We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent a car...or?

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
webster
1 post
Save Topic
Rent a car...or?

My family and I will be traveling to Mazatlan at the end of the month. It will be our first time. Is a rental car necessary? I dont think it is but my sister is questioning it. Also, Ive heard its unsafe to leave the resort in the evening. Any opinions? Thanks!

Canada
Level Contributor
81 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent a car...or?

Hello Ivey24,

I think is less safe to rent a car than it is to go out in the evening. You may have gotten those backwards... just bugging. I have found the taxis, pulmonias and buses to be great, inexpensive transportation. In wandering the streets at night regularly I have never had a problem. If you use common sense..... like sticking to main roads and populated areas... I doubt you would have any issues.

S.

calgary
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent a car...or?

You seem to be getting contradictory advice. If you shouldn't leave the resort, then what is the car for?

You definitely don't need a car in Mazatlan. There are various kinds of taxi vehicles everywhere and they are pretty cheap and safe to use. If you are game, there is also a good bus system that is in the words of the beach vendors almost free and safe as well. Some people do prefer to rent cars, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't have experience driving in Mexican cities. Mazatlan is a busy place with lots of traffic and the rules of the road and driving customs are different from those in the United States or Canada. Parking is also a problem in some areas.

You should definitely leave your resort and explore. You won't experience much of what Mazatlan has to offer otherwise. Its safe as long as you take reasonable precautions like you would at home.

Ontario
Level Contributor
2,997 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent a car...or?

ivey:

In a lifetime of travel, I have always had a rental car at my disposal. In six years of extended stays in Mazatlan, we have never rented a car. It is expensive - very - the buses, taxis and pulmonias are everything you could wish for, and all much less than a rental agreement, and the driving is , shall we say, stressful. And I didn't even mention parking.....

Forget the warnings about venturing out from your hotel at night. Stay on the beaten paths, and there is absolutely no problem.

You will enjoy your stay.

Mn
Level Contributor
107 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent a car...or?

Definitely don't rent a car. SO easy to grab a taxi, and the pulmonia's are funner and less expensive. Renting a car is STRESSFUL. You are there to relax...... also, of course leave the resort. You will be fine, enjoy yourself and immerse yourself in the mexican culture, that is what you will enjoy the most!

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rent a car...or?

Get out of the resort and enjoy the city and sights--during the day and evening. It is very safe and please experience the Pulmonia's. they look like overweight golf cart taxis and the drivers are very good, entertaining and helpful. Be sure and agree on a price before getting aboard.

Colorado
Level Contributor
405 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rent a car...or?

I would say Maz has better transportation options than many US cities, so no a car isn't necessary. Also, Maz is a city so use precautions you would in any city any you will be fine.

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rent a car...or?

Yeah I've never felt the need for a rental car in Mazatlan, especially when I see how frenetic traffic is. I once commented to a pulmonia driver that traffic is crazy and it amazes me there aren't more accidents. He responded, "We're very religious!" LOL

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,543 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rent a car...or?

I always recommend AGAINST a rental car. They know the rules of the road here, you do not. You know where you want to go, you just don't know where it is. There are very few street signs, and they can be in odd places when they are there. Parking EVERYWHERE is a problem. Liability issues. (If you dent someones fender at 9 a.m. you day is shot. If it is more seroius, your

day, and possibly your entire vacation, is shot.)

As frantic as things are here in Mazatlan, I drove (With a couple Mexican buddy's) to Tepic a few years ago and they warned me, as we got to the city, "Watch out Roger. People in Tepic are VERY agressive drivers!" They were RIGHT! No rules applied there at all.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,291 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rent a car...or?

No car. IMHO it would be a hinderance, not a convenience. The main streets are busy and parking is an issue. The bus transportation is so frequent and so inexpensive.. And very well marked. A bus goes frequently to just about anywhere a tourist visitor would wish. 8 pesos last October.

Cabs and pulmonias (open air taxi) are everywhere. Large groups (up to 8 or 10 depending on size.....size of people) and get a "red truck" and get to where they wish.

Tours out of town Conciordia, Copala, ususally are run by a tour company. You can go by car yourself, but IMHO the experience is better in a group.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,291 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rent a car...or?

Leave the resort at night? Yes, by all means. We usually do leave the resort at night for dinner. Walk to a nearby place. Take a bus to the Golden Zone and find a restaurant there. Take the bus or a cab back to resort. The cabs and pulmonias are all over the place. They know where potential fares are and are ready when you are.

A typical evening would be restaurant at 6:30PM. Eat in an hour or so. Walk on the beach (lighted of course) or shop a bit, Get an ice cream at the DQ, take a bus back to the resort.

Or if we go to the historic area, we might be at the resaurant at 7:00PM, eat in an hour, roam around a bit (music --- people watch)and head back to resort.

Cabs and pulmonias are available. Tell the pulmonia driver to come back at a given time. They will be back!

Edited: 20 July 2010, 02:28