We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report January 12 - 28

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
405 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report January 12 - 28

We feel like Mazatlan is our home away from home!

Stayed at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay for our first time as owners. We have always stayed at the El Cid El Morrow or Marina and so this was different for us. Location - yes it was a ways out but it was ok for us. Wake up walk the beach, enjoy lounge chairs on the beach or near the pool or in the pool, order beverages, play volley ball, enjoy other pool/poolside activities, paint pottery, order snacks or lunch poolside, order beverages, relax in the hamocks or swinging bed, view the fish, lizards and birds and plantings on the grounds head to the room in the afternoon or evening and get ready for going out on the town. Everyday in the later afternoon or evening we took the PB shuttle between the two resorts and it was very easy to do and ran often enough for us. The quality of PBEB was great. Lots to do there and we enjoyed every part of it. (see resort review for other details) Some days that we did not want to wait for the shuttle we got a cab. It was 80 to 100 pesos from PBEB to PB MAZ and then the price went up from there to 150 pesos to the ElCid/The Inn area and up from there. We tipped the maid Bertha $5.00 every day and she went above and beyond everyday! But then she brought us a little gift on our last day - it was thougthful of her and she had a note with it too. The second week we had a different maid and she did just the basics to get by and nothing more. We did still tip her but not as much as Bertha! We had good service from everyone of the staff.

The first week it was very quiet and not many people when we were out walking the GZ and by the end of the first week people starting showing up and it got busy over our last weekend there.

We ate out most every evening. Room service at PBEB a couple nights - the food and service was very good and cost was reasonable. We also went to Chilie Peppers, Gus Gus (the old one in the Gold Zone), Panchos, Vitores? (Italian in the GZ), Fat Fish (ribs on the grill), Mr. Lionso's, Mary's for a couple breakfasts, Bings for ice cream several times after an evening walk following dinner, Pappagyoes? at The Inn, The Bistro at PBEB, Pedor & Lolas in the square, Cilantros and more that I am not recalling. One place that we really wanted to try but ran out of time is Roy's. It is in the strip mall near Mr. Lionsos. Many people that we talked to said that they have two lobster and shrimp for about $13.00, you can bring your own wine if you want. Next time!

We walked the beach at PBEB each day. While exploring we saw many animals that washed up on the shore. 2 dolphins, 2 seals, a deer, a few eells? and even a dead whale washed up on the shore the morning after a brief storm came thru. The hotel staff worked on the situation with the whale as it smelled really bad, they could not move the huge thing and so they had a large tractor come the next day and it got burried in the sand. It was sad to see. My husband joked with friends of ours staying in the Gold Zone that we dont have any beach vendors up near us but that we have lots of "road or wave kill".

We spent a few days on the beach in the GZ at PB Maz and enjoyed purchasing some items from vendors. We also spent a couple days at The Inn Maz with friends and again enjoyed purchasing items from the vendors. This year we tried the fruit and veggies from the guy that walks the beach in the GZ. I forget his name, but it was great! Mango!!!! Yum!!!! Our favorite was the cucumber and hikama (spell?) with seasoning and lime on them - it is sooooo good!!! He is a great guy and will let you sample items too but then you really need to tip or purchase or both!

My son did the parasailing at PBEB. He is 13 and didnt weigh enough for the size parachute that they had so one of the workers went up with him. It cost us $40 and we gave the worker who went up with him a tip of $10.

Hubby and son went bottom fishing. Arranged it with "Patches" from around the pool at PBEB - cost $80/each plus $10 for fishing license. It was windy and they really should not have gone out but no refund for changing date etc. Well, hubby caught a grouper and a "rat fish" and son got very sick and did not catch anything. They cut the trip short as hubby felt bad for son being out there like that. Maybe next time!

I was treated to a surprise Swedish massage, manicure and pedicure at the PBEB Spa - surprise from hubby and kids. It was fantastic and a first for me!

We hired a driver for a few hours one day to tour us around and we enjoy this even though we do this every year - always something new to see. Up to the hill top look out and the docks to see the boats and the historic square and to the market area by the cathedral and the driver even took us to see somthing that he thought we would have never seen - racoons! It was too funny as we told him that we have them up here in the north. My kids got a kick out of this. We enjoy riding in the Palmonias when getting around and not walking.

One night there was eleven of us at Pedro and Lolas for dinner. The food was ok. The live music outdoors was great as always. We always enjoy the square with the vendors in the evenings - made some great purchases of jewelry items.

We walked and walked and shopped and shopped and ate and ate and tipped a few here and there too! We miss it already and now we are freezing our you know whats off! Until next time!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
747 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report January 12 - 28

nice report...sounds like you all had a grand time...my turn is coming in march and I can hardly wait...so happy to be returning to mzt for two weeks of pure relaxtion and fun :)

Have a question : how much was you tour of the city? I am garthering you just used one of the taxi's for that?

Edited: 30 January 2010, 03:18
BC Okanagan
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report January 12 - 28

Ahhhh Harley, your TR sounds like the perfect vacation to me. Just the right amount of wandering,shopping, eating and exploring.

Thanks for sharing.

calgary
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report January 12 - 28

That was a great TR.Thank you.

In defence of your driver, the animals he showed you were probably Coatis, which are indeed a kind of Raccoon, but not quite the same as the ones up north.

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report January 12 - 28

Great trip report. I'm sure the service people were glad to see the tips--especially this year...

Seattle
Level Contributor
426 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report January 12 - 28

Great report. Who was your driver?

Freeessshhh Frruuuiiittt Guy is Riki (Enrique) Cucumber thing is my favorite. Great guy, gave us a little seashell sculpture as a gift. For years I thought -- fresh fruit, yea, right...maybe in a margurita...Once you try some your hooked for life.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
405 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report January 12 - 28

Yes our touring around was in a Pulmonia and the driver quoted $20.00 for and hour to an hour-n-half, so we made a deal with him that we would pay that but we were not sure how long we wanted him. We paid $20 per hour as was good for us.

I might also add that we went from The Inn Maz to Mega to get some items and to look for a fishing pole for our son. Well we got the usuall beverages, Chuouoa Cheese (not sure of spelling but very good cheese!), juice, bananas, few sweets and then found they only had a couple fishing poles but no reals. So now we were off to see where to find this. Well many drivers outside Mega see us coming with a few boxes of goodies and they all want to drive us. One driver was more calm and not so pushy so we talked with him and said we need to find a fishing pole and real. So he got on the phone and got some recommendations of places to go to. After trying a couple stores in the same area - Soriana, Sams Club - he had a membership that could get us in - well just across the street from Soriana there is a small specialty shop for fishing only and so there we bought a pole with real and a couple lures. We ended up leaving the pole there as hubby did not want to deal with it coming back. Next time they will bring their own items and plan ahead. Anyways this driver was great too and took us around to get what we needed and then we paid 150 pesos from Mega to Soriana to specialty fishing store to PBEB.

Hubby and son are out on our lake here today participating in our Winter Carnival Ice Fishing Contest - the sun is out but only about 5 degrees! I bet they wish they were in MAZ!

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
931 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report January 12 - 28

my fave from the Fresh Fruit vendor was Jicama & Coconut with lime and chili - can't WAIT to see him on the beach!!

Thanks for mentioning the small fishing shop. Do you recall if it had "local" type lures, or anything that would make a good souvenir? My father is an avid flyfisherman and would love a treat from a store like that.

Canada
Level Contributor
596 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report January 12 - 28

Great trip report! It sounds like u had a good time!! The people of Mazatlan always do there best to make visits to their city a good experience and will help u to find what u need!!!

Omaha
Level Contributor
87 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report January 12 - 28

Thanks for the report. We will be at PBEB this Wednesday. Our first time there as owners. Especially thanks for the restaurant, beach report, and tips for the cleaning staff.

Omaha
Level Contributor
87 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report January 12 - 28

Thanks for the report. We will be at PBEB this Wednesday. Our first time there as owners. Especially thanks for the restaurant, beach report, and tips for the cleaning staff.