We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jay Walking

BC Okanagan
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Jay Walking

Hello, my name is Mama40 and I am a serial jaywalker.

That being said.....I just learned that Jaywalking in Maz is a no no! I never slow traffic, because thats just rude, but lets face it, they are NOT going to slow down for you anyway. LOL. But I do dodge and jog across streets instead of walking all the way to an intersection.

If there are others like me out there, please join me in saying no to Jaywalking.

Just being a tourist, we are not going to know if things are "acceptable" or not. In my area, jaywalking isnt that big of deal, but talking to a local, I learned that in Maz it is.

So, another lesson learned folks. Cheers.

left coast canada
Level Contributor
493 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Jay Walking

It's almost unavoidable, and certainly a common occurrence. But you are correct, the pedestrian is fair game once off the sidewalk.

In Mazatlan the cars assume the right of way.

Edited: 06 March 2010, 17:54
Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,476 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jay Walking

I jaywalk all the time. But I recognize that wherever a pedestrian is, he is fair game for a vehicle. I have been chased out of an intersection by someone that made a right turn when I had the light in my favor, and I have been chased out of intersection when someone ran a red light. My philosophy has become, watch out for yourself and assume nothing, as the traffic signs and signals seem to be only "recommendations." LOL

BC Okanagan
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jay Walking

LOL, Good to see that I am not alone. So be an aware jaywalker? And watch your a$$! In my neighborhood I have people rev their engines at me with a grin, I just...."wave" back with a bigger grin ;)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
749 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jay Walking

yup I do it too!!! Never knew it was a no no is mzt, because it's down alot!!! learn somehting new everyday...not sure if I can stop either, but I'll try to cut back :)

Brunswick, Georgia
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jay Walking

Jay walking is a no no??? OK, I am a serial offender as well. Not only that, I am guilty of contributing to the delinquency of Maz Newbies as I have often said. ...(when on the sidewalk needing /wanting to be on the other side of the street)....."When I say go...GO!!!". So it will be a bad habit to break, but good to know. Thanks Mama!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jay Walking

You could slowly crawl across any street in MZT compared to what you are up against on the Costera in ACA. No challenge at all to you or the cars.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,581 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jay Walking

LOL Mama40. Glad to see you have begun your 12 step program! Just for your info, all my cars have target sights on the front fenders! Really! I didn't put them there, they came with the cars! Honest!

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jay Walking

All the years I've lived here I have never seen a cop approach a pedestrian about where they have walked or crossed. This is a new one on me. The driver is always responsible, whether they show respect for pedestrians or not.

A friend crossed in the middle of the street in the Golden Zone, a bus pulled away from the curb at about the same time, the driver not seeing her, and hit her. The bus driver was held at fault until she signed a statement releasing him from jail. The bus union told her they were responsible for medical expenses.

Edited: 07 March 2010, 08:26
Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jay Walking

P.S. (Used up my 1 edit credit in the last post)

I want to clarify, as a warning to pedestrians, that even if you decide to go to the end of one of the long blocks to cross, crossing at the corner does not mean cars will stop for you. They won't. You still have to cross when the coast is clear, as the poster who yells "go" says. Even though cars are held at fault, it's a given deal that the pedestrian crosses only when there are no cars coming, no matter what area of the block you are in.

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jay Walking

Thanks for the information Mama40. Although I may consider walking to the intersection after reading this, I will just wait until it's clear and Go! LOL