We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Speaking of Carnaval....

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,745 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Speaking of Carnaval....

Or would Circus be a better description? This was a traffic nightmare rivaling Semana Santa! Those working in the south Golden Zone on the weekend had a tough time escaping to get home. Check out the cars parked in the streets AND on the sidewalks!

www.noroeste.com.mx/ver_fotos.php…

www.noroeste.com.mx/publicaciones.php…

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,721 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Speaking of Carnaval....

OK...

Now I have a few reservations...we are arriving in Mazatlan on February 11th.

Didn't know anything about Carnival when I booked.

Was hoping to take in Carnival, but, a little worried, as we do not know our way around.

Will it be too overwhelming for Mazatlan newbies?

Jude

Edited: 31 January 2010, 19:13
Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Speaking of Carnaval....

You should be fine. When we made our first reservations in Mazatlan, we didn't know it was Carnaval either, and had a great time. My husband liked all the street bands. My favorite was the parade. The atmosphere along the Malecon is so festive.

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,745 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Speaking of Carnaval....

What happened in the Golden Zone on the weekend had nothing to do with Carnaval events. Carnaval bands and parties will be contained in Olas Altas area. The newspaper referred to this weekend's affair as a carnaval because of the atmosphere it created.

There was a huge free event with Colmillo Norteño and some comedians, which drew huge crowds of people some of whom were dancing in the streets (with the double parked cars!). The event was near the area between Mr. Tony's and Valentino's at the parking lot by Sumbawa, but the band was so loud it could be heard for blocks.

There should be some fall out, because the newspaper mentions young people bringing liquor through the security checks, with security being totally outnumbered by the size of the crowd, and also that the convenience store was selling alcohol late, and without checking ID's. People staying in that area would have been none too happy about the noise either.

Edited: 31 January 2010, 19:58
Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,066 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Speaking of Carnaval....

If you do not do anything else, go to the Parade & Fireworks show, you can see both by walking just 4-5 blocks east of Valintinos.

Leave when you think they are over / winding down, it gets very crowded very fast & transportation is hard to come by when the crowds make their way to Valentinos.

Carnival itself is fun but be aware of the pitfalls; try to stay close to the entrance & get ahead the crowds before they close the place for the night. it is a very long walk to anywhere & very hard to find any type of transportation when they close.

If you are too far down Olas Atlas when they close, go up the side street near "The Shrimp Bucket" you can usually get a taxi or Pulmonia there.

Watch for the electrical cords crossing the streets to the bandstands while walking, & make sure your pockkets are buttoned & purses held tight wherever you travel.

There are alot of pick pockets in Maz that time of year

I am sure there is more good advice to follow.

Have fun.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Speaking of Carnaval....

Thanks for clarifying Mazzi. The details didn't seem right for a Carnaval event.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,721 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Speaking of Carnaval....

Thanks, you guys, I feel better now.

Time for a new adventure!

Even though we are up there in age... 60's..we love new memories...keeps us traveling while we can...

Thanksm

Jude

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,513 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Speaking of Carnaval....

In short the Golden Zone is affected very little by Carnaval, BUT if you want to be part of the action it is only a taxi ride away--and back.

Lake Minnewawa, mn
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Speaking of Carnaval....

The only impact I have noticed in the GZ during carnaval is on Sunday night during the parade.

Bus service becomes next to non-existant. When the parade is over there is a rush on the taxis. Because of this taxi rates become very high, often three times what you would normally pay.

If you are not going to participate in any Carnaval activity you may want to plan your restaurant choice or whatever you wish to do to someplace within walking distance.

9. Re: Speaking of Carnaval....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2010, 05:19