We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daily food costs estimate please!

Colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Daily food costs estimate please!

I'm coming to Maz two weeks in Nov/Dec. - have never been and so excited! Staying re my Wyndham points club at El Cid Moro Beach Hotel. I read that to buy the all inclusive is about $60 a day - do you just get that at the desk upon checkin? And if I decided NOT to do that, about how much would daily food be?? Trying to fix a budget item on that! I usually eat my biggest meal in middle of day, light in evening (traveling alone so do't go too far from hotel) and I do love buffet breakfast so eat midday later in the afternoon! Thanks!!

Ontario
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daily food costs estimate please!

Unless you drink like a fish, you could eat real well for a lot less than $60 a day! And probably better food than the AI option.

Colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daily food costs estimate please!

Thanks for the input; I don't drink so look forward to just enjoying good food! Is it best to always leave the hotel restaurants or are they similar in cost to out on the street restaurants?

Ontario
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daily food costs estimate please!

Prices will be similar - it all depends - but most would recommend you venture outside for the variety and quality. And where you are staying there are heaps of restaurants well within safe walking distance. If you search this site a little, you will find many comments on them.

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,500 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daily food costs estimate please!

Don't go AI. You can eat cheaper in other restaurants. Especially since you eat your biggest meal at noon. But IMHO choices for excellent food is more accessible in the evening. Lots of good places nearby--as Neils said...

oregon
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daily food costs estimate please!

is there a "don't miss" place?

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daily food costs estimate please!

If you look back through the Mazatlan forum, you will NEVER find anyone who has been here that recommends AI. Mazatlan has a host of restaurants. Hundreds, all over town. And the quality and selection far surpasses anything offered by any AI here. A rather expensive meal here would run $15 USD for diner. You CAN find more expensive, but it would take work. In most cases $10 will get you a good meal.

As to places not to miss, the list is very long. Do some looking and you will find many. Keep in mind, everyone has different standards and likes. But there are great restaurants in the ‘Gold Zone’ (Tourist area) and lots in downtown/old town also.

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,500 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Daily food costs estimate please!

It depends on what you're looking for. Food? Ambiance? Type of food? Special service? Cost? which meal? Entertainment? type of entertainment? The list goes on.

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,743 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Daily food costs estimate please!

Also, size of appetite. An appetizer, salad, or tortilla soup, can be a full meal to some.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,953 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Daily food costs estimate please!

Our average non-AI budget in Mexico is about $100 a day. (that is Canadian or US, say about 1000-1200 pesos)

BUT, that includes taxi and bus fare and minor shopping, too, as well as food and drink.....for food and drinks alone I would say about $75 for the two of us. :)

Some days are more and some less, depending....some days we eat at swankier places, some days we grab al pastor at a taqueria.

Edited: 25 August 2010, 17:36
Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Daily food costs estimate please!

Villa Italia is very good and it's across the street from the El Cid Castilla which is attached to the El Moro.

I think the last time we were there ( 3 of us ) the bill was about 1200 pesos but we had a bottle of wine.

There are restaurants everywhere. Some are very good and some aren't.....just like anywhere else you go.

I LOVE the convenience of AI at the Moro and just because you have it doesn't mean you are like a trapped rat. They do allow you to go elsewhere.

It includes EVERYTHING from your water to your lobsters and everything in between.

There are also different AIs available....at different prices.

Get answers to your questions about Mazatlan