We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Times are a changing.

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
409 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Times are a changing.

We have been traveling to Mazatlan for about 10 years and have never had any problems. Our super safe oasis of Mazatlan is changing. I went to Acapulco many years ago and didnt feel safe so I never went back. Then we found our little slice of Paradise....Mazatlan. I have always felt safe and never had any worries during our trips to this lovely city.

I realize that the latest events (concerning safety) have involved drug dealers and police. I just think with the economy being as bad as it is (all over) that people will be getting more brazen and desperate.

Our friends are in Mazatlan right now and have been there for about 5 weeks. They are very comfortable with the bus system and the city in general. She actually had some pick pocket guy slit her tote with a razor as she was getting on the bus at the market. She assumes it was to get her wallet and purchases she had in the tote. She said there was also a bank held up at gun point since they've been in town. These sort of activities are not anything we have normally experienced but apparently they are happening.

I think with the economy being as bad as it is that petty crime is probably on the rise (all over) not just in Mazatlan. I realize we need not cause hysteria but people do need to plan/proceed with caution.

I have a trip planned for December 2010. I normally dont have issue with going out at night and taking cabs all the way back to PBEB. I may reconsidering doing those things and just doing my activities in town during the day instead. I think common sense needs to be used when traveling anywhere but people should be aware that things are happening and they may just need to be a little more cafeful than normal.

Safe travels :)

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
956 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Times are a changing.

I was in the bank when it happened. He did not rob the bank, he was never inside. He was attempting to rob someone outside. The bank manager saw him, locked the door and the police were all over the man in a manner of moments.

calgary
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Times are a changing.

I never considered Mazatlan to be a "super safe Oasis." I think the faux Mexico area at Disney World might be a super safe Oasis, but no big city anywhere in the world could be accurately described that way. In any group of half a million people or more there are going to be a few bad folks included. I am leaving on Friday for a week in Maz. I won't be walking alone at night. I will be avoiding large groups of young men drinking in public. I will not be drunk in public myself. I will be keeping my wallet in my front pocket and will not be flashing money or expensive electronic gadgets around. In other words, I will be doing exactly what I did before.

Thanks for the accurate information about the "bank robbery" Sandy. That is a perfect example of why we should not be posting third hand accounts of crimes. Hearsay is very rarely reliable.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Times are a changing.

They must have good bank security. I heard that same story about "he was never inside. He was attempting to rob someone outside... saw him, locked the door" before we left for Mzt in November last year.

The lesson here is use the banks and not atm's right outside maybe!

BC Okanagan
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Times are a changing.

LOL, oooh boy! The banks in my town have been ACTUALLY robbed lots of times...and gasp...I still go in!

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Times are a changing.

As long as I've been alive (long time) Mexico has always had that bugaboo of being completely lawless and nothings changed in fifty years. When there is an incident it's shameful how often the US media just mentions Mexico with the same broadbrush mentality that has been pervasive for decades. So if we follow that convoluted logic people in North Dakota should worry about the crime taking place in Watts, California. It is up to the critical thinker to weigh the risk of traveling to a particular destination or not. If you rely on the US Press you will make bad decisions. Unfortunately many people buy in to the misinformation and hysteria.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
956 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Times are a changing.

rchpjf-- I cannot comment on what happened during the alleged bank incident last November. I did not see that one, only the one last week.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Times are a changing.

poolds,

I do not doubt your story or even suggesting it's urban legend. I just wasn't sure if it was starting to become a more popular crime of convenience. I'm sure the bank guard's and/or manager's primary responsibility is the bank and locking the doors is smart.

I was just hinting that people should not be complacent right outside banks even in daylight. Always be aware of surroundings.

And thank you for your post. These are the things that make people realize it's not everybody's vacation while you're there.

calgary
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Times are a changing.

I don't see anything in Sandy's account that suggests that the victim of the robbery was using an ATM. I would think it more likely it was someone who was depositing a large amount of cash acquired through the course of his business at the end of the day and that the robber was familiar with this routine.

Ontario
Level Contributor
3,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Times are a changing.

You see, the trouble with threads like this is that what often starts out as an honest posting with facts, rapidly degenerates as some will editorialize, pontificate, whine and gripe with absolutely no basis in truth, guess....oh sorry, hint.....and preach a lesson or two for the day for us mere mortals.

Give it a rest....you know who you are!

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,716 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Times are a changing.

Exactly right, Cowtown. These types of robberies are organized ahead of time, and "inside" jobs are not uncommon. Someone tips off an accomplice that there are thousands of pesos en route to be deposited in the bank. Usually they don't wait until the bank parking lot, though. The thieves must have gotten caught in traffic, speaking of things that are getting worse.

The news media and officials up north are having a blast, though, aren't they? And stuff authored on some of the forums is just bizarre. Pure fiction. What isn't pure fiction, is mostly hearsay aka semi-fiction. Mostly as a result of the language barrier and not being able to read or understand the news in Spanish.

While we are on the topic of crimes, there are nasty perverted crimes that occur regularly outside Mexico, that don't really happen in Mexico, and I think that's because our "system" takes care of these types in a special way. They know they don't get to go to a hotel-like jail system here, rather the opposite, and almost always on a one-way ticket (if they even make it to the jail in one piece).

To refer to Mazatlan (or any place on this planet) "super safe" seems a little odd to me, but then again, it is a really safe place to live and visit. It's a real city with real things. In fact. I can't think of a safer place off the top of my head and I have traveled a lot..