We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question on travel alert

burnsville minnesota
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
question on travel alert

Hi All,

I wanted to know if anyone knows of anything specific that has happened in Mazatlan for the US government to list it in the travel alert. I know that things have happened in the state of sinaloa but Mazatlan? Everytime we have travelled there we haven't had a problem with anything. We love Mazatlan and the people we have met and want to continue to vacation in Maz. Thanks

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,582 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: question on travel alert

There have been some shootings in Mazatlan. In one case a 9 year old girl was hit in the ankle by a stray shot. It was, as are every other shooting in Mazatlan, drug cartel vs. drug cartel, The number of tourists, American or Canadian citizens killed or wounded in Mazatlan is still......ZERO. Thge State Department has always posted generic warnings. They have to to avoid being suied. If you were in Mazatlan today, as I am, you would not know anything has EVER happened.

Like always, anywhere, use your head. Don't hang out in bars where 90% of the people are young Mexicans driving new SUV's, wearing gold chains, and wiping their noses every few minuets.

2. Re: question on travel alert

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 September 2010, 18:10
Edited: 14 September 2010, 18:10
burnsville minnesota
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: question on travel alert

Thank you so much for responding to my post. I am not going to let this warning ruin a wonderful vacation. Being aware of our surroundings is as you said, just common sense.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
366 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: question on travel alert

Here on the Mazatlan forum any talk of travel warnings is quickly countered with talk of coconut shrimp. Anywhere that coconut shrimp is served such as Panchos, Gus y Gus, La Cueva de Leon and Mr. Liono's Playa Bruja restaurant are considered safe. So we recommend going to get coconut shrimp and everything will be just fine.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,582 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: question on travel alert

LOL Jeepman. Now I know how to ensure my safety. Except...............I don't like shrimp! OMG !! I'm a dead man!

Mazatlan
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: question on travel alert

"The number of tourists, American or Canadian citizens killed or wounded in Mazatlan is still......ZERO. "

This statement is not 100% accurate. No American or Canadian citizens have been killed, but wounded (gunfire & stabbings), yes. Carjacked, that too.

7. Re: question on travel alert

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 September 2010, 18:12
Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: question on travel alert

Mazhelp wrote: "this statement is not 100% accurate. No American or Canadian citizens have been killed, but wounded (gunfire & stabbings), yes. Carjacked, that too."

I am going to question this. Other than the well publicized trailer park incident last winter, involving the Canadian man (who was a winter resident and which was a story in itself), until this moment had not heard or read of any woundings by "stabbings or gunfire" of American or Canadian tourists.

Instead of throwing out random words designed to invoke fear, please respond to the posters direct question of "specific" incidents involving Canadian or American tourists, which would have caused this State department warning, or remove your post. Dates, places and other specific details would be useful for verification purposes. Please be specific to Mazatlan area.

And FYI, there have been random car-jackings, for more than the decade I have lived here. I want to hear about the stabbings and shootings of American or Canadian tourists, though.

Edited: 14 September 2010, 15:17
9. Re: question on travel alert

Removed on: 14 September 2010, 17:05
Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: question on travel alert

Actually, if a tourist wishes to party in a club at night, IN the tourist zone, they should have no fear of doing so as long as they use the same common sense they would use partying late at night anywhere. It's probably safer to party in Mazatlan's tourist zone clubs late at night than anywhere else in the world. People start late here, so to have fun, you have to go late.