them at various spots - and they sell out pretty early in the day so there is no sitting out in the sun! Yes, the price is more, but for the guaranteed quality, and the zero transportation costs, it's absolutely worth it.

And to the lawyers out there, do you really think any of these people are going to sell bad shrimp to tourists, and kill the business instantly? It's been many years without incident.

BC Okanagan
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shrimp ladies hours

Shrimping season is generally Oct-June, depending on stocks.

Villa Union, Mexico
Level Contributor
551 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Shrimp ladies hours

The 2008 yearly commercial shrimp fishing 'closed season' veda (fishing ban) for both ocean shrimp fishing and onshore estero marsh lake shrimp fishing started on March 21st 2008;

…sagarpa.gob.mx/wb/cona/cona_07_de_abril_de_…

...and continued until Sept 4th through to Sept 23rd depending on the area, which marsh lake, etc;

www.el-universal.com.mx/notas/533550.html

Talking with several changuera shrimp ladies in both Mazatlan and Villa Union they all said that the shrimp that they sell this time of year comes from shrimp farms and is purchased in frozen 'maqueta' blocks from one of the 15 congeladoras (frozen fish and shrimp processors) in Maz.

Here's an informative article from Jan 19th this year from the local Maz newspaper Noroeste, about changueras;

www.noroeste.com.mx/publicaciones.php…