We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mazatlan Restaurant suggestions?

USA
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mazatlan Restaurant suggestions?

Can you suggest some Mazatlan resturants with local flair? We really not intersted in the tourist stops. Thank you very much!

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mazatlan Restaurant suggestions?

Personally, I think almost all restaurants here have their own brand of "local flair" and nothing is totally designed for the tourists. Even places like Senor Frogs get tons of local business. The "social section" of the newspapers often pictures bridal showers or baby showers there. Mazatlan is quite unique that way...and can't be put in the same category as many of the other tourist resorts in Mexico. So it boils down to what sort of food, price range, and location.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
409 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mazatlan Restaurant suggestions?

Where are you staying and we could give you some suggestions near your hotel.

Mazatlan
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mazatlan Restaurant suggestions?

Try this thread on the forum from a few weeks back:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150792-i257-k3092…

I listed 5 or 6 very "local" places.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,387 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mazatlan Restaurant suggestions?

Best hamburger MARY's behind Rico's coffee near El Cid.

Beach dining. Cilantro's in Pueblo Bonito, Chili's Pepper, and Costa Marinera just south of Pueblo Bonito. Pancho's in Golden Zone.

Fun dining. Casa Country, Lionso's Playa Bruha... any restarurant on the square in historic district..

Breakfast. Panama Bakery, The Place ( near Pueblo Bonito).

And don't forget to help Warren Buffett with a DQ in the Golden Zone.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,170 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mazatlan Restaurant suggestions?

I second Cilantro's and Pancho's. They are both on my must-go-to list.

Mazatlán, Sin...
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mazatlan Restaurant suggestions?

OK, here is a list of absolutely excellent (IMHO) restaurants that are totally off the beaten path and definitely very popular with local Mazatlecos:

Chayito's - cenaduría (open from about 1 or 2 PM until about midnight), Sinaloense food. (hamburgers and fries for the kids) little English spoken, no alcohol, but you are welcome to bring your own. Famous for their pozole, but have many other menu items, all are extremely good.

Montalayo - comida restaurant (closed after about 5 or 6 PM), Sinaloense style lamb barbeque, little if any English. A taste treat, but unlike any north-of-the border barbeque. Alcohol - I don't know, but if not, you're welcome to bring your own.

El Bigote - comida restaurant (same comment as above), Sinaloense style roast pig and carnitas, little if any English. The best for this in Mazatlán. Alcohol - I don't know, but if not, you're welcome to bring your own.

Guamuchilito - comida restaurant (same comment), Mazatlán style seafood and fish dishes, probably has an English speaker on duty. Beer available, but I don't know about mixed drinks and wine.

Mamuca's - basically, a comida restaurant, but with closing extended until 9 or 10 PM, An absolutely mind-boggling menu of all sorts of prepared seafood and fish dishes, almost certainly has an English speaker on duty in the evening. Alcoholic drinks available.

There are many, many more, but these are the ones I have personal knowledge of. Nearly everyone who lives or winters here has their own favorite taco and/or grilled carne (beef) restaurant (which might just be a street vendor), comida restaurant for seafood or "comida corrida" – think blue plate special, or cenaduría restaurant for later dining. Only those with fairly "deep pockets" eat at the restaurants in the tourist zone, or at the restaurants in the historic zone.

For those unfamiliar with Mexican (Mazatleco style) meal names, desayuno is a catch-all name for either a very early (not likely in any restaurant) light breakfast or a later big brunch (many Mazatlecos, especially workers, eat both times). Comida is the big meal of the day, normally eaten between 2 PM and 4 PM. Cena is the evening meal, generally a very light one at home or a big one at a cenaduría restaurant. Normally eaten between 9 PM and midnight.

Breakfast gringo style is available at nearly all the hotels in the Golden Zone, the best IMHO is Camacho's in the Balboa Towers Hotel in the heart of the Golden Zone, but few open for breakfast before 9 AM. Actually, few restaurants that serve desayuno/breakfast-brunch anywhere in Mazatlán open before 9 AM. The typical "gringo 6 AM to 8 AM" breakfast is very light, maybe only a bowl of cereal, eaten at home before going to school or work, then the much bigger desayuno/brunch at a morning break more-or-less between 9 and 11 AM. Different from the visitors here, Mexicans usually have 4 meals a day instead of 3 and two are very light.

LAK
Pacifica, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mazatlan Restaurant suggestions?

Try Papagayos at the Inn at Mazatlan. It is good breakfast, lunch and dinner. Mary's across the street has a yummy breakfast and great sandwiches and burgers. Pancho's was really good, too. Have fun!

Mazatlán, Sin...
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mazatlan Restaurant suggestions?

Salmonqueen, My post was ONLY non-tourist-stop restaurants. I wouldn't have posted at all, except ALL of the others were typical tourist restaurants, definitely good, but not what you asked for.

Mazatlán, Sin...
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mazatlan Restaurant suggestions?

Apologies to MazHelp. His list is pretty good too, but more "el centro" oriented (where he lives), with the exception of Te Amo Lucy's where you will rarely see a local Mazatleco (except for some local gringos).

Since I live between the tourist zone (Golden Zone) and downtown (el centro), my list differs from his except that we both agree about Chayito's, which we both put at the top of our respective lists and Montalayo, whose original restaurant is still closer to the Golden Zone than the one he mentioned that is near el centro. At least their restaurant near the Golden Zone is NOT open for dinner (cena), though, unless you eat a very early dinner.

Mazatlan
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mazatlan Restaurant suggestions?

Actually, Te Amo Lucy is starting to get more local (Mexican) customers. Lucy's reputation for excellent Mexican food is really worth a special trip. Its gotten a little pricey compared to the other places I mentioned, but still one of my favorites.

Get answers to your questions about Mazatlan