We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another ATM ???

Arkansas
Level Contributor
590 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Another ATM ???

Forgive an old lady---haven't used ATM's out of country before. I found out tht our bank has a 2.00dollar charge but that the Mexican bank will have an additional charge. Can anyone tell me what that charge is ? I thank you.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Another ATM ???

I have never had a fee charged by the MX banks. On the machines it says there will be a minimal amount charged but it seems that the message is directed to the local account holders. The only time there was a fee was when I used a privately owned machine, which are rare here by the way and are very apparent that they are not owned by a bank.

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another ATM ???

We use a Bank Of America credit card to access cash from the ATMs

We had never been charged a fee for using any ATM machine in Mexico until we used the machine outside Pueblo Bonito Maz. last year & were charged $3.50 U.S. funds per use by the Mexican bank that owned it.

When I saw this on our statement & called to see what had happened the nice lady explained that with the exception one banks machine, we can expect to be charged when using our card to get cash in the future.

This year we used Santander sp? bank machine & had no fee charged to our card----so far.

Mazatlán, Sin...
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Another ATM ???

Although the Mexican ATMs almost always show a $7.50 peso (about 65 cents U.S. right now) for using a "foreign" debit card or credit card, few, if any, U.S. banks pass this through to you. BUT remember to always press the YES button when this charge is displayed, otherwise the ATM will just give your card back.

Edited: 16 February 2010, 23:02
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
749 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another ATM ???

yup B of A has informed me that using santander atms will cause no fees to my account, if I use any other bank atm there will ve a fee..

Arkansas
Level Contributor
590 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another ATM ???

Thanks. We ;don't have BofA card---we have another - wonder if that makes a difference.

6. Re: Another ATM ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2010, 08:15