We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

my moms advice on how to not get sick - is it good advice?

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
okanagan, bc
11 posts
Save Topic
my moms advice on how to not get sick - is it good advice?

Hi, booked a trip to Mazatlan with my husband and am staying at the Fiesta Inn in January. When I told my mom she warned me to:

- never eat salad or uncooked veggies

- don't eat fruit

- no drinks with ice cubes or crushed ice

- never eat at a buffet - the food can be recycled and too old

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but basically she told me if its not fried or cooked very well, don't eat it. I've been to Cabo the last 2 times in 2 years and never got sick, but she said Mazatlan is an older city and I have to be more cautious.

What do you think? Is my mom right or too paranoid? What precautions do you take to not get sick while on holiday there? We are only there for a week, so would not want to ruin any of our days being stuck to the hotel room.

Thanks!!

okanagan, bc
11 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: my moms advice on how to not get sick - is it good advice?

Oh yes, I forgot to add :

- NEVER drink the water

- don't use tap water to brush your teeth

I'm sure I still forgot something!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: my moms advice on how to not get sick - is it good advice?

I've drank the water from the tap, I've eaten and drank everything on your list, and I have never -- yet -- gotten sick anywhere in Mexico, including our many, many trips to MZT.

I do, however, eat a yogurt a day for a couple weeks before leaving. Whether it does anything or not, I don't know.

If you have a weak stomach, maybe take that advice. I prefer to over-eat and over-drink until I can eat and drink no more when on vacation.

Sunriver, Oregon
Level Contributor
306 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: my moms advice on how to not get sick - is it good advice?

We had one get sick for the first time in 19 trips, this year. We figure you shouldn't put your finger in your mouth to whistle a pulmonia when you don't know what you may have came in contact with recently...other then that we have never had an issue. Have drank the drinks, ate the food, played in the ocean.....have used tap water, frozen water, bottled water......just use common sence.

BC Okanagan
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: my moms advice on how to not get sick - is it good advice?

Hey neighbor, dont worry, we brush our teeth with tap water, and we eat anything that aint still kickin`! Most hotels have purified water, or a sign near the tap with information about the water. I know nothing about the Fiesta, but someone will come along with info I am sure.

No bar or restaurant in the golden zone is going to serve you ice that is not made from purified water, so enjoy your nice frosty drinks. If all of us around here couldnt drink a cold one or nine, we wouldnt be going to Maz again and again!!

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: my moms advice on how to not get sick - is it good advice?

That advice may apply if you are in a very rural area but it is completely outdated for Mazatlan. I eat salads, fresh fruit(after washing) drink tap water at the El Cid, drink several drinks daily with ice in them and no worries. It is my understanding that Mazatlan has a relatively new water treatment plant and their water is just fine so...no worries. The only thing I would caution you about is some dairy products on the buffet lines.

Mountain View, CA
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: my moms advice on how to not get sick - is it good advice?

>What do you think? Is my mom right or too paranoid?

sorry to say but yes she is paranoid.

Lake Minnewawa, mn
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: my moms advice on how to not get sick - is it good advice?

We have been in MZT for years and have never been sick.

As with the others we eat, drink and use the tap water without problems.

A good sized chunk of the economy depends on happy travelers. People who are sick do not spend money and don't come back.

All MZT eateries do there utmost to make sure you will not get sick.

Come on and eat, drink and be merry.

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: my moms advice on how to not get sick - is it good advice?

">What do you think? Is my mom right or too paranoid?

sorry to say but yes she is paranoid."

I don't think she is paranoid she just has some very outdated information. I remember going to Mazatlan in the early eighties and getting Montezuma's Revenge big time. I think I got it at the Mexican fiesta at Playa in 1984.

Edited: 24 December 2009, 01:53
colorado
Level Contributor
157 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: my moms advice on how to not get sick - is it good advice?

Hola! In short, getting sick can ruin a VaCa so I think your Mom is just watching out for you guys. I've been to Mexico a million times and have had a GREAT time, but also some years have gotten super sick that it ruined my VaCa. I suggest being careful and not intake too many of the things you mentioned, but don't deprive yourself. Also with all the extra sun and fun (maybe more alcohol than usual) drink lots of extra water (and yes why not be extra cautious and make it bottled) to stay hydrated. Dehydration is what I think makes a lot of people feel sick. Have fun, it's a wonderful experience!!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
747 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: my moms advice on how to not get sick - is it good advice?

I drink bottle water but brush my teeth with the tap water...I don't eat off buffets but I don't do that in the states....We always peel our fruit and vegies , and wash them well.. never been sick...love my drinks with ice ...The fruit is so darn good down there, I would hate to not eat it...

However everyone has there thoughts on how not to get sick in mexico. I have been sick twice in mexico once in cabo and once in mzt b0th were due to drinking to much alochol..so, I watch myself now :)

Hope you enjoy your visit..relax and kick back..all will be good :) Cherrs

Edited: 24 December 2009, 03:00