We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traditional native pottery classes

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Villa Union, Mexico
Level Contributor
551 posts
Save Topic
Traditional native pottery classes

I happened to run into this info on a seperate web search and thought it might be interesting to some as the dates and times are current to about mid Feb 2008;

www.felipeortega.com/micaceousclaymzt.html

Villa Union, Mexico
Level Contributor
551 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Traditional native pottery classes

Sorry that should read "current to about mid Feb 2009".

Mazatlán, Sin...
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traditional native pottery classes

I don't believe that "micaceous clay" pottery is traditional pottery in México.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
956 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Traditional native pottery classes

I don't think he is representing it as traditional Mexican pottery, as a matter of fact on the website it says it is hand built in traditional Jicarilla Apache fashion.

Mazatlán, Sin...
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Traditional native pottery classes

poolds, It wasn't the teacher I was referring to, it was the title of the original post, which was very misleading. Micaceous clay pottery IS one traditional type in New Mexico.

Villa Union, Mexico
Level Contributor
551 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traditional native pottery classes

Without considering that the Apachean tribes of 'New Mexico' were part of 'Old Mexico' until 1847, the first reference that I see for use of micaceous clay / arcilla micáceo for mesoamerican pottery is from about 1300 bc, and as seen in this archeological study of Olmeca culture, pg 309 / 'Tio Peje Micáceo' pot sherds;

…cbuc.es/TESIS_UAB/…ecc1de1.pdf

with micaceous clay being used by various traditional Mexican potters in some areas such as Guerrero to the present.

An interesting aspect of Filipe Ortega's work though is that it is made using traditional coil rope construction.

'Cultura Mazatlan' also seems to feel that Filipe Ortega's work is of some importance to the Maz region;

www.culturamazatlan.com/…

Villa Union, Mexico
Level Contributor
551 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Traditional native pottery classes

Another historic reference to Mexican tribal use of micaceous clay (barro micaceo) pottery is from this interesting report section about Seri native indians from the Guaymas / Hermosillo Sonora area, page 48 top of the page;

…uanl.mx/la/1080013243/1080013243_15.pdf

Villa Union, Mexico
Level Contributor
551 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Traditional native pottery classes

The FAMSI website also gives various references to micaceous tempered ceramics in use in central and southern mesoamerica over the last 2500 years;

http://www.famsi.org/

Villa Union, Mexico
Level Contributor
551 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Traditional native pottery classes

Or there is this excellent small statue grouping in the Princeton University Museums Xochipala, Guerrero collection described as 'Red-brown micaceous clay';

…rutgers.edu/rul/news/archive_03/2003_03_pri…

Villa Union, Mexico
Level Contributor
551 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Traditional native pottery classes

To be strictly accurate as to the original post title of 'Traditional native pottery classes' and as to what Filipe Ortega presents though, Filipe generaly does only micaceous slips over tempered clay pottery or when translated 'engobes Micáceo' of which there are numerous further pre-Colombian, historic and current examples if needed. ;-)

BC Okanagan
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traditional native pottery classes

Ok fly, you are just talking to yourself now LOL!