We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricane Rick - real time

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mazatlan
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
Save Topic
Hurricane Rick - real time

We are experiencing steady light rain now as the outer bands of the storm approach:

http://www.eebmike.com/

The sky got progressively dark during the morning. There were huge thunder heads over the ocean and the surfers are having a blast. The strength of the hurricane has diminished - thus far. We are still expecting some serious flooding, but maybe we'll get lucky.

left coast canada
Level Contributor
493 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurricane Rick - real time

Latest readings looking much better, combination of shear and cooler water doing the trick. Looks like Maz will get the rinse, but avoid the spin cycle.

Ontario
Level Contributor
2,999 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurricane Rick - real time

"Looks like Maz will get the rinse, but avoid the spin cycle."

You have such a nice turn of phrase, warren! The cardboard shrimp will live on in the annals of TA as well.....but for ***s sake, don't overcook them.

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurricane Rick - real time

You are right. It's looking to be downgraded to a Tropical storm even before it passes the tip of the Baja, according to latest predictions from the hurricane center. We can use the rain as we go into dry season, so no complaints about that.

Mazatlan
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurricane Rick - real time

Less than an inch of rain so far. The rain stopped a few hours ago and the ground in my backyard is dry, but the wind has picked up considerably. Maybe it will just fizzle out altogether! As Mazzi says, the rain will be much appreciated.

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,465 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurricane Rick - real time

I arrived back in Mazatlan Sunday, Oct.20, at 3:30 PM. It was overcast and not too hot. Monday it was still overcast and by 11 AM it began to rain in the 'Golden Zone. It rained continuously to 11 PM when I went to bed. When I walked the dog on the beach at noon there was NO ONE on the beach--not vendors, not anyone. When I got to Tony's on the Beach, there were about 6 surfers out enjoying the big waves. I don't know if it rained all night, but I just got up at 7 AM, local and it appears that it has been raining for some time--and it still is. Our plane was completely full on Sunday, but I don't know where they went. I didn't even see any tourists shopping on Monday. They sure picked a bad week for vacationing. For those of us that live here its a respite from the hot humid weather. I can tell you though that I have spoken to several friends in the tourism business, and it has really been bad. Several shops have closed, and people are out of jobs. They have high hopes that the tourists will return to Mazatlan. Thank God Rick will have little effect on Mazatlan.

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurricane Rick - real time

So happy to hear that Rick is going to become only some much needed rain for you folks. Hopefully tourism will pick up as the season progresses. We certainly hope to do our part when we arrive Oct 31st! : )

left coast canada
Level Contributor
493 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hurricane Rick - real time

Couple of webcams for Cabo. It may not be a hurricane, but it definately is not beach weather.

Suppose it's similar in Maz for a day or two.

http://www.cabovillas.com/campage.asp?id=5

2b
BC, Canada
Level Contributor
3,671 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hurricane Rick - real time

I'm with you ricksmoxie! Ger and I promise to give back to Maz ecomony as well.

At least the tropical storm is having some positive effect in terms of lower humidity and ground water.

Mazhelp, did any of the beachside restaurants have customers?

warren, classic post. And may you find perfect shrimp on your next trip.

Mazatlan
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hurricane Rick - real time

Not a lot of folks at the beaches yesterday & my guess is that the next few days will be the same. I has planned lunch at the beach yesterday, but didn't want to get soaked, so we went to Topolo's instead and stayed nice and dry :)

If you've been here all summer long, this change in weather is a welcome relief & probably signals the end of the hot/humid summer season.

Mazatlan
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hurricane Rick - real time

I was just down at the docks talking to the Port Captain & some friends. They were talking about how calm the air was - hardly even a breeze - they were a little worried.

We've got the cruise ship Norwegian Star in port & it looks like they'll be here for the next 2 days.

I should go stock up on beer & ice :)