We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental

Texas
2 posts
Save Topic
car rental

I don't see any info about car rentals. Is it risky to drive in Mazatlan area? Does anyone recommend renting a car there or is it too congested and difficult to get around ?? We are going in May.

huntington beach
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental

theres a car company called Aga that is local and seems like the cheapest. I don't know how safe it is ,but it seems like buses are the best value, as the car rentals make you get all kinds of insurance.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental

Unless you have a reason to have a car, you are better off using cabs and pulmonias-relatively inexpensive compared to the USA and Canada and lots of them! Much easier-waaay less hassle! Parking is at a premium in most areas of the city-better tho in the Golden Zone than elsewhere. Unless you know the city it can just be a royal pain in the butt to have your own.

Mentioned in this post
Golden Zone
Golden Zone
381 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
409 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental

We did a trip up to Copola and Concordia (sp) for the day. We rented from Alamo. We did the reservation online (cheaper for some reason than directly with the Alamo outlet). Alamo is near Panamas in the gold zone on the main road. The traffic is no worse than Las Vegas. We did buy all the insurance which was more than the actually car rental. For just gettting around town we always use the buses (very cheap) and the pulmonias (sp). So unless you plan on going, going, going, I am not sure renting a car would be worth the price although it was worht it to us since we used it for the side trip I mentioned.

Mentioned in this post
Concordia
Concordia
Sinaloa, Mexico
left coast canada
Level Contributor
493 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental

Was quoted 49.95US$ for a 5 passenger vehicle from Eurocar, included basic insurance. They are also located in the GZ. I didn't end up taking the car, but it seemed reasonable enough if some one wanted to take a trip out of town for a day or two. Otherwise that money will pay for a lot of pulmonia trips.

One thing I wondered about was the amount of insurance one needs to be adequately covered?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
175 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental

Here are the rates quoted at the end of March/09 from the car rental companies in Mazatlan:

1) Advantage Rent a Car: This is a small outfit. Their compact price, which is a Chevy Swing, auto., VW Pointer, standard, or Hyundai, Verna, automatic, is 650 pesos per day and the midsize, VW Crossfox, standard, is 700 pesos per day. These prices include collision and liability and all taxes, with a ten percent deductible.

2) Hertz: Wants 700 pesos for a Fiesta compact and 820 pesos for a midsized Focus and Jetta. Tax, liability and collision insurance, with twenty percent deductible all included. Full coverage, including fire and theft,is an additional 350 pesos per day.

3) Alamo: wants 600 pesos per day for their compact Nissan Tsuru and 700 pesos for a Chevy Optra. You can get full coverage insurance, including fire and theft, for an additional 100 pesos.

4) Aga: their compact price for the Atos or the Platina is 650 pesos per day, both standard. The Tsuru is also a compact, but auto, at 50 pesos as well. Their midsized, Attitude, is 750 pesos per day. These prices include free mileage, taxes, liability and collision, with a ten percent deductible.

5) Budget: They have a Clio by Renault, as a compact, for 650 pesos per day. Their Jetta, auto. and air is 800 pesos per day, including free kms. collision insurance and tax, with a ten percent deductible. Full coverage for fire and theft is 150 pesos per day.

Hope this helps.

Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental

Thanks so much for the great up to date information about car rentals. I think we have decided to go with the buses and taxis. Your input was so helpful to us.

7. Re: car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 14:19
Get answers to your questions about Mazatlan