We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bag Fees

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
6 posts
Save Topic
Bag Fees

We will be traveling to Mazatlan to visit Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay June 12-19th. We will fly US Airways from Portland Oregon. Will we be required to pay a fee to check our bags? If so, is there a fee for both ways or just one way? Any other tips you might pass along for our visit?

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bag Fees

Yes there is a fee for each direction for all checked bags, unless you are flying First Class. Check their website for rates.

Texas
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bag Fees

We were not charged for bags returning from Maz last year on US Air. Flying down we were.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,763 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bag Fees

usairways.com/en-US/…baggagepolicies.html

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bag Fees

I've flown on U.S. Air quite a lot and this year was the first time I've ever been charged for the FIRST bag. It was $25 per passenger so that's $50 and then Ed got charged a larger amount for his second bag ( imagine that....a Man bringing more stuff than a woman! )

They were also VERY stringent about the weights of the bags and we had to take stuff out of one and stuff it into another one etc.

On the way back however, I wasn't charged anything for the bag.

I really think it changes daily and I think whoever is manning the check in counter has a lot to do with it also.

( What sort of mood they are in that particular day etc. )

Portland, Oregon
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bag Fees

Thanks so much for all your helpful responses. Since there will be 5 of us flying, I think we will try to only check 2 or 3 bags. I'm told we can each bring a carry-on and a "personal" item (such as a VERY LARGE PURSE?? :o)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
747 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bag Fees

estefania,

We traveled in march with ak air...We were down for two weeks and took only one checked bag....It worked well and there are lots of places to have your clothes cleaned for cheap....I found it cost less to have are clothes cleaned down in mzt then to pay for another checked bag....Besides we had our swimmsuits on more then are clothes anyways...Have a great trip and enjoy mzt...

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bag Fees

If you are taking a laptop STUFF the bag with anything that will fit in it. A laptop is considered a *mans purse* so a man can take that and a carry on.

Take the biggest purse you own and put heavy stuff in it like shoes etc.

Also, if you can.....weigh your checked baggage before you get to the airport.

It's embarrassing when they make you re-arrange everything at the counter. Everyone behind you gets irritated and I don't blame them. I asked Ed last night if he remembered how much his second bag cost and he said it was $40 so our total for bags was $90

8. Re: Bag Fees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 April 2010, 01:33
Edited: 21 April 2010, 01:33
Texas
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bag Fees

I have a question, why is it that on most posts on this site have to turn confrontational? Every time I return to view posts most of the replies are deleted. WOW!

Edited: 20 April 2010, 23:50
10. Re: Bag Fees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 May 2010, 21:22