We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another 1st timer, Rest Suggestion, Best Beach Area Etc.

Santa Barbara
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Topic
Another 1st timer, Rest Suggestion, Best Beach Area Etc.

Boardies, Another 1st timer, I have traveled to PV, Los Cabos before but new to Maz. I like to avoid toursit traps but don't want to miss any must do's Staying at the Crowne Plaza. Enjoy days at beach, palapa, margarita, seafood, home style local rest.

We have 7 days, but need to relax as well ! Wife enjoys shopping,

looking around etc, Are there any must sees in the outside areas !

Thanks in advance for your help boardies :)

Oh yes, Is it woth while to consider a small rental car etc. for a couple of days to to some looking around ?

BC Okanagan
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another 1st timer, Rest Suggestion, Best Beach Area Etc.

Great thing about Mazatlan is you dont need a car to get around. The bus service is great, and my favorite, is to get a pulmonia. Negotiate a city tour fee. Here is an old thread on the subject, Note that prices may have changed, but you will have a ballpark figure.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150792-i257-k1697…

Have your driver show you around old town, and anywhere else that he may think will interest you. Make sure your wife checks out the central market.

Many MANY people have had the best days doing this. Its a great way to learn the town, and if you get a great driver, you will get to try out some of those off the beaten path places.

As far as beach goes, you are on the best one IMO. You can walk north for about an hour, and its not as busy as the hotel strip of the Golden Zone...yet. But, if your wife likes to shop, and lay on the beach with a drink in hand, ( like me ) Grabbing a spot in the GZ and letting the vendors come to you is fun too.

For a little more info on the layout of the city, check out this great map. maps-of-mexico.com/mazatlan-map-interactive/…

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another 1st timer, Rest Suggestion, Best Beach Area Etc.

Great advice. I don't think you would enjoy yourself quite as much, trying to get around on your own in a car. Traffic, parking problems, and not really knowing where you are going, would put a damper on your vacation experience. Not to mention, the possibility of a traffic accident and the circus that involves.

Much easier to hire a taxi or pulmonia driver and tell him what you would like to do and see. If there are any traffic situations, such as happens in the Golden Zone on weekend nights, or around el Centro/Olas Altas during the day, the drivers know the detours. Have a great time. I think you will love your hotel and the area you are staying in.

Santa Barbara
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Another 1st timer, Rest Suggestion, Best Beach Area Etc.

Great Suggestions, I will for sure get that tour together. Now are there any local favorites to eat, drink, people watch etc that we must do. We usually like to do a good breakfast, maybe some light snacks during the days, and of course real honest local dinners. BTW I prefer local restaurants off the beaten path. I'm kind of a foodie. One of my greatest memories of a trip to PV was a favorite in old PV that was suggested by a local. I tell you that was the best pozole (sp.) I have ever had to date. The funny thing was the owner was so suprised to see us. Give me some more lifetime memories for our Mazatlan vacation. Thanks Again :)

If anyone needs suggestions for the Central Coast of CA, ( Santa Barbara)

ask away !!

BC Okanagan
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another 1st timer, Rest Suggestion, Best Beach Area Etc.

Check out this thread. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150792-i257-k3092…

Beaverton, Oregon
Level Contributor
128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another 1st timer, Rest Suggestion, Best Beach Area Etc.

If you like shredded pork, there's a very good place called El Bigote. Coming from the Malecon, it is located on insurgentes on the right side, just past the light where you would turn left to go to the Gran Plaza.

Another great place for a bucket of beer and good Mexican food (seafood too) is called Arre Lulu's. It's up the street from the Shrimp Factory on the way to Panama Bakery.

And another favorite of ours that has great views of the sea and delicous food that's got a lot of local flavor is Puerto Viejo. The Puerto Viejo is right on the Malecón across from the beach Olas Altas. It's on the next-to-last corner before getting to the south end of Olas Altas, just north of the Hotel Freeman.

Have a great trip!! Let us know of any great restaurants you find while there too!! We love to try new things!!!

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
684 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another 1st timer, Rest Suggestion, Best Beach Area Etc.

I will agree with Puerto Viejo!!!

Great food, cold beverages and a prime spot across from the beach!

I had the in English terms "seafood soup" its was so yummy.

7. Re: Another 1st timer, Rest Suggestion, Best Beach Area Etc.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Mazatlan