We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update On The Maxipista (Toll Road) From Durango To Mazatlan

California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Topic
Update On The Maxipista (Toll Road) From Durango To Mazatlan

In the future driving to Mazatlan via Texas will be dramatically improved due to the long awaited Maxipista from Durango to Mazatlan. In another thread this subject was brought up, however only pictures can really illuminate what a monumental undertaking this road is.

It is estimated it will cut the driving time from Durango to Mazatlan by at least 2 to 3 hours. More importantly perhaps than the time, it will turn a two lane road with a harrowing series of switchback turns into a safe modern highway. The series of incredible bridges withe mind numbing vistas will combine with more than 60 tunnels to create what must be one of the grandest journeys in the world.

highestbridges.com/wiki/index.php…

Edited: 18 April 2010, 02:17
Ontario
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Update On The Maxipista (Toll Road) From Durango To Mazatlan

Some readers might be interested in what I learned fairly recently about this road.

Apparently, the upgrade to the Devils Elbow road through Durango is THE major infrastructure that the Mexican government is supporting, to the tune of billions of pesos. The reason? It will indeed bring Texas that much closer to Mazatlan. The grand plan is to restore Mazatlan as the major port on the Mexican Pacific coast, and with an easy entree into Texas, there you go to the rest of the U.S.A.

This is why Mazatlan is growing in size, for no apparent reason right now. But if this happens, as some hope, and Mazatlan becomes the major Pacific port, as opposed to California, Seattle, and Vancouver, all of which are pricing themselves out of business, then the city will change its character somewhat.

Makes sense to me, and I'm not really worried about the future of the city. After all, I came from Liverpool, and the Beatles, which wasn't all bad, was it?

And the construction that I have heard about is indeed impressive, and world class.

California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Update On The Maxipista (Toll Road) From Durango To Mazatlan

neils you're correct in talking about the expansion of the Mazatlan port with an eye toward doing through Texas to the South and East Coast of the U.S. However the appeal of using Mazatlan for goods coming in from the Far East is even more so for Arizona. While the Durango road will help with the Texas part of the equation, both the roads AND a major railway to Nogales / Tucson already exist. Rail lines to Texas aren't very direct.

From Tucson or Nogales goods from rerouted by truck or rail LA, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver, etc. The rail line is particularly attractive for large items like cars and trucks to be transhipped to places like Atlanta, Chicago, and New York. No doubt over time this will in at least some ways change the character of Mazatlan. However it's likely to be very gradual as opposed to quick, and Maz is already a good sized city where tourism is significant, but not the end all for jobs.

3. Re: Update On The Maxipista (Toll Road) From Durango To Mazatlan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 April 2010, 07:35
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
778 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Update On The Maxipista (Toll Road) From Durango To Mazatlan

wow great link aquemaz..I love the pictures...such pretty county as well... Great info from neils and warren as well :)

5. Re: Update On The Maxipista (Toll Road) From Durango To Mazatlan

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 April 2010, 06:35
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
778 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Update On The Maxipista (Toll Road) From Durango To Mazatlan

oh wow all the other info is gone...to bad...yup I thought your post was relevent as well....

left coast canada
Level Contributor
493 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Update On The Maxipista (Toll Road) From Durango To Mazatlan

Unbelievable!

Team ostrich in action.

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,810 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Update On The Maxipista (Toll Road) From Durango To Mazatlan

How about reposting your messages? Or asking to have them reinstated? I'd be interested in reading what you posted.

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Update On The Maxipista (Toll Road) From Durango To Mazatlan

"Great info from neils and warren"

It WAS great info and now it's gone.

A couple of mine are gone also ( posts about how good a gym is ) so I really don't understand why certain ones vanish and others don't.

At least the pictures are still here ( of the bridge being built )

10. Re: Update On The Maxipista (Toll Road) From Durango To Mazatlan

Removed on: 18 April 2010, 22:05