We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to see and places to go

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Things to see and places to go

This trip I am NOT going to laze on the beach ALL day. Maybe just in the afternoons. These are the places I am definitely going to go to.

1. The Pacifico Brewery ( I'm going to try to buy a patio table umbrella )

2. The place where they hatch the turtles and let them waddle into the ocean. I don't know where or what it is but I know it exists.

3. Te Amo Lucys

4. El Capitan ( I've been to the old one but not the new one )

5. The Aroma spa ( in Centro )

6. LOTS of walking at a fast clip. At least 10 k a day. I'm sick of coming back home fat and lazy.

7. The animal shelter.

8. La Puntilla.

I need at least 5 more suggestions, so feel free.....

Lake Minnewawa, mn
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to see and places to go

I am not going to try to answer everything you have on your agenda.

#1 You cannot buy an umbrella at the Pacifico Brewery store.

After several years I did succeed in getting one. I will send you a private E as to how.

#2 The turtle hatchery is near Estrella Del Mar. El Cid is a sponser and they can help you with this.

#7 Check this site. www.amigosdelosanimalesmazatlan.com

#8 La Puntilla is near the end of the Sabalo-Centro bus line. Easy to get to.

More suggestions: Go to the top of the Freeman Hotel at sunset, go to the cruise ship dock when a ship is in, go to the Juan Carrusca Mercado and the Juarez Mercado

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,775 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to see and places to go

Try the new Diego's Beach House by the Costa Marinera Restaurant. It's really cool. Try at least one of the new Marina Restaurants....Gus y Gus is located there, with a nice vista of the Marina. Things will still be a little slow until on into November, but start picking up a little in October.

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to see and places to go

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll certainly do all of them but Mazzi....Is the Marina GusyGus as good as the original one? I LOVE that band at the original one.

I heard that the music at the Marina one had to be toned down due to complaints but I'll give it a shot.

I'm definitely going to try Diegos. 4 weeks and 2 days to go. Soon, I'm going to get my pesos....heh heh....it's a great rate now.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to see and places to go

Gillian, we really enjoyed the Pacifico Brewery tour! The view from the top is incredible. Bring your camera even though you cannot use it while taking the tour, because you CAN use it while you are in the "observation area" sipping on a free Pacifico!

Several years ago we took what I'd call a "booze cruise", which we scheduled through the Concierge at our hotel. It was relatively inexpensive, the food was lousy, and the drinks were so-so...but the atmosphere and the sights we saw were priceless! There were sea lions sunning on rocks...that made it all worthwhile to me! I'd go again!

Enjoy the next few weeks of planning!

Mazatlan
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to see and places to go

If you want a little more exercise, climb the hill just south of Olas Altas to the top where the lighthouse is located. Great view and then you can tell all your friends you've been to the highest operating lighthouse in the world.

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to see and places to go

Thanks Hourmom,

I was going to go to Stone Island again JUST to see the sea lions on the way over. I even enquired about JUST going to see them ( in June ) but I couldn't find a way to do it.

I've seen them 3 times and I"ll never forget them. The ones I saw were HUGE and very cute. The boat we were in got so close to them you could see their noses twitching. I wanted to pet them but the boat driver wouldn't let me. They were grunting and talking.....it was fantastic. I saw some at the aquarium once, but these ones on the rock were about triple the size of the aquarium ones.

I'm definitely going to the brewery. I'm going to pre arrange it ( like my braces ) so that I have a standing appointment and can't put it off.

Aldergrove.B.C.
Level Contributor
167 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to see and places to go

Gillian - Do you plan on pre-arranging the *turtle visit* or will you wait until you get to Mazatlan? We are staying at the Riu the first week of October and are interested in visiting the sanctuary as well. I have been on the site but was not sure how far the Riu was from there as well as if there was a fee?

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
366 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to see and places to go

You may want to check if Te Amo Lucy's is open before you head on over. I sent them an email and they told me they are in deep in the middle of renovation construction and they don't know when they will re-open.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
705 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to see and places to go

Gillian

i've been to both Gus y Gus many times and the new 1 is very nice but does not have the same atsomsphere as the old 1.

mark

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to see and places to go

Coffeecrew,

I don't know if I can pre arrange the turtle visit but I've sent an email to someone that works at the El Cid asking her about it and if it can be pre arranged she'll let me know. I think you have to go through Pronotours but I'm not sure.

The Riu is a LONG way from Estella Del Mar, actually everywhere is a long way from Estrella Del Mar. It's a high end golfing resort....that's all I know about it.

As soon as I find out about the turtle trip....I'll Private message you about it.

Jeepman,

Thanks for telling me that. That's disappointing but you never know. They MIGHT be open in time. I can just taste that double espresso and I was going to go there immediately after my braces were removed on October 6.

Oh well....I'll go another day.

Mark,

That's sort of what I thought. I honestly don't think the atmosphere ( or the band ) could be duplicated at another location. I like familiarity and I like to know what the place is like and that's why I go to the same ones all the time. LOL! I'm trying to break that habit though so I'll probably give it a shot.

Thanks!