We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mercado - upstairs restaurants question

Corona, CA
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Mercado - upstairs restaurants question

So my darling husband, the Chef, has informed me that he doesn't want to eat anywhere we've eaten on past trips and wants to search out all new places to dine. Except Lety's... he won't even consider checking going somewhere else on SI. Anyway, it ought to be an intersting trip finding new favorites.

My question: The restuarants upstairs at the mercado, has anyone had a really good meal at a particular restuarant that they can recommend? I've heard they are good but I'm looking to go out there with a specific destination in mind.

This is one place we've never been but I have always been curious about. Any recommendations would be most appreciated.

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,066 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mercado - upstairs restaurants question

We have eaten at 3-4 of them at different times but in my opinion they are only good.

Inexpecive, but not great or even memorable & definatly nothing to write home to momma about.

AB canada
Level Contributor
416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mercado - upstairs restaurants question

I have also eaten at a few of them...don't remember names, but they were all good. I usually picked up a torta especial at one of the little places on the Serdan side of the market for the bus ride to work..always good.

Meadview, Arizona
Level Contributor
236 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mercado - upstairs restaurants question

I wasn't impressed with the food or the service at the main Mercado. But the view from the balcony makes up for them. The food was better at the other Mercado off the Malacon. I've never had any issues with the street vendors. If the locals eat there it's good.

Corona, CA
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mercado - upstairs restaurants question

Thanks for the info...I think we may pass then. There is plenty of wonderful food else where.

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,745 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mercado - upstairs restaurants question

We have never figured out why tourists would want to eat above the Market. The fumes from the buses and traffic must be thick up there. We have grabbed something on the fly periodically from the lower floor eatery, but it's definitely not something we would recommend to tourists as a place to enjoy a meal. There are many other places in close proximity that I think are a better bet for food, cleanliness, and atmosphere. Just my personal opinion.

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,066 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mercado - upstairs restaurants question

Everyone has their "favorite restraunt". We had heard of a few upstairs that were supposed to be good so tried them, as I said in an earlier post they were nothing to write home about & will, like many others that have eaten there be looking for some different eateries in the future.

Canada
Level Contributor
596 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mercado - upstairs restaurants question

I ate at Panama dwontown it was excellent!! I wanted to try the one outside the Golden Zone!! Maybe that would interest your husband!!

Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mercado - upstairs restaurants question

Have you tried El Tunel? It's across from the Angela Peralta theatre near Plazuela Machado.

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
138 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mercado - upstairs restaurants question

In countless Mazatlan meals over the past 12 years, the best I've ever had was the camarones zareondado served at one of the restaurants on the 2nd level of the Centro Mercado in Feb of '08. It was right next to (I think) Karen's. It's on the corner of the building, kitty-corner from the electronics store.

10. Re: Mercado - upstairs restaurants question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 15:19