We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel in October

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
2 posts
Save Topic
Travel in October

My family and I are travelling to Mazatlan 5-12 of October. I am really concerned about a hurricane and the safety of our children. We are staying at the Riu Emerald Bay. Any advice? Thanks so much!

Lake Minnewawa, mn
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel in October

I am sure you will receive replies from people who have traveled to MZT in October.

While you are waiting do a search.

Enter hurricanes in the search in Mazatlan forum at the top or bottom of the topics page

There are pages of posts on the subject of hurricanes.

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
622 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel in October

I have been to Mazatlan in Oct, and only ever saw rain for about 15 minutes. It was an amazing 15 minutes, as I have never seen rain like it, and I am from the west coast.

My mom is there every Oct, and will in fact be there for 3 weeks this year. She has never had any weather related issues.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,538 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel in October

You should have no problem. Mazatlan rarely has any effects from hurricanes as they seldom come close to us. But if one WERE to come near, the hotel will be very good about keeping you informed and making sure you are safe. If it were me, knowing what I know about Mazatlan, the weather, and the way tourists are watched out for, I would not give it another thought.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,276 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel in October

Ditto on October weathyer problems. We have been going in October for 7 years. Never had a weather issue until last year. Hurricane Rick came thru and knocked out power for 1/2 a day at the resort.. Minor flooding of the main streets, some trees down. The resorts all cleaned up amazingly quickly after the storm went thru.

We never felt threatened by Rick, rather it was pretty interesting. Most of the beachfront hotels and resorts are built of concrete and rebar. Riu included.

I'm not a meteorologist, but I don't think hurricanes are a frequent happening in October in Mazatlan. Some resident Maz expert will pick up on this and confirm or correct me.

Enjoy the Riu. Pretty nice resort.

Glendale, Arizona
Level Contributor
478 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel in October

And Ellen and I thank you for eventually letting us know we didn't have to sit in the dark and could make coffee if we found the emergency outlet with the generator power. Then all we had to worry about was if one of the palm trees dead in front of our patio would wind up alongside the couch.

Not sure if you recall, but we ALMOST got hit either the year earlier or one before that when we were at PBEB. That one petered out and just amounted to a short, heavy rain. I was down at the upper pool bar enjoying a cerveza and visiting with Jose during that rain.

And a couple years before that, one pummeled the area just north of MAZ. It leveled most of the trees along the main highway. We saw the devastation while driving down a week after but befoe the cleanup.

Hopefully, the hurricanes will avoid on this year.

Edited: 12 September 2010, 17:30
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,276 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel in October

I recall those named storms, but they were not hurricane force when they came onshore were they.

Glendale, Arizona
Level Contributor
478 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel in October

Oh yes. The one a few years back most certainly a hurricane. I believe it was Hurricane Lane in 2006. When it hit land, it was either a cat 2 or 3.

Lots of damage and several folks killed. Came ashore just north of Maz. Many of the bridges along the highway were GONE -- washed out. By the time we went down, however, they had built detours around the washed out areas.

There was a covenience store and restaurant on the highway between Maz and Cullican. When we drove down, it had been leveled. Most of the trees for miles, including lots of bigguns, had been snapped right at the bases. The median between the north and south lanes was covered with the debri where workers had stacked it to get it off the road.

The other one I mentioned where I was drinking beer at the pool bar petered out before it reached Maz. You guys were there for that one, and might recall that at PBEB they had removed all the tables, chairs and lounges from the pool areas.

Edited: 13 September 2010, 21:44
Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,709 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel in October

We haven't had a hurricane make landfall directly on Mazatlan for many years. The people who lived through that one will never forget. We seem to have a lucky location on the map!

9. Re: Travel in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2011, 06:16