We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maz - Feb 12th to Feb 26th

Edmonton
Level Contributor
176 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Maz - Feb 12th to Feb 26th

To start off, We did NOT like Mazatlan one bit!!!! the first day, the second day it was ok, by the third day we were in love with the place.

When we got there we were picked up by King David, everything went smoothly, as we drove down the highway and into Maz all you really see to begin with is graffitti, gargbage beside the highway and a lot of shacks that look like they are going to fall down. You think well O.K , you aren't in the hotel zone yet. Well things didn't change that much.

We pulled up to the Inn at Mazatlan, It looked fine. We were told they upgraded us to a one bedroom from a junior suite. We thought, Wow thats cool. Then thay took us to the room. When we walked in, the sitting room looked fine , then off to the side the bedroom was good, and then off to the kitchen. Well it was a tiny room with a fridge, stove, counter and small table. The room was very clean except for the kitchen, it wasn't filthy it just wasn't real clean.

Next we noticed it didn't have a coffee pot. (I need my coffee n the morning.) We went down and asked first if they had any other rooms, thay said no. Then we asked if they could send up a coffee Maker. (No Problem) We went back to the room, unpacked, went down reminded them again, went for dinner and when we came back still no coffee maker. Phoned down again. Well they finally sent one up, well guess what, the bottom of the pot was all cracked. When I phoned down again he accually said "Are you sure and well maybe it will still work" Also he said well he could not send another one up but maybe tomorrow.?

(All I could think of was, what mistake we made picking Maz for a destination)

The next day we noticed the view off our belcony, it was amazing.

Obviously the place started to look better to us. We went down for breakfast and then went to the front desk to tell them what happened the night before. I also remembered we were suppose to have a microwave in our room, so we told them about that as well.

We got back to our room, a few minutes later the head housekeeper came up., looked at our coffee maker and wanted us to pay 200 pecos because it was cracked. Ya you guessed it I Freaked. I won't go into all details but we got problem solved. A bout a half a hour later they also brought us up a microwave. Like I said the second day was just Ok.

Once all the store and restaurants are open it doesn't look as bad, as a matter of fact it looked kind of cool, then when you start talking to the people it even made it better.

Now you know our first few days, not great! Sorry but I had to get that out first. Now for our review:

Restaurants - I can't mention them all because we acually forgot half of there names.

Gus y Gus - Great food, we had dinner a few times there, always great food and service, had breakfast as well there, again great food and service, In the evening just a fun place to be.

Marys - across from the Inn, Wonderful breakfast and lunch, Mary and Grabreil were so nice, The first evening we went there Mary gave me a massage while I was eating, telling me I looked tired. I was. Also they have a guy working there, I forget his name but he has so much energy and is so fun a person just loves to watch him.

Munchkins - All you can eat ribs, ya right. You can't even finish the first set of ribs, let a lone asking for more. good food at a great price.

Ricco's - Wonderful breakfast (Great florentine eggs) Also they make the coffee one cup at a time. Takes awhile but very good.

Shrimp Bucket - Lots of food , Ok taste, not increadible but not bad either.

Panama - Excellent, excellent tasting food, you just have to go. We were to full after eating the food to try the pasteries but they did look wonderful.

Mr Ricco's - We went here because we felt bad for him because his restaurant was so slow. Well the first steak my husband ordered came well done, (he orderd rare) Sent it back, it came back frozen (not joking) I laughed so hard. They did end up heating it a bit so he could eat it. The waiter was so nice though we didn't even get upset.

Fat fish - Got there at about 4:45pm, happy hour starts at 5pm. Ordered ribs, thay were great, even better tasting then munchkins. If you don't get there early you will be waiting in a line up.

We did go to many other restaurants there that were very good but we forgot to write down the names.

I am getting so tired now so I will continue writing some later, after my nap. (I went to sleep at One in the morning and woke up this morning 4:30am)

so to be continued,

Rocc.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
778 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maz - Feb 12th to Feb 26th

Nice report...Yup the drive from the airport to the golden zone can be shocking and eye opening that your in another county....The poeple are great down there that's for sure...Simple promblems seem to get sloved in mzt but in a far slower pace then what one is use too for sure...Glad you warmed up to mzt and hope you'll return..

BC Okanagan
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maz - Feb 12th to Feb 26th

Thats great Rocc. It is an adjustment when you are used to what things look like at home. But like you found out, once you dont expect home, you start to really get a feel for the place and the people.

Looking forward to the rest of your report, especially about how things progressed at the Inn. Hopefully better! There are lots of regulars that love it and its staff, fingers crossed that you just had a bad start due to someone elses bad day.

Edited: 27 February 2010, 19:43
calgary
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maz - Feb 12th to Feb 26th

Thanks for a nice report. I believe the transformation you describe is something a lot of us can relate to.

I remember my first cab ride from the airport. The collection or graffiti covered run down buildings you pass are, I believe part of Villa Union and not Mazatlan at all. They made me a little uneasy, but not nearly as uneasy as my driver's maniacal driving made me. We spent the first night in my father in law's ground floor apartment in the Golden Zone which also made us a little anxious.

The next morning we got up very early and walked on the beach on a perfect morning. Bought some fresh fruit for breakfast. Walked along the malecon and then flagged down a bus to centro, where we visited the market , the cathedral, the opera house and plaza machado. This was all in one morning. When we got back to the GZ that afternoon, everything looked better to us too, even though nothing had changed except us.

Edited: 27 February 2010, 22:15
Mazatlán, Sin...
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Maz - Feb 12th to Feb 26th

cowtown, That would have been a mighty long trip from the airport if you actually went through Villa Union, which is about 10-15 miles south of the airport turnoff, rather than north where Mazatlán is. LOL

What you probably were going through was the rather poor, working-class suburb of Urias. Note: both Urias and Villa Union are IN Mazatlán, since Mazatlán is officially a rather large county (bigger than the state of Rhode Island) rather than just the urban area we (and most locals) call Mazatlán. There is no official City of Mazatlán.

Edited: 27 February 2010, 22:44
Edmonton
Level Contributor
176 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maz - Feb 12th to Feb 26th

Well I'm awake from my nap;

Inn at Mazatlan- After our initial problems everything ran very smoothly, in the end we were very glad we had the room we had, the view was perfect, it was on the third floor above the pool. The housekeeper we had came in just about every morning before 11am to clean the room, I think maybe twice it was a little later. Every morning we would sit out on the belcony with our coffee and watch all the workers at the Inn keeping it clean. The pool cleaner started at 5:30am every morning, there was constantly people sweeping or trimming the grass, even mopping the sidewalks. The grounds of the hotel is emmaculate. We also got smiles or an hola every time you turned around. The service at the pool was great. It also amazed us that when you paid them for drinks at the pool and told them to keep the change they seemed genuinely surprised and greatful.

When we walked down the beach, we didn't stop at every hotel but the ones we did, the Inn seem so much cleaner. They just work so hard to keep it that way.

Oh ya, The day after they brought us up the new pot for the coffee maker, the coffee maker stopped working altogether. LOL . We put it in the cupboard and went to Walmart and bought a new one.

Shopping - I think we went through every shop in the hotel zone, down every side street, for the most part it was the same trinkets you can get any where but we did find a few different things from other places we've been to. We also went to old Mazatlan and went through most of those shops as well. Also Walmart, Mega and a couple of Malls. I didn't really like the market at old mazatlan, there were alot of flies and the smell when you got near the meat was pretty over whelming.

Stone Island - We took the tour there, they go around a couple of the islands, past the sealions and then to Stone Island. The boat ride kind of did me in. (I get sea sick) Even taking gravol didn't help. We went horseback riding when we were there, a nice little ride but the saddles, my husband swore they were made of rock. Then we ate lunch and instead of waiting and taking the boat back with every one else we just took the watertaxi, much faster. I didn't find Stone Island that exciting, not much to do. Maybe if I would of felt better, it would of been better.

Melocon - I don't think I spelled that right. We got dropped of by taxi at the beginning of it and just started walking. My husband got bored after about a 1/4 of the way, I loved it. Just walking and looking out at the ocean.

Cathedral in Old Mazatlan- A must see, it is just amazing inside and out.

Salsa, Salsa, Mazatlan - Even though it is really a cruise ship excursion we went to La Flores the day before and booked it. It was so much fun. You learn to make about 5 or 6 different kinds of salsa, drink as many margaritas you want, you also make a real mexican margarita. (straight alcohol and a little bit of lime) Leonique and Pamala make everyone feel so welcome, there was about 70 people there and I'm sure they remembered every single persons name. They joked around alot while they were teaching you which made it fun. After every one was finished making and eating there salsa's the tables were all moved and then you learned to salsa dance. Again just a lot of fun in the sun.

Time share sharks - Yes there is a lot of them, at least one on every block, I didn't really find them that bad. A no thank you usually worked, they do continue to talked though as you walk away. Only once did a women acually started following us. My husband turned, looked at her and said "I SAID NO" her responce was "Maybe tomorrow?" LOL. Theres also one in Gus y Gus's named David. He was so nice, as soon as he realized we didn't want do any presentation he never asked us again but he was always just willing to give us any information we needed at anytime. Just a great guy. We also were only asked once at the Inn the first day and that was it.

Oh I almost forgot about the shrimp dude on the beach, we got shrimp from him twice and cooked it at the Inn and then bought 20 bags the day before we left to bring home. Also the fresh fruit guy on the beach as well, I had never before had lime poured on my fruit before, now I'm not sure I want it any other way.

In the end we had a great Vacation and I can thank not only the people from Mazatlan but alot of you on this forum for giving us great advice before we went.

Any one going to Maz and if you feel the way we did the first day just remember to be open minded, don't fret the little things, make the best of it and before you know you'll be having a great time.

Rocc.

BC Okanagan
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maz - Feb 12th to Feb 26th

Rocc, Wonderful report, thank you so much for posting it.

``Any one going to Maz and if you feel the way we did the first day just remember to be open minded, don't fret the little things, make the best of it and before you know you'll be having a great time.``

Fantastic advise!

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,540 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maz - Feb 12th to Feb 26th

Great report. You reminded me of a funny story concerning my snobbish twin grand daughters from North Carolina. I picked them up from the airport on their first rip to Mazatlan when they were seventeen years old. I drove them down a side street in Urias--near the dump--and you could plainly see their noses go up. When I pulled up to one of the old houses, I said, "OK, everybody out, home sweet home!" Just as one of them opened their mouth to respond, I said, "just kidding," put the car in drive and drove to our home in El Dorado. We still laugh about the joke on them. I did make them go on the dump tour during the week--and they actually enjoyed it.

8. Re: Maz - Feb 12th to Feb 26th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Mazatlan