We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torres Mazatlan

alberta
5 posts
Save Topic
Torres Mazatlan

We are staying there in Mid April for 10 days. Can anyone who has stayed there before or any locals tell me about it.

Is there grocrey shopping close by? What should one look at.

Do we take a cab from Airport?

Some pointers please. I was told it is outside the Golden Zone which is probably good because of everything that is going on there right now. What is the general feeling around there?

Thanks

From ABCanada

Sunriver, Oregon
Level Contributor
306 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Torres Mazatlan

I LOVE Torres.....Just grab a cab, most will haul 3-4 plus luggage. If more then that use one of the vans. Small store on property, but grab a pulmonia and take you to a big storee didn't end up with gramps points, but still go out when we are in town. They have a fab chicken avacado sandwich, and the Sunday Brunch is killer.

But don't forget to explore....wonderful things to see and do...never get bored and I have done over 20 trips.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Torres Mazatlan

We had some beautiful meals at La Palapa restaurant

That chicken avocado sandwich. Yummy

Great staff and atmosphere and it shows. The small shop there was surprisingly well stocked,

BC Okanagan
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Torres Mazatlan

We stay next door and love the Torres for breakfast, lunch, dinner, & drinks.

It is an easy ride to town for your major groceries. Just hop a bus or Pulmonia right outside your front gates.

We love the quiet beach, yet its only minutes from town with all the great restaurants and shopping . If you look at my pictures in my profile you will see some shots of the Torres and the beach looking both north and south.

alberta
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Torres Mazatlan

Thanks for the information. What can you tell me about safety down there? When were you there last.

What should we do and not due re: safety....

thanks

grannyAlberta

BC Okanagan
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Torres Mazatlan

Judy was just down there, and I am sure she will be back today sometime to answer any current safety concerns.

Until then, here is a funny trip report in response to safety. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150792-i257-k3474…

Remember that any criminal activity has been the same as at home. If you wear expensive watches or chains, flash lots of cash, you are going to be a target for robbery, just like at home. And granny, dont go trying to horn in on the local drug trade, they frown on that too ;) heheeeehee

alberta
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Torres Mazatlan

Thanks for the information. Will wait to see what "Judy" has to say. And no worries on the "drug" trade business. Don't think I am that interested.

Just want to go down and have a safe relaxing time without worrying evrytime we want to leave torres to venture afield.

GrannyAlberta.....

SWUSA
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Torres Mazatlan

"If you look at my pictures in my profile you will see some shots of the Torres and the beach looking both north and south."

I don't see them. I think you mean "Playa Mazatlan"? Do you have any Torres photos? Thx

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Torres Mazatlan

Well, here I am with my opinion.

I really have to tell you that if you regard your safety issues, much the same way you do at home, I can't see a problem.

We walked from the El Rancho to the Torres at night many times, just like home to me.

In a whole month, I never personally experienced or saw anything to cause a concern, and we went everywhere...one end of the city to the other many times.

I was surprised at all the help I received from the Pulmonia drivers(my favorite). They even helped me put my groceries in the villa. I now want to drive a Pulmonia!

We are planning a trip to Vancouver in May, and frankly I probably will see more safety concerns there.

The safety issue has been blown way out of the water as far as I am concerned, we never had an anxious moment, and we drove by the recent shooting of the 2 police officers 15 minutes after it happened.

Mazatlan has a professional police department to handle these situations. By the way, there were three murders in the Saskatoon area while we were in Mazatlan, nobody I know is moving away. I believe possibly one was drug related.

So, I say go and have fun at the Torres, it is a great place.

On another note, I do have a funny story about safety, a personal experience of mine while I was down there.

Perhaps I'll share it in another message later.

Jude

alberta
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Torres Mazatlan

Thanks for the advise. Is there anything special that you would suggest to do? There are four of us and while we like shopping we also like a bit of adventure. and of course eating - what are the prices like down there. how did your Canadian dollar fare against US/Pesos.....

What was the Torres itself like?? Clean , beach, pool etc.....while we are not looking for ultra luxury, can you say whether or not it is at least "comfortable like an old couch"...?

Edited: 23 March 2010, 16:57
BC Okanagan
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Torres Mazatlan

Ooops, sorry, I thought I had more pics on here. Will fix that today.

I do have some here on the Wikimap. wikimapia.org/…b

Click on Costa Bonita Paraiso and you will see my pics. It is right beside the Torres.

I have never been in the Torres, but the grounds, pool, washrooms and restaurant are all perfect, so I would imagine the rest of the place is as well.

We do have other members that have stayed there, so I am sure you will get some first hand knowledge soon. Until then, read the reviews, they seem to be pretty good over all.