We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mazatlan - 1st time - help!

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mazatlan - 1st time - help!

My husband and I are thinking about going to Mazatlan in Jan or Feb. We have made many Mexican trips, but not to Mazatlan. Looking for a 4+ resort - all inclusive -- clean -- good food and good beach.. We are not swimmers, so a beach for walking is important. Could you tell us about the weather in Jan/Feb?? Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Patt

BC Okanagan
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mazatlan - 1st time - help!

Hi russpatt, Welcome to the Mazatlan forum.

First thing you will hear around here is, dont go AI!! Mazatlan has lots of great places to eat, drink and be merry at good prices. Its not like a lot of other resort towns. When I was first looking at Mazatlan to take my family, I decided to say no to AI, and I am so glad!! We would have missed so much.

That being said, there is a brand new hotel on a nice long quiet beach about 10min from town. The Riu Mazatlan is AI.

Weather in Jan/Feb is lovely, you will want to bring a light sweater for the evenings. If you look up a few posts, you will see a "sticky" about the weather with lots of info and links.

Others will be along with lots of info for you, our regular members on the forum LOVE Mazatlan, and love to tell you all about it!

Madison Lake...
Level Contributor
245 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mazatlan - 1st time - help!

You will find the beach great at any resort you stay at. We own at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay and I am bias by saying it is the best resort by far, however, we also stay at Captain Moe's Bed and Breakfast and LOVE it as well, I say stay 2 weeks and split it between the two!! The Peso has stayed great and offers so much more in Maz. in regards to food and drink. SOOOO many great restaurants and drinking holes! Maz is real mexico in a touristy area, but not all touristy, the markets and our favorite the Shrimp Ladies downtown where you buy direct from the ladies and take it back to your room or instead of stinking up your room take it around the corner to a little hole in the wall called Dunias and they steam them up for you and cheap beers, also our favorite! You made a great choice in Mazatlan and as Mama stated there will be alot of people on this forum helping you out, it is truely the best forum for information. We go once a year (sad for us) and I check this forum almost daily, it is crack for me! LOL We are going in late January. January could be surprisingly chilly but it is better then the Midwest in winter so we don't care one bit.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
246 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mazatlan - 1st time - help!

Hi RussPat, I'm one of the many fans of Mazatlan. The resorts mentioned prior to my post are very nice, but they are quite a bit away from everything. If you would like to be closer to a variety of restaurants, shopping, people watching, etc., I suggest the El Cid El Moro. It is located on a nice beach and the hotel is very comfortable, clean and spacious. Agree with the advice to not go all inclusive. To me, part of the fun of vacationing in Mazatlan is experiencing all the different restaurants. I think you will really enjoy your trip! Weather in Feb - typically warm (80's) during the day and cool enough for a light jacket or sweater in the evening.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mazatlan - 1st time - help!

I agree with El Cid El Moro. We have stayed both AI and non-AI. Each has hits benefits. It really depends on how much you pay for AI. They sometimes do really good deals that make the AI worth it for drinks by the pool, but not too much that you won't want to go to a different restaurant for dinner

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
673 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mazatlan - 1st time - help!

While I own for Pueblo Bonito (original MZT) I find that Emerald Bay is well to "High End" for us. Not to mention not close enough to the variety of food you can get closer to what they call the "Golden Zone" We really enjoy staying at our PB MZT but also have found that the "Playa" is just perfect and close to everything.

We also have stayed at "La Siesta" near Old Town and loved it for its convience to Old Town.

We tend to stay to the smaller resturants to get a more local flavor of food. But thats us because we love and have been to Mexico many times.

Good homework and research will yeild in the vacation that is right for you!

Have a great Time.

We will be in MZT come March 2010

Try to remember when reading replies that each Travler has their own likes and each Travler has different Vacation "ideas"

Its best to figure how close to want to be to a variety of action/food or if you are into people watching ...OR if you just want a quiet more relaxing vacation.

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
673 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mazatlan - 1st time - help!

BTW Mama40:

Is my "Spong Bob" sheet still saving my chair under that Palm tree out at Gilligans Island?

:O)

BC Okanagan
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mazatlan - 1st time - help!

LOL!, why yes Sunseeker, I sit next to Spong Bob every day, we have happy hour together, talking about you! ;)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,302 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mazatlan - 1st time - help!

I agree with the AI comments. AI in MZT might be a hinderance since yuo may tend to stay put in the property and miss out on other restaurants and stuff off premises. Depends on your preferences. RIU is brand new, is AI and is gorgeous... but well out of the downtown area. Royal Villas is AI, is downtown in the heart of the Golden Zone, is gorgeous too.

Whatever you do... enjoy the trip!

9. Re: Mazatlan - 1st time - help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2010, 05:16